Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 times are a changing update 10/04/2014
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: $26 got me this in Virginia. Topic Next Topic: $26 get you this in Virginia.  

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 05 2014 :  09:36:18 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
this track has beaten the weather for over a 150 years,gone this year,so tell me the weather is not changing ken
as was

as is

Edited by - catfordken on April 11 2014 12:58:13 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 05 2014 :  10:55:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I seen videos of that line too
Any plans on rebuilding it?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - February 05 2014 :  11:08:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
It's called erosion, it's very patient and works very very slowly. Just because something has lasted hundreds of years doesn't mean it'll last forever.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 05 2014 :  11:31:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I totally agree with LGL, I can't add anything, but it's a sad scene...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - February 05 2014 :  12:00:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Stuff happens...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 05 2014 :  12:25:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i know stuff happens but residents have been campaigning for years,only to be told it will never happen,well its happened,this line is sentimental to me as its part of the original gwr line built by isambard brunel,second only to stevensons stockton to darlington,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 05 2014 :  12:38:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I agree Ken, that's a horrible loss in my mind... Had to be a beautiful stretch of scenery...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - February 05 2014 :  12:48:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
It's kind of a touchy subject, the weather. I design ponds and ditches for a living. Basically environmental hydraulics engineering.

My uncle is VP of a firm that designs wave breakers along shore lines. This is what happens when the wave breakers are not existent or fail. Something like this could have been prevented, but sometimes the funds are not there, or even the awareness that there is a problem. Then suddenly, the big random storm comes up, washes away the sand bars that have been protecting the shore line and now even the smallest storm creates tremendous damage along the shore. Remember, this track was built on sand. Take away the sand bar/beach protecting it and it will quickly fall into the sea.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wave+breakers+shoreline&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS488US488&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=BnjyUv2RKfPLsQT7zoKQCA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=815#q=wave+breakers&tbm=isch

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 05 2014 :  1:02:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
sean,you hit the nail right on the head,weather is not the easiest thing to control,still sad for me,must be devastating for residents,who rely on the trains in summer to make their living,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 05 2014 :  1:47:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I found a news article & the railway will restore the tracks
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 05 2014 :  2:19:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
yeah if and when they raise the millions needed,we will have to see

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 05 2014 :  5:11:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
I found a news article & the railway will restore the tracks

Originally posted by microbusss - February 05 2014 :  1:47:02 PM

You can't beLIEve the news half the time as they talk about things they know nothing about, dramatize everything, exaggerate and really just flat out lie.... I can't watch the news anymore even the weather is usually only half right...

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - April 11 2014 :  12:59:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
done,at last,ken

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 11 2014 :  2:30:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
SEE, Walt?? I WAS right & a A4(?) steamer to boot
HOORAY!!!
Congrats to Britsh Rail for restoring the tracks!!

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 11 2014 :  10:05:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Wow... they worked fast, and did a great job.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - April 12 2014 :  08:08:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
2 videos showing whats been done and whats still to do,ken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdj-ceePkus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9TRWsPA01g
cab view of first train from plymouth to go through dawlish since feb 5th 2014,at 5.53am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYALomz32Gk

Edited by - catfordken on April 12 2014 08:29:37 AM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 13 2014 :  12:34:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Devon is a beautiful area, Ken. That looks like a great rail trip.

I also notice it's just north of where Basil Fawlty lives.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - April 13 2014 :  01:24:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Hello guys, I heard about this and it is not due to "Erosion" its because of "Global warming". I was looking at a show and they were showing the effects of global warming, the example they used was Venice Italy. We all know Venice is built over water, but now more that a few times a year there is no place to walk because the water is to high. Scientist attributed that to the fact the ice caps are melting and creating global floods. The show I was watching was called Vise, on HBO or Showtime I’m not sure.

Scientific research indicates sea levels worldwide have been rising at a rate of 0.14 inches (3.5 millimeters) per year since the early 1990s. The trend, linked to global warming, puts thousands of coastal cities, like Venice, Italy, (seen here during a historic flood in 2008), and even whole islands at risk of being claimed by the ocean
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 13 2014 :  07:34:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Scientific research indicates sea levels worldwide have been rising at a rate of 0.14 inches (3.5 millimeters) per year since the early 1990s. The trend, linked to global warming, puts thousands of coastal cities, like Venice, Italy, (seen here during a historic flood in 2008), and even whole islands at risk of being claimed by the ocean
Originally posted by GG-1 Guy - April 13 2014 :  01:24:48 AM

From the early 1990's until now is about 20 years. 0.14 x 20 = 2.8
There was way more than 2.8 inches of extra water in the picture if Venice and the coastal railway line destroyed earlier in this thread was not removed by 2.8 inches of water. On the other hand, a big storm can be quite a fury.

