Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 35 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 Interesting Car?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Signal & Interlocking Tower? Topic Next Topic: wooden tugboat  HO scale?  

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 24 2013 :  6:39:21 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Well guys, I see this car, at the Greensburg train show, today and got to say, I liked it the second I seen it. Not sure tho, who made it...... Looks like an intense kit built model, BUT its highly molded details, don't lead me to MDC Roundhouse, Or even Athearn, and I don't think Penn Line done anything like this BUT, that leads me towards Varney. anyone know? Have a look!

With one door in the "down" position, from it being a Drop Bottom Gondola.....

Complete car, but I have no idea who made it.....that be a good one to know in order, to find more of them in time.....Anyone know? And about what time frame it was made? (I seriously doubt its been made in the past 15 or maybe even 20 years!)

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator 

scrimjimmy
Switcher

Posted - November 24 2013 :  9:04:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scrimjimmy to Buddylist
This car is by Ulrich.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: March 12 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - November 24 2013 :  9:34:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Yep...Ulrich, from the 60s, 70s...nice find.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 24 2013 :  11:48:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Ulrich.....question is, are they rare and what were they normally used for? Gravel or something dumped along side or through "coal trestle" type areas? I thought first, a Beet car............but?

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - November 24 2013 :  11:57:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
It's a side-dump gondola. Probably would be used to spread ballast before they started making them out of hoppers, or in place of them. Complete with no metal rot issues and working they aren't too common; if you got it for $10 or less you did good.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 25 2013 :  01:00:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
lvrr, well its not a side dump...........its a drop bottom gondola.....Spread ballast, sure they could, but it seems as tho these would have taken a real poundin' just to spread ballast......These look to have more soft type loads like Beets or something.....Its an interesting car. Why? I am an "open load" guy.... and this one, I'm not sure I can "open load it" and show the detail of the working drop bottom hatches!!!!!
~John

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 25 2013 :  09:25:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** John here is a pair of photos of 2 more with their boxes.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 25 2013 :  2:25:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Frank, NICE! I like the looks of the high ended one. that's different!

I'm just trying to figure out a eastern road that had them now, and use they would have used them for.....

(I want some more of these!!!!) BUT, you ALL knew that... coming from me anyway....

~John

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 25 2013 :  3:24:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
John! Great score!! Those cars typically sel for $10-$12 each if correctly listed.

Here are a few of mine:

This first pic are some I purchased last week. (almost this week's COTW choice):

This is an old pic of a few I have stashed away... waiting to be put into service. A few more have since been added:

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - November 25 2013 :  3:28:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
If them hatches open on the outer side, I have to tell you, the stuff in it is going to come out at a 90' angle to the rails...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - November 28 2013 :  04:39:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
I've got a GN # 75910, different lettering and herald set up... KD's and arch-bar sprung trucks... found it for $5.
Always wondered what it exactly was.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 06 2013 :  7:29:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
I've got the same GN car, found it in a mountain of junk for $2. Also a custom-painted Michigan central one, which is an absolute beauty, but which I must confess I greatly overpaid for it (around $30 I believe) One thing I noticed, everyone's cars have a variety of bettendorfs on them, yet both of mine came with the original trucks, some really fine-looking sprung Vulcan trucks with what look like brass wheelsets. Is it unusual for them to have these trucks (which since I found them on both and never anywhere else, I assume are the originals)?
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 10 2013 :  2:54:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Here is a page describing the uses for drop-bottom gondolas on the Rio Grande RR.
http://www.drhs315.org/blog/projects/drop-bottom-gondola/history/

As I understand it, drop bottom gondolas were more popular on western railroads and hoppers were more popular in the east, though I am sure that is just a general pattern and not an immutable law. Here is another general guide on the subject:
http://mrr.trains.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/7/5/f/transition-era_gondolas.ashx

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 10 2013 :  5:24:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
darn I even saw one of them at the CRRM too one year
Or they could be different ones not sure

Edited by - microbusss on December 10 2013 5:35:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - December 16 2013 :  01:24:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
John! Great score!! Those cars typically sel for $10-$12 each if correctly listed.

Here are a few of mine:

This first pic are some I purchased last week. (almost this week's COTW choice):

This is an old pic of a few I have stashed away... waiting to be put into service. A few more have since been added:

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - November 25 2013 :  3:24:54 PM

Sean,
Got any to part with? In trade? I'm sure I can come up with something for a single car!!!!!

