Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 39 ]  [ Total: 39 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 smoke units
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Can you help me find this part? Topic Next Topic: Mantua aluminum passenger car - chassis removal?  

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - October 24 2014 :  6:53:21 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
So, getting the bug to work on trains again (yay) since I've gutted most of my 2-8-0 for DCC work is there a simple smoke unit I can install?
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 24 2014 :  7:17:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Suethe is the only I can think of.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 24 2014 :  7:26:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That smoke unit idea has intrigued me once in a while. It'd be great if you did a photo post on the work involved in doing your smoke unit rgcw5.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - October 24 2014 :  10:15:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Ray,
With DCC be careful. Most smoke units pull quite a bit of current. If you connect it across the motor it may damage the decoder. If you tie it direct to the track, it will run at full output all the time.
Just a caution.
Regards, john
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 24 2014 :  10:34:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
Ray,
With DCC be careful. Most smoke units pull quite a bit of current. If you connect it across the motor it may damage the decoder. If you tie it direct to the track, it will run at full output all the time.
Just a caution.
Regards, john

Originally posted by JRG1951 - October 24 2014 :  10:15:35 PM

How about connecting a relay across the motor to control direct track power to the smoke unit?

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - October 25 2014 :  12:43:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Ray,
That could work, but the relay may only come on when the motor is at speed. It would be better to use an auxiliary output such as light function to turn the relay on or off. Even then you may need a driver circuit for the relay. That would allow you to turn the smoke on & off.
Regards, John
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 25 2014 :  8:24:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
A Seuthe unit will melt the plastic stack. Some AHM - Mehano units used them, but the smoke unit tube was used for the stack. Even then, I think they had a tendency to melt the smokebox.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - October 26 2014 :  03:45:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Ray,
I tend to agree with Nelson, If my new locomotives has a smoke unit in it, my common practice is to remove it. I have seen more than one plastic boiler deformed by the heat from these units.

If I was to really want a smoke unit, I would use a metal engine with a metal boiler, even then this project will not be straight forward. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Regards, John *********************

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book. <> Ronald Reagan

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 27 2014 :  06:54:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, not to mention that smoke fluid is basically mineral oil, which can make plastic brittle over time. Whatever fluid Tyco used did it to many of the 2-8-0 boilers, making it impossible to get them apart without them shattering.

I agree that smoke units are best left to the larger scales, especially old diecast & tinplate locos that were built for it. If you want an HO smoker, get a hold of a Gilbert 0-6-0 or Hudson for fun.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Can you help me find this part? Topic Next Topic: Mantua aluminum passenger car - chassis removal?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000