Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 hay field
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Life-like Buildings / Home Scenics Topic Next Topic: odd crossing idea  

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - October 21 2012 :  10:57:43 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
I've been struggling to make a realistic hay field.

i found a decorative grass that produced seed heads when ground up looked O K but not great. It is too coarse but is the right color. Yellow saw dust too coarse

I wanted a round hay baler and found one for $15 too expensive and out of stock

Started out with round hay bales as easily made out of pieces of dowel rod covered with the ground seed heads.

There is a hay field set at our hobby shop for $20 which includes hay bales and hay stacks. They give you a packet of fine flocking??? a mix of yellow and green---perfect for what i want but not enough to make an entire field. Don't feel like paying for plastic hay cubes when i can make them out of square balsa wood. It's the covering of hay that doesn't look real

Since then got lucky and found a hay baler at a show for $2.00 so throw out the round bales and start making cubes BUT not happy with the coarse look of the seed head.

Ideally would like to have Part of the field mowed and part waiting. The non mowed i think i can replicate with yellow fake fur.

Woodland Scenic doesn't have any thing. Ground foam is too coarse.

any suggestions

Here is some pics of my field before i change and start over
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 424  ~  Member Since: June 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2021 Alert Moderator 

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - October 22 2012 :  07:56:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Sweet!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 22 2012 :  12:44:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
that don't look bad to be honest
Would you like pics of REAL hay bales?
Also they use flat bed semi trailers to haul these too Tied down of course

Edited by - microbusss on October 22 2012 12:45:19 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - October 22 2012 :  3:38:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
quote:
that don't look bad to be honest

i know but i am a perfectionist and any way fun to come up with stuff that works and is intended for a completely different use

Would you like pics of REAL hay bales?

thanks but seen enough in my day

Also they use flat bed semi trailers to haul these too Tied down of course.

I'll see what's at the hobby shop, something that could go on back of tractor

Originally posted by microbusss - October 22 2012 :  12:44:13 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 424  ~  Member Since: June 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - November 07 2012 :  10:05:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
did it!!!

Got lucky and found a hay bailer at a train show for $2.00 that made cube bails. They wanted $!3 for a round bailer on Hobbylinc.

So toss out the round bails and make square ones.

Then i asked a farmer friend at work about the process of bailing hay. I thought it was all one step like a combine but found it was four steps: mowing, drying, raking, and bailing.

So that eliminated the problem of trying to replicate an alfalfa field half mowed.

Now the next challenge is to find a meat packing plant that doesn't cost $!00. So far only affordable i've found is on E Bay and they're more a meat packing/butcher shop vs a real slaughter house that goes from cow to beef. I've seen them on E Bay but they're so large

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 424  ~  Member Since: June 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 07 2012 :  10:30:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
did it!!!

Got lucky and found a hay bailer at a train show for $2.00 that made cube bails. They wanted $!3 for a round bailer on Hobbylinc.

So toss out the round bails and make square ones.

Then i asked a farmer friend at work about the process of bailing hay. I thought it was all one step like a combine but found it was four steps: mowing, drying, raking, and bailing.

So that eliminated the problem of trying to replicate an alfalfa field half mowed.

Now the next challenge is to find a meat packing plant that doesn't cost $!00. So far only affordable i've found is on E Bay and they're more a meat packing/butcher shop vs a real slaughter house that goes from cow to beef. I've seen them on E Bay but they're so large

/tyco/forum/uploaded/derfberger/20121107100433_PICT0018.JPG

Originally posted by derfberger - November 07 2012 :  10:05:28 AM

Fred,
Growing up a farm boy myself, in the south west corner of Pennsylvania, only one thing on your hay field that I'd change... your hay "windrows"......they should connect or a be one long continous run of hay thats been raked!

I myself, would have made them like a continous circle on inside the other around and around and then end it in the dead center of your field. As the tractor and bailer, to the outer most section, and have the the windrows follow through to the center....Also the windrows would be "tighter" raked, so that the hay would be heavier then loose, (I used to mow and bail achers and achers a day! The straight rows makes it difficult to "bail" with a stead slow tractor motion, and in a circle you would achieve this! As you'll see in the picture I've "retouched" for you to understand what I'm taking about......

This would also give a good reason to have a "hay wagon" someplace close, with another tractor, OR have it coupled to the rear of the bailer to have the bails "kicked" into the wagon as the bailer you have pictured is actually a kick bailer and would load the wagon itself!

