Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 32 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 My Model Railroading Magazine Database....
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Our Thoughts and Prayers Topic Next Topic: Would YOU ride this  

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 19 2013 :  02:22:16 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Guys,
I thought, while I was at it....I'd give you all some idea on what I was talking about a while back.

See, I have been collecting OLD magazines, Model Railroader, Model Railroad Craftsman for a very LONG time, since the early 1990's. HOWEVER, NOT subscribed, mind you, the OLD ones, from 1934 to in and around say 1990's....By todays standards, those from the '90's are old! ANYWAY....

Today, I found an e-mail that came to me through my train clubs yahoo group, again, I'm also this same clubs "Vice President" so.... I got to see where someone was trying to give away 30 to 60 magazines, had to take all or nothing. SO. YEP I took 'em all!

I'll say here and now, this woman's count, was WAY off the mark! I bet, I got 200 or so in the lot of them! I may even end up with the layout her late husband had as well, that's to be talked about in time as he had passed away a whole ago and I wasn't about to talk of it...

BUT, here is what I have had of my own:

Granted, some are missing rom the "Library" but.....They're going in it tonight as I got the rest I just got home, all over the place, my living room looks like a table from a kids Library with all the kids turning in there books for the last time, before school ends in the summer

So, in order to "organize these, I got them on the steps up to the shop as this case of magazines, is at the bottom of the shop steps in the shops "hallway" if you will so here is the steps:

These at the time of typing this are in their proper place.

Then.......my living room:

Showing some from the mid-60's, and some from the early-70's....AND my feet!

Then you have the overall shot of my living room:

The coffee table:

And the next "pile" is what is headed for trade:

These are what I have found doubles of.... NOT from what I brought home tonight, but what was floating around in my Library....I have 2 or 3 drawers FULL of other railroad type magazines that I do not plan to keep....BUT those actually to this date and time are called out by one of our own here on the forums. I have yet to get to them.....BUT they're his at this point!

Then you have the "catalogs":

These were in that lot I just brought home, ALL of which I didn't have, including a GREAT Bowser one.... AND a 1973 Walthers catalog of HO scale!

I think I'm pushing 2000 or so magazines at this point.....Not a bad size collection!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 19 2013 :  2:15:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
coool MR has made CDs of all their magazines
I wanna see the insides of that Walther's catalog!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 19 2013 :  5:54:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Yes Ben MR did make a CD but why buy it when its much more fun finding the actual old paper copies?

As for the Walthers catalog, the 1973? I'll try to get pictures of it....I wish I had a working scanner to scan each page (Its not nearly as thick as the new ones!)

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 19 2013 :  8:24:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
What scale is that yellow school bus with the cool sunroof?
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - October 19 2013 :  11:25:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Always nice to have the original. I like paper magazines because you can take them anywhere, the pages are always loaded, and they're fun to flip through.

A Master Index of those magazines would be helpful but, that would take a very long to write.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 19 2013 :  11:30:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
What scale is that yellow school bus with the cool sunroof?

Originally posted by gmoney - October 19 2013 :  8:24:14 PM

Glenn,
Your a funny guy! That bus, is a toy, that was my step sons and was my daughters, she hauls her dolls around in it to school AND me and my wife, pester the dog with it.....

~John

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 19 2013 :  11:35:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Paul,
Your ABSOLUTELY correct in that, one you missed to say,. your computer doesn't have to wait to turn one (IF that's a desktop) or wait till your battery charges, on a laptop if its completely dead to look at a issue.....OR if your battery doesn't hold a charge, an outlet to keep the system running just to finish one article!

THEN, you got the real fun of it all (reason we're ALL sort of, collectors) the thrill of finding those old issues long out of print that's 50+ years old.....Yes, I got a supply of them, as you can all see, that top shelf in my "Library, is 1930's to 1959....Currently! I AM missing a few issues tho, maybe someday, I'll find them!

~John

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - October 20 2013 :  11:37:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
John your wife must have the patience of a saint, bless her. The MR cd is ok for finding some particular articles but thier search engine will miss a lot too. Also if you want to print I found that the copy doesn't come out quite to scale(let alone scale prints to a different scale size) that is why I find the article I am looking for and then go to my books for a working copy. As for railroad model craftsman there is nothing. If they could just compile together all their annual indexes it would be a great help.

leo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 21 2013 :  12:03:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Leo,
My wife, is a saint with me as a husband? Shes GOT to be!

