Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Athearn Clinchfield SD45's
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Hi-F GP-9 lighting Topic Next Topic: Mint Athearn for sale...  

cadetpwr
Big Six

Posted - November 01 2014 :  11:48:01 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add cadetpwr to Buddylist
Years ago I picked up a pair of old blue box era, metal trucked, SD45's in black Clinchfield colors. They are not custom painted as there are no decals, its all factory style printed lettering. Are these Bev-Bel custom runs or did Athearn do a short run of these years ago. I have never seen another unit like them. I had fogotten that I left the pair at the local club layout, which is based on the old Clinchfield Railroad when I moved away in 2000 and judging by the cob webs and dust, they hadnt been out of the roundhouse since. Both members there tonight didnt think they had been run since I moved away. Both run but not well, need serviced. They came home with me tonight to get serviced and woke up from over a decade of slumber. Pics tomorrow. Mike
Still NT's, I have Aspergers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 308  ~  Member Since: November 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2023 Alert Moderator 

cadetpwr
Big Six

Posted - November 02 2014 :  09:50:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cadetpwr to Buddylist
They are custom painted, I got out the magnifiyer headset and they are done with decals, just very very well done! The decals are so closely cropped that you cannot see the film outline unless you really look for it very closely. Here is a picture of the pair sitting on my little layout. Still waiting thier turn into my backshop to clean out the dust from sitting for so long. Mike
[URL=http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cadetpwr/media/DSC07428_zpsc801db49.jpg.html] /tyco/forum/uploaded/cadetpwr/DSC07428_zpsc801db49.jpg [/URL]
[URL=http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cadetpwr/media/DSC07429_zpsda0d9996.jpg.html] /tyco/forum/uploaded/cadetpwr/DSC07429_zpsda0d9996.jpg [/URL]

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 308  ~  Member Since: November 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 02 2014 :  10:38:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I have an Athearn locomotive that had a very similar case to what you were trying to figure out. That engine was and Athearn GP35 or GP30 in Alaska Railroad livery. The customization on the model looks so good, you can barely tell it's actually a custom. The little flaws here and there on mine looks like just average 1970's quality paint and decals.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cadetpwr
Big Six

Posted - November 02 2014 :  11:57:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cadetpwr to Buddylist
I wish I could get the pilot face strips to turn out this good. I have no clue how the person got them to lay down so well over all the raised details and even down onto the footboards. WOW. I got these probably in the early 90's. I moved to PA to be with my future wife in late 2000. So they have sat unused since then. Our clubhouse will get 2-4 inches of water on the floor after a heavy rain, but the furnace/AC will dry it up fairly quickly. I have one of the units running nice and smooth now. Getting ready to tear into the second unit. A good basic cleaning of all contact points, fresh lightweight oil on the bearings. And my favorite oil to quite down the truck gears, steam cylinder oil for my G scale live steam engines. Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 308  ~  Member Since: November 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - November 13 2014 :  09:23:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
nicely done custom job for sure. The real CRR SD45's were ex SCL and never got the actual CRR scheme - they just relettered them from SCL and left them in the ACL/SCL black and yellow dual stripe scheme.
Larry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 251  ~  Member Since: May 04 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - November 13 2014 :  5:51:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
quote:
I wish I could get the pilot face strips to turn out this good. I have no clue how the person got them to lay down so well over all the raised details and even down onto the footboards. WOW. ...

Originally posted by cadetpwr - November 02 2014 :  11:57:29 AM

Try using MicroSol on the decals. Look on Youtube to see how it's done.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Hi-F GP-9 lighting Topic Next Topic: Mint Athearn for sale...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000