Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 What is your oldest model train?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Demographics: How old are you? Topic Next Topic: What is your favorite model train that you own?  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 05 2014 :  6:53:42 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Basically post pictures and stuff about your oldest model train. It can be a locomotive or rolling stock. Or both if you managed to put a rolling stock case on a motor somehow. Anyway, here's mine. An old 1963-1964 Arnold Rapido New Haven switcher with some cars that I got at my local train show earlier this year for $15.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 05 2014 :  7:05:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
mm I'd say that'd be my now completed Marx Rock Island set
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 05 2014 :  7:18:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
I would say these are my oldest pieces, a couple of Mantuas that belonged to my dad. I still have the original trucks and hook/loop couplers.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 05 2014 :  9:26:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
My oldest engine would be this '49 Marklin HR800...

...my oldest car this '47 Mantua 'boose...

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

fritdude
Switcher

Posted - May 06 2014 :  05:44:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add fritdude to Buddylist

Lionel 1668 Torpedo, in Gunmetal. Dates to 1936. Fully functioning, with e-unit. All original. One of my favorites, and only runs a few times each year.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 46  ~  Member Since: December 11 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 06 2014 :  10:36:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Lionel 1668 Torpedo, in Gunmetal. Dates to 1936. Fully functioning, with e-unit. All original. One of my favorites, and only runs a few times each year.

Originally posted by fritdude - May 06 2014 :  05:44:26 AM

I don't blame you for not running it much, man.It looks so good it's unbelievable.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - May 08 2014 :  12:12:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
My 2 oldest model trains are a Lionel Blue Streak set from the late 30's and Lionel torpedo locomotive with freight cars. They were given to me by my grandfather who had them in storage for many years, in very good condition with the original packaging as well. As I recall the set came with some track and an operating gateman accessory.

photo is not mine, from the internet as my old Lionel trains are safely packed away for the moment.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - May 08 2014 :  12:58:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Cool vintage trains. Jerry, that is so fine that those cars were your Dad's.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 08 2014 :  09:56:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
My 2 oldest model trains are a Lionel Blue Streak set from the late 30's and Lionel torpedo locomotive with freight cars. They were given to me by my grandfather who had them in storage for many years, in very good condition with the original packaging as well. As I recall the set came with some track and an operating gateman accessory.

photo is not mine, from the internet as my old Lionel trains are safely packed away for the moment.

Originally posted by ChessieRR - May 08 2014 :  12:12:58 AM

Man, I love those vintage Lionel trains. They're so cool.All Lionel makes in their regular product line is cheap, junky, and over priced trains. There's actually someone on Youtube who ranted about the 2014 Lionel catalog. On Youtube, search Tomixnscale89, go to his channel and you'll find it. It's one of his newer videos. Anyway, he pretty much sums up how Lionel is doing these days.

-Steve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 08 2014 :  11:17:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
me too! I may not want Lionels except the years when General Mills had them but any Lionel still cool
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - May 08 2014 :  7:44:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The oldest thing in my collection is a set of aluminum streamliners made by a Canadian company called Grant in the mid 50's. I have six of them.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - May 08 2014 :  7:48:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Cheez - those things are BEAUTIFUL. Those older aluminum streamliners are a definite favorite of mine.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 12 2014 :  01:16:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
1937 Lionel model 263-e in gunmetal grey. picture coming soon.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 12 2014 :  09:57:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
1937 Lionel model 263-e in gunmetal grey. picture coming soon.

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - May 12 2014 :  01:16:02 AM

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

-Steve

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - May 13 2014 :  8:40:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Mine's a tie, I'm not sure what car is oldest.

I've got a Walthers outside-braced 40' box from either 1937 or 38, I'm pretty sure 37, which makes it the FIRST year of Walthers HO.
There's also that 1938/39 varney tinplate observation that I got for 50 cents, I was able to salvage all the parts except the actual tinplate shell - the sprung trucks were still good.
Just last weekend I found something new, an early Walthers wood-and-metal heavyweight Pullman that I'm guessing is from somewhere between 1939 and the end of the war, not too sure.
Finally there's that scratchbuilt C&NW quad hopper that I'm guessing is 1930s/40s but I'll never know.