HOWEVER its not always true! on the curves on the rounded windrows, you could leave a bail here and there as a "missed kick" that didn't make it into the wagon!

To change that detail of your hay bailer, remove the "screen" portions around where the hay would come out of the machine! Then you could add ALOT of bails, and a second tractor with a hay wagon as well waiting at the entrace gate of your field!

Hope this is helpfull!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!

Edited by - EM-1 on November 07 2012 10:32:33 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 07 2012 :  12:51:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
EM-1 is right I seen how they do it here in Nebraska where I lives
Yeah farming has gotten under my skin Considering I live in the city
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - November 07 2012 :  1:45:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
shows you what a city boy i am

thanks for the ides

I'll change the pattern as it makes sense to avoid a 180 turn but only do half so that the other half is finished. Part of the problem is the hay field is too small

guys at work talked about a kicker and wagon and going to the hay loft and tossing bails, hard work

Could you elaborate on this like draw a pointer to the "screen portions"

"""to change that detail ( what detail? ) of your hay bailer, remove the "screen" portions around where the hay would come out of the machine! Then you could add ALOT of bails, and a second tractor with a hay wagon as well waiting at the entrace gate of your field!

If there is a second tractor which i have and a wagon what would he be doing? waiting to remove the filled wagon and replace with an empty. LIke i said will get quite congested as didn't allow for all the activity

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 07 2012 :  3:20:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Fred,
Well I'll do another picture of the bailer so you know what I mean by the "screened section" in a bit.....

As for the field, you know where your fenced gate is, thats where the action would begin from a farmer stand point. You would then turn the tractor to the left as if you were operating it. This being the tractor itself coupled to the bailer is off sided. Meaning the bailer is going to pick up the windrows of hay to your right.....This is why I drew the picture on the field in red that you see.

Now as for the red "lines" I made on the field, is only an idea of how to run the windrows......They would NOT be "hard angles" or a better term "acute" angles as the red lines make, they would be way more free flowing and soft curves due to how the real machinery works.

I do however agree that your hay field is small, normally it be atleast double the size you have it in HO scale, and then that be a bare minimum! BUT your space is workable as I have drawn it out for you.

Now, for the extra tractor, and wagon. IF you have the bailer made to just "drop" the bails as its pushed out, this extra tractor and wagon, would go around, AFTER the bailing was done, to pick up all the bails to return them to the loft in the barn for storage. This would also allow you to add some HO scale figures standing around that second tractor, for when the bailing tractor is finished doing the bailing work. Thats when a few people would walk the field, and hand pick all the bails and stack them onto the hay wagon.........REMEMBER, the hay wagon in this set up would have NO sides on it......AND, you would have one person on the wagon, as a few people on the ground hand the bails to him, to be neatly but quickly stacked on the wagon itself.....WITH NO sides on the wagon, you would have a tail gate type part on the very rear of the wagon, that keeps the bails on it when in motion, BUT thats it! This means your bails, on the wagon would be stacked like if they were bricks, to inter lock which holds them in place.

As for a place to sit this, that field gate you have, open it.....and sit the tractor and wagon just outside the gate, off to the right side (I'll draw this on the edited picture when I show the parts to remove off the bailer.....See below:

Let me know if you can see what I wrote within the picture!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - November 07 2012 :  4:54:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
wow

Talk about realism, didn't know there was so much to making a bail of hay

will get my farmer friend over when i'm done

yes the print balloons are there.

I'll re do the windrows (new word in vocabulary) and take another pic.

What does cutting the sides off the bailer do as far as making bails

Since it's a small area instead of hooking a wagon behind will station one out side as you suggested when i find one.

Only concern is that the cattle just out of the pic will wander in and start eating

i'll be back

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 07 2012 :  6:56:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Fred,
Well this is what I know and how I know its been done for 100 years as my uncle is and has been a farmer for my life time and then some!

As for the parts on the bailer to be removed.......I'll explain alittle!

As you have it, the era you look to be modeling is a older time, with older equipment. The bailer as it is, now, as pictured is of a bailer from about 1980.....and newer!

