Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Marx Motive Power, Rolling Stock and Accessories
 Marx HO sets
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Oh so blue....Marx Wabash caboose Topic Next Topic: Marx Hudson motor access  

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - September 01 2014 :  10:02:54 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
In an antique store in White Sulphur Springs WV, saw 3-4 Marx train sets in their original boxes today. If I had the available cash I would have picked one up - they were all from $35-$40. One was the Rock Island set that Micro-B was looking for the caboose to...another had "Allstate" on it, with a NYC F7 loco.....

So were those really good prices or ???

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator 

waw47
Hudson

Posted - September 01 2014 :  10:36:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
Without pictures, it is hard to say. The rare Marx HO items are the Rocket Launcher Car, Erie Flat Car with the Cabin Cruiser load and the metal Santa Fe Passenger cars.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 01 2014 :  10:49:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Well, I'd say if it had the box, was a complete set, and you like Marx HO, then it's a great deal. Rare items or no, 40 bucks is pretty cheap for all that in my opinion. If your goal is to resell (higher), then I'd say you may hold onto them awhile, I don't think many Marx collectors care for the HO at all. I've got more than a bit of Marx 0-27 and HO, and like them both. I hope to have a consist of them to run behind a Marx HO engine someday that is DCC'ed at shows. I'd like a full train of Tyco , Marx, Bachmann, Life-Like, Varney, Cox, Lionel and AF HO consists to run. I've got more than a few cars of each type by now, but Varney and AF engines are rather scarce, and pretty clunky in some ways.

Anyway, I think those were fantastic prices, and would have bought them myself at that price. Buying to resell is a whole 'nother game, though, and they might stick with you awhile if that was what you were thinking. But it's a very reasonable price as far as I'm concerned.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 02 2014 :  09:14:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I don't need the caboose
I got one already
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - September 02 2014 :  12:27:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
I don't need the caboose
I got one already

Originally posted by microbusss - September 02 2014 :  09:14:37 AM

Yes Micro-B, I knew that...otherwise I might have been tempted to get it just to torment you

Thanks everyone for the replies - I was kind of thinking the same thing, that they were great prices if was buying for myself and not resell.
I was a little edgy about it while I was there, he had a Tyco Santa Fe passenger set identical to one I got off ebay for $150 firm. The one I got was $60.

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - September 04 2014 :  09:07:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
The auto carrier and flatcar with two autos, with the cars, is a tough piece to find and worth a few bucks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 04 2014 :  09:41:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Well, I'd say if it had the box, was a complete set, and you like Marx HO, then it's a great deal. Rare items or no, 40 bucks is pretty cheap for all that in my opinion. If your goal is to resell (higher), then I'd say you may hold onto them awhile, I don't think many Marx collectors care for the HO at all. I've got more than a bit of Marx 0-27 and HO, and like them both. I hope to have a consist of them to run behind a Marx HO engine someday that is DCC'ed at shows. I'd like a full train of Tyco , Marx, Bachmann, Life-Like, Varney, Cox, Lionel and AF HO consists to run. I've got more than a few cars of each type by now, but Varney and AF engines are rather scarce, and pretty clunky in some ways.

Anyway, I think those were fantastic prices, and would have bought them myself at that price. Buying to resell is a whole 'nother game, though, and they might stick with you awhile if that was what you were thinking. But it's a very reasonable price as far as I'm concerned.

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - September 01 2014 :  10:49:08 PM

I'd have to agree to that one. That's cheap for a train set period really.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 04 2014 :  2:30:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Yes Micro-B, I knew that...otherwise I might have been tempted to get it just to torment you

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - September 02 2014 :  12:27:35 PM

well to be honest the Marx Rock Island caboose did have a silver & a black cupola
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - September 04 2014 :  3:42:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - September 02 2014 :  12:27:35 PM

well to be honest the Marx Rock Island caboose did have a silver & a black cupola

Originally posted by microbusss - September 04 2014 :  2:30:20 PM

Hmmm...well I imagine whatever cupola it had, it's still sitting in that antique shop - $35 firm

Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 05 2015 :  09:07:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
In an antique store in White Sulphur Springs WV, saw 3-4 Marx train sets in their original boxes today. If I had the available cash I would have picked one up - they were all from $35-$40. One was the Rock Island set that Micro-B was looking for the caboose to...another had "Allstate" on it, with a NYC F7 loco.....

