Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Events
 Greenberg show - Fredericksburg, VA Feb 7-8
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Edison, New Jersey Feb 2015 - Greenberg Topic Next Topic: Columbus, Ohio Train Show  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 07 2015 :  11:11:43 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
My club put up an HO modular layout at this show, so I went Friday to help set up, and also early Saturday morning. I brought two sets of trains to run, but only managed to run my BLI J series #613, with some newly enhanced Athearn? N&W corrugated side passenger cars to run behind it. I ran it for well over an hour, and it did great.

I next took off at noon to go to my club's Open House in Quantico VA at the VRE train station,and ran my enhanced Tyco Auto racks, now swelled to 9 working cars, and put them out on the track for a test. I wound up taking 3 off later due to some coupler issues, but for the most part, they ran great. I was VERY pleased to see my Tyco / AMC auto racks circling the layout finally. Some layout issues keep derailing my fleet, but it was doing it to others,too, so not just my cars. I think I will eventually have 12 or so auto racks total with converted trucks and couplers. I will leave the others as X2F types, and use them in the background unloding or loading. At any rate, I had a huge smile on my face, as this Tyco project has been in the works for years, and finally getting it near finished. As far as the auto racks are concerned, I still am doing boxcars and flats for other AMC-related tasks. But for now, Phase 1 is about complete.

Those Athearn trucks and kadee's really helped make these cars work well now. Took a bit of work to get them this far, but I'm happy with how they've turned out. While the original racks came with 3 Camaros and 3 AMXs, I scrounged and changed out, so all these cars have AMXs on them now. I will probably put the Camaros on the stock Tyco units.
So it was a good day, with both projects turning out well and running fine for the most part. Will call it a day and be happy.

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 07 2015 :  11:43:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
no caboose?? boooooo

note the the 2nd pic with the Drive-Inn
the way the pic as took it looks like 2 pix were put together via photoshopped
there is a "line" on the loco hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 08 2015 :  06:44:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
That puzzled me, at first, too. Then, I noticed that the module on the right has a pane of glass on the front.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 08 2015 :  09:34:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Then, I noticed that the module on the right has a pane of glass on the front.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - February 08 2015 :  06:44:49 AM

Yes, module transition point, my club started putting up plexiglas fronts, as children started moving items around on the modules, so they decided to keep the little sticky fingers off of them this way. Not the best picture , but it was more in focus than others I had taken. :)

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - February 08 2015 :  3:24:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi AMC_Gremlin_GT,

Very nice work on the Auto Racks! I don't think I have ever seen more than a couple
together on any model layout.

It's nice to stand back an watch your work roll by.

Congrats on a job well done.

Mytyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 08 2015 :  5:05:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Look at all those autoloaders.But honestly, it's actually quite realistic if you think about it but at the same time, who gives a dang about realism?
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 11 2015 :  9:34:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I broke out my BLI J engine tonight, to check the coupler on the tender to see what was wrong with it. Found out it had taken a "smack" at one time, the head was bent up, and the top plastic plate was smashed, cracked, over-tightened, etc. I fiddled with it for about 30 minutes, but the darn "hose" is too long, no matter which way I bend it, it causes clearance problems, so I brought out the Kadee's I bought Tuesday, and installed a # 142, a slight overshank with whiskers, and the hose is way shorter, too. Plus replaced the entire BLI coupler pocket with a standard Kadee pocket. That got it pretty close to in gauge height now. I may have to go back to the mail car and replace that coupler, as I had replaced it wtih an undershank to reach the tender coupler, will check both tomorrow night, I have to dig out some longer track because that J engine is long! Plus with an 85' passenger car, it will need to be a 3' section anyway. But at least it's closer than it was, even if it did manage to run pretty good the way it was last Saturday.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Edison, New Jersey Feb 2015 - Greenberg Topic Next Topic: Columbus, Ohio Train Show  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000