Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Events
 EVENT : Fall Carlisle PA Auto Flea Oct 1-4
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: This has become another place to just converse. Topic Next Topic: Train Show in Lynden, Washington  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 02 2014 :  9:44:48 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
While mostly automobiles of 1:1 scale, sometimes you can find some decent model train stuff buried among the vendors. Heading up from Virginia about 4 AM Friday, going to walk the fields and see what I find. Usually a few diecast autos come home with me from these trips. This fall show runs from Wednesday through Saturday, although many vendors have taken to leaving early, and Saturday's are becoming more sparse, one reason I want to go on a weekday.
Anyway, wish me luck, maybe I"ll find some vintage Mantua Tyco stuff. :) One can hope....

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 02 2014 :  9:48:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey I got a Carlisle Flea Market truck thats about HO from a train show in Denver of all places
see if they got any there
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 02 2014 :  9:50:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
hey I got a Carlisle Flea Market truck thats about HO from a train show in Denver of all places
see if they got any there

Originally posted by microbusss - October 02 2014 :  9:48:14 PM

They probably do. :) I'll be looking for diecast all day.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 02 2014 :  9:52:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well keep a eye out for them Majorette Shell or whatever trucks
Need the Tow Dollies for my Road Train set
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 03 2014 :  10:29:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Had a GREAT day at the big Auto Flea, I bought mostly diecast vehicles and model trains. I did find some vintage tune-up literature for some cars I'm interested in, and got those, but pretty much it was toys, toys, toys. < shhhhh - don't tell my wife! >

Anyway, found everything from N to G and in between. More trains this time than I think I've ever seen before. I found more than enough whole and project material to stuff my bags with. Here's a few pics from the Carlisle auto flea -

Will post some of my purchases later. I"m pooped! I know I walked quite a few miles today, and my lower back and feet are reminding me of it every minute now. I intend to sleep late tomorrow.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 03 2014 :  11:09:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
whoever made the Lehigh Valley loco used a 0-4-0 STEAM loco chassis
cheapskates

That isn't a bad price for that 2-8-4 C&O AHM loco $35

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 04 2014 :  12:30:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
The prices were reasonable on the plastic steam engines, the brass ones were priced in the 150-300 range. This was an estate, a guy died, his wife? sold the stuff to a neighbor, then that guy sold it to the guy who brought it to the venue. Apparently had a LOT of stuff. I just bought some $3 items from him, I was about out of money at that time.

Jerry

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 04 2014 :  1:05:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
what was the price on the Shop-Rite truck?

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 04 2014 :  4:07:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Ok, here's some pictures of what I bought at Carlisle on Friday. More trains than I'd seen before, that's for sure. Good pickin's if you wanted some. Some pricey, some not. Anyway, a fun day, but I"m paying for it today. Here we go.

Pretty good haul, the diecast selection was terrific, plenty of used, MOC, and others to be found. One guy had this entire lot of Yatming trucks, you just don't see those much, it was his childhood collection, only $1 each. I bought about 12 of them. Some unusual vehicles, like the Man from Uncle blue car ( fires a missile, which was missing ), and the BP tanker truck ( rare, and usually pricey, I got it for 3.50 ). Very happy with the day's take-homes.

Jerry

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 04 2014 :  10:38:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
What kind of deal did you get on the Presidential Seal Sof76?

And that red Lehigh Valley loco looks like it could be like one I had when I was a kid that ran on a six volt lantern battery installed in the power pack. I killed it when I tried to run it with my Lionel AC transformer. Make sure what kind of motor is in that thing before you give it power! Also, do you know who made it?

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 05 2014 :  12:22:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
What kind of deal did you get on the Presidential Seal Sof76?

And that red Lehigh Valley loco looks like it could be like one I had when I was a kid ..... Also, do you know who made it?

Originally posted by gmoney - October 04 2014 :  10:38:54 PM

I paid 20 for the Bicentennial. And it runs. :) Took a bit of cleaning, but it finally started moving quicker and quicker. No noises, either. I did get a good deal on it. I didn't even look at the seal when I bought it.

The red Lehigh is a Marx 0-27, it has the 3rd rail contact under it, it's no battery powered engine. Haven't tried it yet, may take it to my hobby shop job tomorrow and test it out there.

Jerry

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 05 2014 :  01:40:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:

The red Lehigh is a Marx 0-27, it has the 3rd rail contact under it, it's no battery powered engine.

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - October 05 2014 :  12:22:12 AM

The engine I had, had the 3rd rail contact under it, and it ran on 3-rail O27 track, but it had a DC motor in it, and track power was supplied by a 6-volt lantern battery. I ruined it by trying to run it with a Lionel AC transformer.

I don't pretend to know anything about your Marx engine, I just know it looks a lot like the one I burned up all those years ago, and I would be remiss if I did not speak up about it.

Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 05 2014 :  11:28:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
FedEx truck = gimmie
I has most of those trucks you got
Like the cheap Pepsi & soft drink ones

Yatming & Road Champs I look for at garage/yard sales Even at toy show AND train shows hehe

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 05 2014 :  7:40:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

The engine I had, had the 3rd rail contact under it, and it ran on 3-rail O27 track, but it had a DC motor in it, and track power was supplied by a 6-volt lantern battery. I ruined it by trying to run it with a Lionel AC transformer.

I don't pretend to know anything about your Marx engine, I just know it looks a lot like the one I burned up all those years ago, and I would be remiss if I did not speak up about it.

Originally posted by gmoney - October 05 2014 :  01:40:24 AM

Well, lucky for me, you're not shy to share your information! Color me astonished, I took it to the hobby shop, and tried it with AC, and it was VERY jumpy and jittery, so I didn't run it long. AFter cleaning and lubing it, ti still did it, so I stopped quickly. Since I've read your post, I tried it with my DC Tyco transformer, and yeah, it IS a DC version! I didn't know Marx made a DC version 0-27.
From my electronics background, I know you can kill a small AC motor with DC near instantly, but a DC motor will not burn up immediately on AC ( after all, DCC is nothing but modulated digital AC going to a DC motor ). So I doubt I harmed it much. And I didn't try it but 5-10 seconds at a time, either. Good call, Glenn! Thanks for that, I thought , looking at that sealed motor, that it looked suspiciously like a DC motor, but was unaware Marx had done one in 0-27 at all. Runs nicely on DC now! Appreciate your words of wisdom ( and experience ). Will have to try it out on a loop soon.

Jerry

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 05 2014 :  9:15:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Looks like you had a lot of fun there, AMC. Glad to hear it.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 05 2014 :  11:25:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Jerry, one of the big reasons we are here on this forum is to help each other out. I don't have a "lot" of knowledge, information, or experience to share, but what I do have I will share gladly, especially if it can prevent someone else from making the same mistakes I've made. I never would have thought anything good would come out of a foolish decision made by an impatient 7-year-old all those years ago! And I'd like to thank you for posting the pic of that loco because it helped me figure out who made that set I had then. I just figured that knowledge was lost to history!
Glenn

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 06 2014 :  12:03:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
From a Marx history website -

" Except for a couple of oddball sets, like the Lehigh Valley #112 70-tonner switcher, Marx O runs on AC power "

http://www.thortrains.net/marstart.html

So that must be the engine I have, the 70 tonner. Here's a picture of the original set

/tyco/forum/uploaded/amc_gremlin_gt/20141006000324_Marx_lehigh_set.jpg

Previous Topic: This has become another place to just converse. Topic Next Topic: Train Show in Lynden, Washington  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000