So were those really good prices or ???

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - September 01 2014 :  10:02:54 PM

A boxed set of any train now would be 60 or 70 dollars. A older complete set in good condition with everything inside the box with original packaging should be 70 to 100 dollars. In the Antique shop towns up the Hudson, Peekskill, Cold Springs, and Beacon New York Any Marx, Gilbert, better Tyco set is over $100. In great condition triple that.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on October 05 2015 09:18:55 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 05 2015 :  09:40:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
The auto carrier and flatcar with two autos, with the cars, is a tough piece to find and worth a few bucks.

Originally posted by lvrr325 - September 04 2014 :  09:07:48 AM

* Look for one of the marx sets with a operating log dump car with logs , operating track, and log catch bin. Or the 2 level, 4 auto carrier car with loading ramp and the 4 cars. Or with the search light generator car. Or the flat car with old Criss-Craft cruiser boat. Or the NYC passenger set where the passenger car trucks are Bloomberg diesel trucks instead of regular passenger trucks. Or the Crem-Da-La-Crem , Rocket launcher car with operating consul and army guy in the operators seat. Yep all neat toy trains in HO by Marx. Sticking one of these under the Christmas tree, or on the layout to entertain other model train friends.
Also all Sears set made by Marx were labeled Allstate. They always had the Sears Santa-Fe box car or the Allstate tank car in them.
Frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 26 2016 :  06:49:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
This is my Marx train set with New Haven F3a, Santa Fe boxcar, Erie car carrier car, matching New Haven caboose. If you have noticed, the Marx name is nowhere to be seen on the box cover. On one of the box covers sides is the Marx name and address in smaller print.
frank

Train set box for Marx set # 64475;

Train set inside;

This set has a lot of track;

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 17 2020 08:15:03 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 26 2016 :  07:04:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** The set I got last week is Marx Sears Allstate Train set #9942.
*** The set has a New haven 0-4-0t #20 for power. A ATSF Box car, A Allstate tank car, A Erie flat car with tractor and trailer. The trailer alone goes onto the flat car for transportation. Another car is the Western Maryland gondola red with speed lettering, and last the New Haven red bay window caboose C-630.

Marx Sears train set box cover set # 9942.

Sears set # 9942.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 26 2016 :  07:29:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
At Allentown's Merchant Square Mall on 4-14-2013 just visiting the mall . At the train store run by the man who runs the train shows, I found this Marx Sears set #9940. priced cheep. The boat car is worth more than I payed for the set.
Sears set 9940 box cover is identical to set 9942 listed previously, the set contains:
** New Haven F3a, Sears box car, white Rocket fuel tank car, Lehigh valley coal car with coal load with a pipe load, Erie flat car with Criss-Craft boat load, and matching New Haven 3 window, copula caboose.

The Sears Marx set 9940;

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 07 2016 08:10:34 AM

IslandTrains
Little Six

Posted - February 07 2016 :  08:46:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add IslandTrains to Buddylist
There's a fellow selling this Marx set for $90 cdn. Is this a fair price? Are these decent running trains? What year would this be from?

Thanks
Todd
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 143  ~  Member Since: March 22 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 07 2016 :  09:31:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cool thats like my Rock Island set but with a blue background

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 01 2017 :  06:43:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Set # 17840. Just before Christmas, I got this Marx set at a train show. A New York Central 0-4-0T like in the first set posted powers the set. The logo on the loco is different then on the first. Marx had 2 different ones. Also, the NYC bay window isn't red like on other sets. This one is green. It also came in brown.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 10 2020 09:43:53 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 30 2017 :  11:54:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
There's a fellow selling this Marx set for $90 cdn. Is this a fair price? Are these decent running trains? What year would this be from?