BUT you got a collection, DANG!

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - December 16 2013 :  01:25:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
I've got the same GN car, found it in a mountain of junk for $2. Also a custom-painted Michigan central one, which is an absolute beauty, but which I must confess I greatly overpaid for it (around $30 I believe) One thing I noticed, everyone's cars have a variety of bettendorfs on them, yet both of mine came with the original trucks, some really fine-looking sprung Vulcan trucks with what look like brass wheelsets. Is it unusual for them to have these trucks (which since I found them on both and never anywhere else, I assume are the originals)?

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - December 06 2013 :  7:29:15 PM

Got pictures of the Vulcan trucks under the car? I'd like to see that as I may have that type truck as I seem to have a BUNCH of Vulcan trucks......Metal ones, sprung too!

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - December 16 2013 :  01:35:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
Here is a page describing the uses for drop-bottom gondolas on the Rio Grande RR.
http://www.drhs315.org/blog/projects/drop-bottom-gondola/history/

As I understand it, drop bottom gondolas were more popular on western railroads and hoppers were more popular in the east, though I am sure that is just a general pattern and not an immutable law. Here is another general guide on the subject:
http://mrr.trains.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/7/5/f/transition-era_gondolas.ashx

Originally posted by scsshaggy - December 10 2013 :  2:54:22 PM

Don,
Thanks for that. VERY informative on those cars.. I'll have to figure out a way to justify one or 2 of them on my eastern railroad......Hmmmmm

~John

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 16 2013 :  10:15:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I'll have to figure out a way to justify one or 2 of them on my eastern railroad......Hmmmmm

Originally posted by EM-1 - December 16 2013 :  01:35:25 AM

You could leave them lettered for a western road and either receive a shipment from the West or send a shipment to the West.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - December 17 2013 :  12:13:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Reason for spotting a car which is far from home...

I live in Kamloops, BC Canada...

I frequently see boxcars and center beam bulkhead flats labeled AOK.

I used to wonder why they are all the way up here!

Then, I see a string of gondolas CSXT, CONRAIL... and then...

This is quite the western North America and north across the border about six hours... but this pic' was also taken Summer of 2013, too!

Someone may chime in as to what AOK is. We're all a okay, otherwise.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - December 17 2013 :  06:08:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
AOK is a shortline Arkansas-Oklahoma RR that operates a couple of disconnected branch lines. With freight car deregulation they own freight cars in general pool service, so they can go to/from anywhere.

The return of the NYC mark was a creation of the CSX-NS split of Conrail and applied to Conrail freight cars aquired by CSX. Locomotives that went to NS recieved a PRR mark.

Even prior to deregulation, a car could go anywhere it was needed, if you in Maine purchased a product from a shipper in California, it would come to you in a car from whatever road the shipper was located on.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 17 2013 :  08:27:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
AOK I sees a TON out here Some of AOK cars are ex-BNSFs or UPs!!
NYC & PRR are companies formed out of the MEGA merger of NS & CSX taking over Conrail
They has NOTHING to do with the original PRR or NYC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 17 2013 :  9:07:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Those AOK cars (and I've heard there's about 20,000 of them) have absolutely nothing to do with AOK the railroad... they're all owned, subleased, and managed by Greenbrier leasing... they just rent the reporting mark from AOK because it's cheaper.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 17 2013 :  9:10:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Oh, and I saw a REAL NYC gondola (okay, you could only see the PC lettering, the cigar band was no longer visible) with the early-70's-era-typeface Conrail patchjob up in Newburgh, NY a few months ago. Next to it was an unpatched SCL gondola with the big yellow "SCL" on the side. And these were in revenue service still! </braggingfoamer>
--CRC

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - December 17 2013 :  10:20:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
On the contrary, the NS-CSX split more or less undid the PC merger and the names were chosen based on the original ownership of most of the lines each road took over.

PC cars could be either NYC or PRR, but given it's been over 40 years since the merger it's not that likely you saw a revenue service car. 40 years is generally the limit for them.

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 18 2013 :  3:52:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Well, all I know is they were on an active industrial siding and not a one of the four cars there said anything about maintenance on it. One was CSX, one was conrail oxide, and then those two oldies.
--CRC

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 15 2021 :  11:21:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

They are sturdy and heavy. Well made.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5776  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Signal & Interlocking Tower? Topic Next Topic: wooden tugboat  HO scale?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000