Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 What Are You?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Merry Christmas Topic Next Topic: Tyco Collecting  

richard p
Little Six

Posted - February 12 2013 :  2:05:53 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
Poll Question:
Just wondering what this group of fine individuals consists of. Collector only (obvious). Colector / MR - collect and have a working layout. Collector / Archchair MR - collector with no real layout but you keep up with the hobby. Collector / big kid - collect for the joy of it and just love everything Tyco/Mantua, even the "crazy" stuff.

Choices:

Collector Only
Collector / Model Railroader
Collector / Armchair Model Railroader
Colector / Big Kid
2 or 3 and 4.

(Anonymous Vote)

rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator 

richard p
Little Six

Posted - February 12 2013 :  2:08:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
I voted collector / armchair. I am an armchair n scale model railroader with allot of n scale stuff but no time or space for a layout. Recently started collecting TYCO. At first I wanted to recreate my first train set, a 1962 Shifter Freight, but now have become facinated with 50's Tyco.
rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 12 2013 :  2:53:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I own alot of HO and smaller collections of Marx o scale, American Flyer and N scale. Have limited space and time. Everything in my fleet has to operate flawless and be complete.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Islanderh93
Little Six

Catskill Mountain Railroad

Posted - February 12 2013 :  8:08:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Islanderh93 to Buddylist
I've got enough trains and materials to make a fairly large layout, but I haven't. Now at school, I'm trying to figure out if housing will let me make a trundle board.

So I'm an armchair modeler, a train hoarder, and hopefully soon to be repairman.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 13 2013 :  01:27:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Collector atm since my house is super too small for a layout
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 13 2013 :  09:46:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
collector big kid was my choice ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - February 13 2013 :  12:38:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
I'm a "Collector and a Big Kid". I like collecting both model and toy trains (you can find all sorts of cool stuff at the Goodwill Outlet), but I also enjoy operating them. I do make some modifications to the toy quality equipment to make it a little bit more realistic, but in no way am I a rivet counter.

The big kid part comes from the fact that I don't just collect trains and let them sit. I collect them and then build sceniced layouts for them to operate on. I mean, why buy a train and then shelve it? Just buy the train, run it and wear it out, and THEN shelve it.

I'm also a railway preservationist, as I volunteer at a train museum whiere I volunteer as a Car Attendant on the museum's operating excursion railroad (which I guess also makes me a certain type of railroader, a "weekend railroader" ).

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - February 14 2013 :  1:16:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
I voted Collector/model railroader but I really am a Armchair Collector/Model railroader. I don't actively collect items but when I see something interesting that isn't too pricy at the hobby shop I will buy it. I have started a tyco piggyback collection that way.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 14 2013 :  7:21:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I collect as much to enjoy them as to operate them. I don't have my OWN layout, but use the club's for my operating outlet. So I guess Armchair fit me best, I do keep up with the hobby ( just bought a Digitraxx Super Empire Builder starter set to run DCC at home finally ), most of my stuff sits, but I do have some projects I run at the club layout and shows, and more planned, so they're not all shelf queens and dust collectors. I will never DCC more than a tiny percentage of them anyway, but intend to have a layout at some point to run them as DC and DCC both.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - February 19 2013 :  10:57:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
I have so many both new and used steam and diesel engines that I guess I qualify as a collector, as my layout is still under construction and I display them on tiered stands I built myself. I go to quarterly swap meets looking for old BBs and such, and- again- with over 100 items of rolling stick- some Varney era and some later, I guess there also I collect.

I understand that the value of these may be far less than desired, but for me, they have the instrinsic value that- in some cases- I have improved them (the used stuff) and in other cases, I just like having them in my possession (the new stuff). That I do benchwork and am prepping my layout at the same time, as well as getting the track ready for use qualifies me as a modeler- but you guys already figured that out several posts ago !

Siouxlake/ Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

vancer
Switcher

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - September 06 2013 :  4:11:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add vancer to Buddylist
Have built several railroads over the years but have basicly become more of a collecter. Do have an outdoor G gauge railroad though.
Have rekindled my interest in the 1960's era Aristocraft HO locomotives. Had one as a boy and always thought them interesting.

Edited by - vancer on September 06 2013 4:16:14 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 37  ~  Member Since: September 06 2013  ~  Last Visit: November 23 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - September 06 2013 :  7:41:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist
Hi Vancer; welcome to the forum.
Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GPA_Andy
Switcher

Posted - September 06 2013 :  9:18:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GPA_Andy to Buddylist
NMRA member active with the Pikes Peak Division RMR Module group Have 3 2' x 4' modules built with #4 in planning stage.
Andy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 35  ~  Member Since: June 30 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RBNicholson
Switcher

Posted - September 20 2013 :  08:25:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RBNicholson to Buddylist

The big kid part comes from the fact that I don't just collect trains and let them sit. I collect them and then build sceniced layouts for them to operate on. I mean, why buy a train and then shelve it? Just buy the train, run it and wear it out, and THEN shelve it.

I'm also a railway preservationist, as I volunteer at a train museum whiere I volunteer as a Car Attendant on the museum's operating excursion railroad (which I guess also makes me a certain type of railroader, a "weekend railroader" ).

Originally posted by weekendrailroader - February 13 2013 :  12:38:58 PM

[/quote]

I agree! Those "shelf queens" may as well be stuffed moose heads, otherwise. I am a retired locomotive engineer who thought I would dread the day when I would have to retire. I haven't looked back since I left!

RBNicholson

RBNicholson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: September 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 20 2013 :  11:21:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
I picked 3 & 4 since time and space do not allow for me to have a layout yet, yet I literally have 1/3 of an 18'x18' storage unit filled 10' high with trains, buildings and other various layout items!

Ben! This is the first I have noticed youe status as resident spammer! LOL!!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - September 20 2013 :  3:44:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Sean, isn't that funny with Ben, being a "Resident Spammer"? I cracked up when I first seen it!
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dan Vincent
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - October 12 2013 :  09:33:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dan Vincent to Buddylist
I went with Collector/Model Railroader because I've been into trains since around 1955 and have made a few layouts in HO and N but currenlty my open frame N layout is in my son's horse barn until I can carve out some space or create a new one.

My N interest is in ERIE, E/L and G/N.

I also have a bunch of HO stuff, mainly Santa Fe.

My current status is armchair but I do have a N test loop that I set up about once a month.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 20  ~  Member Since: October 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 28 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RBNicholson
Switcher

Posted - October 17 2013 :  09:14:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RBNicholson to Buddylist
quote:
Just wondering what this group of fine individuals consists of. Collector only (obvious). Colector / MR - collect and have a working layout. Collector / Archchair MR - collector with no real layout but you keep up with the hobby. Collector / big kid - collect for the joy of it and just love everything Tyco/Mantua, even the "crazy" stuff.

Originally posted by richard p - February 12 2013 :  2:05:53 PM

I've been modeling in S scale for about forty years, finally having the opportunity to build The Dream Layout within the past ten years. However, this past summer I have began to collect specific HO models on Ebay, focusing on Mantua/Tyco. Currently, I'm trying to make a reliable runner out of a Bachmann old time Jupitor 4-4-0 with mixed results

RBNicholson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: September 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - October 29 2013 :  5:53:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Armchair (rather, computer chair) collector (and do I ever!), but I'm also still an actual kid, and high school and homework sadly don't leave enough time to actually build a layout even though I do have the space AND money (which is a first, so I'm told.) All HO now, though I still have the n-scale that I started with when I was 2 and since built a very modest little collection around.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Merry Christmas Topic Next Topic: Tyco Collecting  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000