Thanks
Todd

Originally posted by IslandTrains - February 07 2016 :  08:46:25 AM

** Fair is what the buying public of that time decides. At this time, now, the average price for a Marx set with a 0-4-0 or a small diesel with out any special cars. its track and power pack is about $50. An engine and caboose with 2 or 3 cars go at about that price. Once you throw in cars of colors not seen much, or Flats complete with their loads, or operating cars, or other special cars the price will most likely be higher. A Hudson set with 3 or 4 regular cars will be around $70. I have never bought a Hudson set because I have 6 or 7 Hudson's and many common cars, so when I see any 4-6-4 set with nothing special I just don't ask for a price if it is low, I might be interested. I do see quite a few of them. Many Marx sets come with accessories, not just a circle of track and a power pack, but more and better track, better cars, buildings, scenic items, toys, especially the large sets made for Sears. I am not forgetting Marx F3-A & B's, or GP-7's. These are wonderful, tough, locomotives. But as all Marx's is made for the toy market and can not be called highly detailed items. Marx HO unlike Lionel HO doesn't get as affected by age and storage. Also, all their drives are geared only. None of that combination gear and drive belt drive mechanisms, like on Lionel's original GP-7, FA-1, and most steam locomotives. When you get a Marx Engine, your chances of getting it running are much greater.

* As to price, well what effects that the most are what the dealer got the piece or set for. All your negotiating will not help if the price is where no profit can be made. The dealer has to pay for his sale items, his trip to and from the sale site. The table cost is not cheap. Never mind the time for preparation, repairing items set up, and repacking of what he has.

* If you like trains, you go to these events that you can make it to. Maybe you will see something you like, you'll get it and enjoy having it.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 17 2020 08:26:55 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 10 2020 :  07:53:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A Marx set I seem not to have posted.

Set #17522 New Haven 0-4-0 switcher set with Blue Allstate tank car, Huron and Portland cement covered hopper, 3 color 3 window new Haven caboose.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 10 2020 09:27:10 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 10 2020 :  08:05:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Another Marx set 17522 NYC with the same number as the last one the New haven switcher set. This one is an NYC switcher set. That same number is used for other sets of the same consist in WP and RI as well. Somehow Marx must have known what sets were in their boxes.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2021 11:06:57 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 10 2020 :  08:41:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A Marx set, unboxed that I got at the New Hope PA. train show last Feb -2-2020. Also there I bought a Marx GP-7 in Northern Pacific colors and a brown Virginia hopper. Here is a photo of the trains for a set # 16522. The brown Virginia Hopper was not a part of the set.

set info copied from Marx site for set 16522.

16522 - New Haven black 4 wheel deisel Switcher set.
Engine: New Haven black small 4 wheel diesel switcher.
Cars: Orange Santa Fe boxcar, blue Chesapeake & Ohio gondola, green Sinclair tank car, black New Haven bay window caboose
Track: Yes Transformer: Yes

I used another box to show the set of cars I got that day. The NH black caboose is a rare car.

frank

So within the box that contained these Marx trains that was so nicely labeled with a magic marker #16522. I found the set.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2021 11:10:56 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 10 2020 :  09:03:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
This is one of 4 sets I have added today in the posts directly below. Also added are NH set #16522, NYC set 17522, and another NH set 17522.

Sears Allstate set #9941
About 2 months ago on eBay, I won an auction for a Sears Hudson powered set #9941. Up to then I never was able to get a set with a 4-6-4 Hudson a part of it. Along with the big engine came an NYC crane and a flat car with two original Marx Chrysler sedans on it. Lots of toys here in this set even a Lehigh Valley flat car with a wood load on it!
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 10 2020 3:27:53 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 17 2020 :  08:50:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 17 2020 :  10:06:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 18 2020 :  5:04:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I admit I want a few of the cars in the Marx sets
like the boat on flatcar, cars on flatcar, trailer on flatcar & the 4 cars on the car carrier
I keep wanting to spell Marx as Marks

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 31 2020 :  2:02:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey I found the Sears ATSF boxcar!

yes I should get a pic of my RI set & put it in here
  Previous Topic: Oh so blue....Marx Wabash caboose Topic Next Topic: Marx Hudson motor access  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000