BUT she helps me too, I won'
t have nearly the organization, I got in the Magazine library if it wasn't for her 2 extra hands helping......AND allowing me to make a mess, to clean up another......Sadly, you guys, seen the mess when it was pretty much cleaned up till she goes and says hey you ought to snap a picture or so to post on the forums. so, yeah, I'm the blessed one.... all the names I'm called

As far as the magazines, yes, I LOVE that all I have to do is pick one up, and flip through it.....NOT that stupid read and search through a list to then see if I find it when I know its there, I know its there and I HAVE it all listed out......I'm going to build a database as well to RMC as well as MR!!!!!! I got from 1957 to the 1980's someplace in RMC too!

~John

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - November 24 2013 :  4:01:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Old topic, but still something neat... I once found a whole stack of brand-new Model Railroaders from 1938-1940 squirrelled away in a heap of paperwork in a shed... needless to say I got them all. It feels so weird to read all the ads for companies I've never heard of, prices orders of magnitude lower, and 2-rail and HO-scale both being minority factions. There's a set of cardboard car sides still stuck in one of them like one of those business reply cards you see nowadays!
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - November 24 2013 :  6:15:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Old topic, but still something neat... I once found a whole stack of brand-new Model Railroaders from 1938-1940 squirrelled away in a heap of paperwork in a shed... needless to say I got them all. It feels so weird to read all the ads for companies I've never heard of, prices orders of magnitude lower, and 2-rail and HO-scale both being minority factions. There's a set of cardboard car sides still stuck in one of them like one of those business reply cards you see nowadays!

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - November 24 2013 :  4:01:54 PM

Would love to see those cardboard sides - can you post a pic?

Closest I have come to a magazine treasure trove was at Half-Price Books in Texas - picked up several years worth of Trains Magazine for next to nothing - they just wanted to get rid of them. Not model railroading but plenty of stuff TO model

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 24 2013 :  6:43:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Might be an old topic but, It seems I'm ALWAYS picking up old MR or MRC mags listed locally that are pick up for free, to get rid of 'em......So....I do if their are enough to make it worth the trip.....

So far........... has done well towards me in making a real old "Database" without the use of a computer, or disk for one!

~John

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - May 02 2023 :  3:03:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"I thought, while I was at it....I'd give you all some idea on what I was talking about a while back.

See I have been collecting OLD magazines, Model Railroader, Model Railroad Craftsman for a very LONG time, since the early 1990's. HOWEVER, NOT subscribed, mind you, the OLD ones, from 1934 to in and around say 1990's....By todays standards, those from the '90's are old! ANYWAY.

Today, I found an e-mail that came to me through my train clubs yahoo group, again, I'm also this same clubs "Vice President" so I got to see where someone was trying to give away 30 to 60 magazines, had to take all or nothing. SO. YEP I took 'em all.

I'll say here and now, this woman's count, was WAY off the mark! I bet, I got 200 or so in the lot of them! I may even end up with the layout her late husband had as well, that's to be talked about in time as he had passed away a whole ago and I wasn't about to talk of it...

BUT, here is what I have had of my own.

Granted some are missing rom the "Library" but.....They're going in it tonight as I got the rest I just got home, all over the place, my living room looks like a table from a kids Library with all the kids turning in there books for the last time, before school ends in the summer

So, in order to "organize these, I got them on the steps up to the shop as this case of magazines, is at the bottom of the shop steps in the shops "hallway" if you will so here is the steps:

These at the time of typing this are in their proper place.

Then.......my living room:

Showing some from the mid-60's, and some from the early-70's....AND my feet!

Then you have the overall shot of my living room:

The coffee table:

And the next "pile" is what is headed for trade:

These are what I have found doubles of.... NOT from what I brought home tonight, but what was floating around in my Library....I have 2 or 3 drawers FULL of other railroad type magazines that I do not plan to keep....BUT those actually to this date and time are called out by one of our own here on the forums. I have yet to get to them.....BUT they're his at this point!

Then you have the "catalogs":

These were in that lot I just brought home, ALL of which I didn't have, including a GREAT Bowser one.... AND a 1973 Walthers catalog of HO scale!

I think I'm pushing 2000 or so magazines at this point.....Not a bad size collection."

Originally posted by EM1 by October 19 2013

Some collection.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5883  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Our Thoughts and Prayers Topic Next Topic: Would YOU ride this  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000