With the era your modeling as it seems from the tractor and pictures is in the old days, when there was no such thing as a "kick bailer" which means the bailer, kicks the bail into a large wagon that has 6 sides, BUT the front is a lower side for the ball go into it easily. This is determined by those "sections" I said to remove which I shown in black in the picture I posted above. Those screened sections were to "guide" the kicker to kick the bail straight...... kind of like a guide. Today, those are not on the bailers any longer as they are "shoot" out the end with 2 fast moving belts to shoot the bail into the wagon! Which these "kick" bailers, never existed in the days of steam, early diesel.

So those area's (of the bailer) have nothing really to do, with making the bails, they are simply a guide to automatically "kick" the bail into a wagon that would follow behind, coupled to the bailer.

Now another idea would be to take all your hay bails, and have then vertically follow the line of bailer travel, as you have them, they are side ways, not long ways as the bailer would push them out of the machine.

Let me know if this makes sense! I'll help you along with it as its not that difficult really!

As for the "extra" hay wagon, yes, that is a GREAT idea for the space your working with, and I didn't even give that a second thought, when I typed out the above message!

~John

caboose 1
Big Six

L&N Hummingbird

Posted - November 07 2012 :  7:35:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add caboose 1 to Buddylist
The guy across the road from me does his field twice a year....first, he mows, then he rakes and it makes rows of piled hay (straw grass, whatever)..then he hooks the bailer to the john deer and starts at a corner and does it like a zamboni does an ice rink....bailer drops the bailes (round and tied with plastic mesh) in the field. Then he'll go back out and "stick" (fork lift prong)2 or 3 on the tractor and take them to storage in the upper field...i've seen 'em go out as many as 5 at a time on a skeleton trailer....
caboose 1
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 352  ~  Member Since: November 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - November 09 2012 :  6:05:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
found a wagon and here is the revised field

The pictures might depict Amish but they don't use powered machines, Menonites paint their vehicles black.

It could be the early 1900s but I have no steam, too expensive.

So i have no era, just a hodge podge of stuff picked up at estate sales and train shows

about the baler Why is that bar across the back? Wouldn't it prevent the bales from discharging. What would removing the sides do as far as performance.?

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 09 2012 :  7:29:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yay looks good Tho I do recognize the yellow & black cars next to the farm house as Tootsietoys!

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - November 09 2012 :  8:58:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
quote:
yay looks good Tho I do recognize the yellow & black cars next to the farm house as Tootsietoys!

Originally posted by microbusss - November 09 2012 :  7:29:14 PM

oh well, the drivers don't know any better

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - November 09 2012 :  9:00:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
WOW Fred! This looks totally amazing! I am very impressed. I love the vehicles next to the house, everything looks just so wonderful. Remember in the 1950s you'd see everything you see - even into the 60s. Steam wasn't totally dead yet, it was being replaced but not gone entirely. Diesels were in but not the only thing.

Everyone did NOT have the newest everything. You'll still see old farm equipment to this day from the 50s and 60s still being used.

My "era" is going to be up to about the 70s although if I have something newer well it can just be "new" to the time. I'll have mixed steam & diesel on mine. "A bygone era" and it will be inclusive, just the things I happen to like.

Remember - fantasy railroading can be every bit as much fun if not more fun than specific modeling - this way we don't have to count rivets. Have fun!

I totally applaud your hayfield - it looks so realistic - it's GREAT!

Rus

Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - November 10 2012 :  6:05:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
thanks Rus for the compliment

Would you believe one of my Home Depot friends who is a farmer and has visited my layout brought me a John Deer tractor and round baler to work today. I was floored. Didn't have the heart to tell him it's not to scale,

I'll put it some where on the farm

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 12 2012 :  12:03:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
found a wagon and here is the revised field

The pictures might depict Amish but they don't use powered machines, Menonites paint their vehicles black.

It could be the early 1900s but I have no steam, too expensive.

So i have no era, just a hodge podge of stuff picked up at estate sales and train shows

about the baler Why is that bar across the back? Wouldn't it prevent the bales from discharging. What would removing the sides do as far as performance.?

/tyco/forum/uploaded/derfberger/20121109180056_PICT0002-001.JPG

/tyco/forum/uploaded/derfberger/20121109180142_PICT0003-001.JPG /tyco/forum/uploaded/derfberger/20121109180220_PICT0004-001.JPG /tyco/forum/uploaded/derfberger/20121109180241_PICT0005-001.JPG /tyco/forum/uploaded/derfberger/20121109180313_PICT0006-001.JPG

Originally posted by derfberger - November 09 2012 :  6:05:12 PM

Fred,
The revision looks GREAT! The bails are the right way, and all looks AWESOME!