I've also got a whole fleet of rotting, rusting cardboard-side reefers some of which are probably at least as old as 1940 but I haven't looked any of them up yet. There's like 50 of them around here.

Pictures someday maybe not. Y'all know I'm not good at pictures.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - May 14 2014 :  09:59:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Cheez - those things are BEAUTIFUL. Those older aluminum streamliners are a definite favorite of mine.

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - May 08 2014 :  7:48:05 PM

Mine too. I know the details are lacking and the windows are punched crooked, but to my eye they look much more realistic than any plastic cars.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 14 2014 :  10:07:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - May 08 2014 :  7:48:05 PM

Mine too. I know the details are lacking and the windows are punched crooked, but to my eye they look much more realistic than any plastic cars.

Originally posted by DaCheez - May 14 2014 :  09:59:48 AM

I know, right? I've actually seen metal coaches similar to those at train shows and they feel oddly realistic and Kadee couplers only make them more realistic.

-Steve

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - June 11 2014 :  12:46:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My oldest is an incomplete Walthers Baltic 4-6-4 steam locomotive. It was HO scale's very first kit constructed engine. Produced ~1937

Been absent a little while!

243 Active Topics!!! LOL!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 11 2014 :  1:02:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
My oldest is an incomplete Walthers Baltic 4-6-4 steam locomotive. It was HO scale's very first kit constructed engine. Produced ~1937

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - June 11 2014 :  12:46:36 PM

That right there belongs in some model railroad museum somewhere. Very neat piece of H0 model railroad history.

-Steve

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - June 11 2014 :  4:54:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - June 11 2014 :  12:46:36 PM

That is one AWESOME find there! Walthers' 1st year of HO kits... I'm jealous

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - June 12 2014 :  09:51:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
This is a very rare engine. So rare, most of those that knew about it are long gone. A friend of mine who is in poor health and up in age told me about it some 5-6 years ago. Since then I have be the hunt for a complete model. I managed to find the shell to this one in a pile of scrap, but I recognized some unique features about it and held onto it. Then i found the chassis attached to a boiler that was not original. When I combined them, I realized I had a matched set.

I bid on and lost the bid (Bid ~$400) for this model a couple years back. It was a complete engine and in awesome shape. It was not properly listed, but it was clearly the Walthers Baltic:

It has kind of been my personal mission to not let these old classic be forgotten. That's why I post photos with descriptions to flickr.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 12 2014 :  10:35:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
This is a very rare engine. So rare, most of those that knew about it are long gone. A friend of mine who is in poor health and up in age told me about it some 5-6 years ago. Since then I have be the hunt for a complete model. I managed to find the shell to this one in a pile of scrap, but I recognized some unique features about it and held onto it. Then i found the chassis attached to a boiler that was not original. When I combined them, I realized I had a matched set.

I bid on and lost the bid (Bid ~$400) for this model a couple years back. It was a complete engine and in awesome shape. It was not properly listed, but it was clearly the Walthers Baltic:

It has kind of been my personal mission to not let these old classic be forgotten. That's why I post photos with descriptions to flickr.

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - June 12 2014 :  09:51:42 AM

That thing looks so good you can't even tell it's old.But yes, I have to agree with you. We can't let the history of model railroading die. We must preserve our model trains of the past like for example, the Walthers Baltic. But the Baltic is not the only model railroad equipment that needs preserving for the next generation. There's also other engines and rolling stock for all sorts of different scales that need our help keeping them "alive" and in operating condition. I'm essentially a collector, but I run the stuff I collect and have fun with it.

-Steve

Previous Topic: Demographics: How old are you? Topic Next Topic: What is your favorite model train that you own?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000