Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 HO Trolley Buses.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Does Durango have a model railroad club? Topic Next Topic: This place is really picking up some steam.  

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 07 2007 :  10:12:55 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I was looking through youtube a little while ago when I came across a video clip of an HO scale trolley bus, that picks up power from two overhead wires, and follows a third wire hidden under the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TthIGEfaAmg

Here is the video with the trolley bus. When I googled and ebayed "trolley bus" I got a lot of stuff by a company called "eheim". So far I've found out that Eheim made these back in the 50's and 60's, and was then made up until 2001 by another manufacturer. Does anyone here have an Eheim model or can anyone give me any info on them?

-cheez

P.S. Does anyone know of a company that is currently manufacturing trolley buses similar to the ones in the links?

Edited by - DaCheez on March 07 2007 10:17:24 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator 

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - March 07 2007 :  11:07:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
Living in Philadelphia and having a father-in-law that worked for the city transportation co, named SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) tells me you should look up Trackless trolley in your search engine. I just did and one of the sites is Philadelphia. There was no 3rd wire, the trackless trolley used 2 poles attached to 2 overhead wires as opposed to a trolley that ran on a track with 1 overhead wire and getting the return connection through the rails in the street. I dont recall the voltage used but it was a high voltage DC current. Trivia point for you, the driver of a trackless or trolley did not need a drivers license here in PA because the vehicle was electric and could only go where the wire went, so if there was an accident and the local police asked for the trolley operators drivers license guess what?

My father-in-law had all Lionel trains going back to the early 40's and I remember in his collection he had a set similar to the one you refered us to on utube. Don't know what happened to it after he died but I do remember it ran and I helped him set it up 1 year and he had it repainted to the Philadelphia colors. Try changing your search to Trackless Trolley and see where that gets you.

Bob

In Malfunction Junction:
When all else fails get a bigger hammer.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: January 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 05 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 08 2007 :  4:11:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Bob. When I said there was third wire to guide it I was referring to the models. I think they have a magnet on the bottom of the car that sticks to the hidden wire.

Was the Lionel trolleybus your father-in-law had HO or O?

I found one site that had lots of info on the Eheim models, but it was mainly about the different models and when they were made. Nothing about how they actually work.

The ones I've seen on Ebay though seem to be going pretty high...$20 for one trolleybus with a broken...uhh...what are the metal rods on the roof called?[B)]

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - March 08 2007 :  4:57:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
Dunno what gauge his set was and I don't really remember how big it was only that he had 1 and I got it working for him and we set it up one year but that was back in the 70's and he never used it again something was messed up with the automatic steering, the wheele were supposed to turn the same way the poles turned when connected to the overhead and for some reason were not staying in line properly. It was in a flat green and white box with flat ribbon metal strips that attached to the poles and in turn provided power to the vehicle. That's basically all I remember about it, not even who made it.

Bob

In Malfunction Junction:
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: January 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 05 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 08 2007 :  5:09:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I found a picture of an Eheim trolleybus with half the shell cut off so you could see inside. I couldn't tell how the steering worked, but on some of the old model trolley buses I've seen, the poles that connect to the overhead are mounted on a piece of plastic that swivels, and it is connected to the steering shaft. So when the overhead wires curve around a corner so does the trolley. I also found a site that was supposed to show how to convert a Faller bus to a trolley bus, but the site was down.

Here's the cutaway of the Eheim trolley bus.

-cheez

Edited by - DaCheez on March 08 2007 5:09:40 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - March 08 2007 :  6:34:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
That's how his worked. The poles helped steer the car. His car was a different color and the motor didn't take up as much space as the picture you show. It was an "old" set and he had it repainted to the local transportation co.'s colors. I can see the magnetic pick up on the bottom of the cut out in your pic that must be how it swerves around the parked vehicles in the movie clip.

Bob

In Malfunction Junction:

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - March 08 2007 :  10:35:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
[quote]..."The ones I've seen on Ebay though seem to be going pretty high...$20 for one trolleybus with a broken...uhh...what are the metal rods on the roof called?" [B)]

-cheez

Hey Cheez,
If the metal power collectors work on the same principle as the ones on trains, trolleys, and trams, then they are called pantographs... they get power from the cantenary, the series of connected wire.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 09 2007 :  7:08:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
So they are called pantagraphs? I assumed that was just the name for the larger ones on GG1's and engines like that.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - June 21 2020 :  10:28:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Update for Jeff and his motorbus. Maybe some helpful ideas.

Same video posted in an earlier post.

Edited by - wks on June 21 2020 10:32:04 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 21 2020 :  10:43:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
So they are called pantagraphs? I assumed that was just the name for the larger ones on GG1's and engines like that.

Originally posted by DaCheez - March 09 2007 :  7:08:26 PM

or trolley poles I've heard them called
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 22 2020 :  06:20:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That is some fancy foot work, as the overhead wires turn the front
wheels, and here the wires are clearly straight. I wonder if this
bus has been modified with an electromagnetic track under the
road bed to control the steering, like the of Faller trackless
vehicle sytems.

Presently I am trying to adjust the poles to the steering wheels, but
the problem appears to lie in the ground wire which is attached
to the pole baseplate. It is stiff and does not permit flexible
steerage from the overhead rails causing the bus to derail on
curves. Working at it.

Thanks for the video!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 22 2020 :  07:37:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
vehicle sytems.

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 22 2020 :  06:20:10 AM

That's an ingenious idea! Magnets to steer. Awesome!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 22 2020 :  09:25:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
vehicle sytems.
Originally posted by Chops124 - June 22 2020 :  06:20:10 AM

I noticed, in the video, there's a little foot that reaches down, very close to the road, and appears to move with the steering gear of the bus like a tiller. If that contained a powerful magnet, and there was a steel wire buried under the road, it would explain what is going on. Of course, that's a guess on my part, and guesses become rumors and neither is true.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 22 2020 :  5:02:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I didn't see the foot, will need to look for that. Saw a Brawa trolley bus on eBay. Relisted at
only $175. Yikes, I'm already in deep enough. Considering taking the rabbit ears off the
defunct bus and putting them on the new bus if I can't get the new bus attenae to function
smoothly. Problem might be in an old, stiff ground wire.

I got my bus set up to veer around some obstacles, and at first it worked great, but the
new bus just plows right into them.

Edited by - Chops124 on June 22 2020 11:09:21 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 23 2020 :  07:43:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Problem might be in an old, stiff ground wire.
Originally posted by Chops124 - June 22 2020 :  5:02:37 PM

Years ago, I got some very flexible wire from Northwest Short Line. I don't know if they still have it, but the stuff was great. It was small stranded wire, and the insulation was more like rubber than the usual vinyl plastic. I wouldn't use it for everything, but where flexibility is a must, it's great stuff.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 23 2020 :  08:59:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
It looks like the plate that the bus' trolley poles sit on is supposed to swivel freely, to the turn the bus itself. Maybe that isn't turning well.

I hope you intend to give the homeowners some compensation for that!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on June 23 2020 09:00:21 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Does Durango have a model railroad club? Topic Next Topic: This place is really picking up some steam.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000