As a kid studying geography in school, I was told that Venice was sinking. That is, the land on which it sits is losing elevation and has been for centuries. Just as geological forces heave up mountains in places, land sinks in other places.

There are still differing opinions about the causes of global warming and its impact, and none of them are proven scientific fact. A little skepticism is healthy when watching sensationally reported TV documentaries.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2356  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - April 14 2014 :  07:57:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Global warming is nonsense. 3rd or 4th coldest March on record here this year. Next you'll be telling us carbon is pollution.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 14 2014 :  11:21:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Global warming is nonsense. 3rd or 4th coldest March on record here this year. Next you'll be telling us carbon is pollution.

Originally posted by lvrr325 - April 14 2014 :  07:57:50 AM

Ya. Did you know carbon is absorbed by trees and plants and they turn it into oxygen? Ya, exactly! It's also the cycle of the Earth, too. The climate is changing to become what the planet was during the dinosaur era. That's why it's getting warmer if that's even true.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 14 2014 :  12:53:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Trees and plants convert carbon dioxide into oxygen.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 14 2014 :  4:17:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
We live in a world that calls the messengers the media (a plural word most often treated as a singular one). Said world wants to say mediums to refer to media and media to refer to medium. The pronoun most popular for use on a singular subject seems to be "they", or its variation "them".

I have already heard CO2 referred to as carbon (as in carbon footprint). We are, no doubt, only minutes away from forever losing the proper usage for both terms.

Just as an aside, I leave carbon footprints all over the place for a while after I work in the locomotive smoke box.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2356  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - April 14 2014 :  4:36:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Global climate change is supported by many computer models programed by scientists who need the climate change grants to continue programming. These models support the premiss of climate change, but the empirical facts do not. I fear that this is more about money, control, and politics than about science.

Regards John ***************************

I got a feeling about political correctness. I hate it. It causes us to lie silently instead of saying what we think. <> Hal Holbrook
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - April 14 2014 :  10:28:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
It's been proven that the world is undergoing major climate change, however the extent to which it is caused by humans is still up for debate and further research. The major issue is that it is not sensible, global warming or not, to keep polluting our planet's limited supply of oxygen and fresh water.

Chessierr

Edited by - ChessieRR on April 14 2014 10:29:38 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 15 2014 :  12:32:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
Global climate change is supported by many computer models programed by scientists who need the climate change grants to continue programming. These models support the premiss of climate change, but the empirical facts do not. I fear that this is more about money, control, and politics than about science.

Originally posted by JRG1951 - April 14 2014 :  4:36:37 PM

^ This. Science is a sober, slow and deliberate process, and does not jump to dire predictions via computer models that have millions of unpredictable variables. It isn't given to Chicken Little hysteria or apocalyptic predictions (short of the discovery of an extinction level asteroid on a direct collision course with Earth). Unfortunately, climate science -- which used to be a very small arm of the scientific body -- has been hijacked by drama queens who were raised on Irwin Allen movies, apparently. It has proven very lucrative for those with vested interests: opportunistic politicians who see it as a route to greater regulation and control, researchers looking for grant money or even entire careers, sensationalistic media, etc. The only greenhouse gas of any consequence is water vapor, but that would prove hard to regulate. Carbon dioxide is a trace gas, about .04% of the atmosphere. Man contributes a trace amount to that total, with the vast majority emitted by the worlds oceans.

The East Anglia controversy is a prime example of the sort of tactics many on the other side employ: if the reality is so dire, why falsify the data to make it look worse? Smells like snake oil to me.

The climate may be changing, but the climate has always changed, and always will. This used to be a ball of molten rock being bombarded by asteroids. I doubt anything we can do is going to bother it much.

But all of this had made Al Gore filthy rich, which is why he can produce the carbon footprint of a small city with his luxurious estate and private jet. Cow flatulence, indeed.

The Tyco Depot
  Previous Topic: $26 got me this in Virginia. Topic Next Topic: $26 get you this in Virginia.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000