Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Penn Central Boxcars from Tyco 50' Plugers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RP model railroads Sharknose airhorn project Topic Next Topic: Plainview and Lubbock Equipment.  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 17 2012 :  5:31:01 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Another project I took on while I was making my PC units was to make some matching freight cars. I choose to repaint 3 Tyco Plug door boxcars into appropriate PC cars based on prototype pictures I found on-line. Each of the cars was re-equipped with Kadee couplers, Kadee Ajax brake wheels, and Tichy Train Group trucks. Decals came from Microscale and paint came from Aculflex. I will eventually weather the cars but for now I will keep them looking freshly shopped...

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on November 17 2012 5:35:38 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator 

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - November 17 2012 :  5:41:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
so is the PC or it's predecessors the oned Tyco based their boxcar off of?
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 17 2012 :  6:13:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
very nice <3 I want one but show coming up next Sat so I'll look there
Sides I likes keeping my cars looking new
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - November 17 2012 :  6:21:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Nice work on the three recent posts.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 17 2012 :  7:07:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
rgcw5....

I consider Tyco's 50' foot Plugdoor a "generic model" since several railroads owned cars that have the general appearance of Tyco's 50 foot plug door box car. Since plug doors and metal roofwalks of the sort that are represented on the Tyco car were not developed until after 1945 and roof walks themselves were removed from all box cars by the late 1980's, the Tyco car's general appearance makes it an appropriate starting point for modeling equipment that was used from 1950 to about 1980. Interestingly, the Dreadnaught style ends found on the Tyco Pluger suggests a car that was built between 1930 and 1945 so a prototype plug door boxcar with the same details would have been rebuilt with plug doors sometime after leaving the erecting floor. An ambitious modeler could get even more modeling "mileage" out of the Tyco Plugers by replacing the molded on plug door detail with an aftermarket sliding door. The great thing about these cars is that they are cheep and plentiful so you can experiment with these shells without worrying about ruining an expensive model.

Edited by - Srenchin on November 17 2012 7:09:09 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - November 17 2012 :  9:12:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Excellent work and finishing on all of these boxcars!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 17 2012 :  11:29:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Scott,
Yet again, GREAT decal and paint work! What decals did you use? and what type of paint?

LOOKS AWESOME tho!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 18 2012 :  02:18:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Scott,
Yet again, GREAT decal and paint work! What decals did you use? and what type of paint?

LOOKS AWESOME tho!

Originally posted by EM-1 - November 17 2012 :  11:29:53 PM

Thank you for the compliment, the decals are from Microscale and the paint is Accuflex. Thank goodness that there are still some decal manufacturers out there otherwise projects like this one would be impossible...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 26 2020 :  1:59:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
Another project I took on while I was making my PC units was to make some matching freight cars. I choose to repaint 3 Tyco Plug door boxcars into appropriate PC cars based on prototype pictures I found on-line. Each of the cars was re-equipped with Kadee couplers, Kadee Ajax brake wheels, and Tichy Train Group trucks. Decals came from Microscale and paint came from Aculflex. I will eventually weather the cars but for now I will keep them looking freshly shopped...

Originally posted by Srenchin - November 17 2012 :  5:31:01 PM

Those Penn Central cars look great Scott.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5870  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dr. John
Switcher

GMOAvatar

Posted - November 26 2020 :  5:46:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dr. John to Buddylist
Those look great!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 37  ~  Member Since: January 02 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 28 2020 :  08:43:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Amazing work. Looks better than any top shelf model I can
think of, Accurail, etc.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - November 28 2020 :  09:16:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Very nice job with those
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: RP model railroads Sharknose airhorn project Topic Next Topic: Plainview and Lubbock Equipment.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000