Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Who builds craftsmen kits?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco color schemes Topic Next Topic: Shiny or dull?  

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - April 20 2014 :  9:32:02 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Poll Question:
The poll is: who, on this forum, builds the craftstman rolling stock wood/metal kits. For example kits from Ulrich, Ye old huff n puff, Ambroid, Furnarlengo, Suydam, and many others. This poll does not include Blue Box Athearn kits or the "some assembly required" off the shelf models. I know a lot of folks here like to kitbash but, how many have recently, last 3 years, or are now building such kits. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you can just check the "No" box.

Choices:

I build craftsmen style kits
Have not built any craftsmen style kits

(Anonymous Vote)

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator 

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - April 20 2014 :  10:09:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
I would love too but I haven't had the money. They always seem to be a tad expensive. Would a plastic kit from Tichy Train count? It's nothing like a Athearn Blue Box, even though it is plastic.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - April 20 2014 :  10:38:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Yes, I think Tichy Train qualifies.

Sometimes these kits can be bought at train shows fairly cheap. The reason I posted this poll is because of a train show purchase. I was looking at a vendor's boxes of stuff. He had a Ye Olde Huff n Puff kit for $8.oo. I glanced at the label and before I could say anything, the somewhat old dude handed me the box and said, "Nobody builds these kits anymore, I'll take $5.00 for it". How could I refuse?

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
Edited by - NC shortlines on April 20 2014 10:42:35 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - April 20 2014 :  10:59:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I have built Tichy Train kits; but I voted that I didn't build "craftsmen" kits.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - April 21 2014 :  12:07:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
I must get out more often. I love building kits and would love to get my hands on some.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 21 2014 :  08:17:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
I would love too but I haven't had the money. They always seem to be a tad expensive.
Originally posted by LGLrr845 - April 20 2014 :  10:09:33 PM

Which has kept me from craftsman kits too. I wouldn't mind giving them a go if I could find some in a decent price.

I think I would enjoy a craftsman building kit - as opposed to their rolling stock counterparts. Highly detailed beyond my wildest dreams but dangerous to pick up for fear of breaking something. A building, on the other hand, would (should) lead a safer life

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 21 2014 :  7:11:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Me! Me! I still build them! Well, a couple... I've almost finished an original Silver Streak Mopac caboose kit, I have FIVE of those damn S.S. cars now. There's this big stack of old Laconia, Red Ball, Silver Streak, Binkley, etc. etc. etc. cars accumulating in the corner, and I'm slowly building my collection of Ulrich cars - I had to build the elusive war-emergency gondola out of a pair of cast sides and a wooden plank for a floor that I found rubber-banded together, does that count as a kit?
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - April 21 2014 :  7:33:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
I had to build the elusive war-emergency gondola out of a pair of cast sides and a wooden plank for a floor that I found rubber-banded together, does that count as a kit?

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - April 21 2014 :  7:11:17 PM

if there are parts and you put them together into something that resembles what you thought you were building, then yes it counts as a kit

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - April 22 2014 :  10:21:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
I have built a Campbell building Kit and a couple of Walther's old time passenger cars. The Passenger cars were cast metal with a wood fabricated frame and a few cast parts. I remember I painted the truck side frames and put them in the oven to dry. They melted at 150 degrees. I Used Express reefer trucks for replacements. My friend called the craftsman kits a box of sticks.

The passenger car experience killed my appetite for craftsman kits. I prefer kit-bashing, just seems more creative.

Regards, John *****

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names. <> John F. Kennedy

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 22 2014 :  4:39:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
I had to build the elusive war-emergency gondola out of a pair of cast sides and a wooden plank for a floor that I found rubber-banded together, does that count as a kit?

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - April 21 2014 :  7:11:17 PM

if there are parts and you put them together into something that resembles what you thought you were building, then yes it counts as a kit

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - April 21 2014 :  7:33:25 PM

There was like half the parts, I fudged the entire rest of the car with scrap-drawer finds.

Also, I store all my unfinished projects in old freight car boxes on shelves in my closet. Each one is labeled so I can find whichever ones I feel like finishing. One special box contains the remains of an Ambroid PRR Stock car that I discovered as a roof, floor, frame and heap of crumbled sticks mangled up at the bottom of a crate of Lionel track. I swept up all the pieces I could find and as it turns out, the entire kit was there, minus one single wood slat. It's about 3/4 reassembled now, along with two scratchbuilt 36' flatcars I found entombed alongside it.

It is simply labeled, "Box of Sticks".

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cadetpwr
Big Six

Posted - April 30 2014 :  08:02:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cadetpwr to Buddylist
I try to pick up a few old craftsman freight car kits each fall for winter projects when its to cold and nasty to go out. Most structure kits are to expensive, although I have built a couple of the Suydam kits for my layout. I want to build a couple of the metal Suydam kits but want to find a source of solder paste first. Trying to solder the more convential way takes to long, I want to (paint) the surfaces with the paste then quickly solder the connection with my mini butane torch. Mike
Still NT's, I have Aspergers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 308  ~  Member Since: November 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco color schemes Topic Next Topic: Shiny or dull?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000