The hay bailer has that "bar" to make the side screens stable. Thats one of the details that I'd remove as they were for a "kick bailer".....Which in your field, your not using. Thats why I mentioned to remove them! I'll be posting a few pictures of revised pictures you took to so different ideas on it! Which will be coming right up!

Here is one of them:

Just an idea IF thats not a "embankment" on the right side of the track where your cows are!

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 12 2012 :  12:08:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Fred,
See this picture:

I want to see what the side of that bailer looks like and I'll see if I can recommend anything for you to do to it to make it more prototypical!

~John

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 12 2012 :  2:54:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yo EM-1 the cows go UNDER the track instead of over
I see that alot out here on highways in NE & WY

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 12 2012 :  4:09:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Ben,
Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't see it when I modified the picture! NICE eyes for detail!

I didn't notice the "path way" and then I had wondered why the brown spot in the pasture! LOL makes sense now!

~John

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - November 12 2012 :  8:36:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
Hey!!! good eyes Ben, you beat me to a reply

here are a couple of pics from another angle showing a cowgirl herding the cattle under the tracks out to pastuer . Every one of those cattle are painted authentic as to breed.

also the beginning of my cattle pen staging yard, which at this time debating on whether to have a meat processing plant in same location. biggest problem is dealing with all the cow poop. Next purchase will be a manure spreader

You wanted some side pics of the baler

My apologies to all the other members.

I fully realize this is primarily a Tyco forum devoted to collectors of tyco memorabilia , rare collectibles, kit bashing, unusual finds etc and not farming.

But I've had a blast kicking around my ""farm"", thanks everybody for all the in put

fred from MI

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - November 15 2012 :  8:51:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Very nice scenery. Derf, you've got an eye for color, too. One of your pictures shows the barn, windmill, cows feeding and a goat. I used to fly over the countryside in a small airplane at low altitudes. The colors you have of the various kinds of soil on a farm and where different animals make different paths and trod; looks very much like what I would see from the air.

A suggestion about your hay: I have heard of taking a regular house paint brush from Home Depot or whereever. One of those blonde or straw colored ones. Cut the hairs or fibers into short lengths and glue them to the layout or roll into a bale. Makes for realistic broom straw, I think.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - November 15 2012 :  9:09:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
You said you originally wanted a round hay baler. Just for grins, here is what's near my house. They are about 5' in diameter.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - November 15 2012 :  11:43:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
[quote]You said you originally wanted a round hay baler. Just for grins, here is what's near my house. They are about 5' in diameter.
[

thanks gives me a good idea for spacing.

as mentioned a co worker and farmer friend bought me a John Deer tractor and round bailer. Didn't have the heart to tell him it's the wrong scale, I'll find a place for it.

Thanks NC for the compliments. If you look real hard behind the barn there are 3 goats of which one is standing on a rock. That's Roy and he only has three legs. Named him after my farmer friend who raises goats for meat.

I'm not much on trains and model types but can spend hours with the scenery

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - November 16 2012 :  07:14:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
Fred, this IS a Tyco forum. We have Tyco in common. Past that, we have whatever we have on our layouts and proudly show off everything we do. No apologies necessary to anyone. We have Varney, Tenshodo, Marx, Life-Like and everything else, too! We even have all that English stuff as well - and we enjoy every single bit of it.

I just absolutely love your details on the scenery. You promised me pictures of your scenery on the layout and this is just fantastic. I love your posts and can't wait for more pictures!

You definitely inspire me for things I want to do on my layout. I have many items that are not quite to scale or detail too. I've got some Tootsietoy cars that I'm dreaming up buildings around. I've got some slightly oversize and some slightly undersize items I'll be working into my layout to add some forced perspective as well.

Keep the pictures and stories coming! This thread is actually making me think whether or not I want a farm on my layout (and I probably do!).

Rus

Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 25 2020 :  7:42:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Fun idea for farm scenes on your layouts.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5845  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 12 2021 :  8:58:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I have been struggling to make a realistic hay field.

i found a decorative grass that produced seed heads when ground up looked O K but not great. It is too coarse but is the right color. Yellow saw dust too coarse

I wanted a round hay baler and found one for $15 too expensive and out of stock

Started out with round hay bales as easily made out of pieces of dowel rod covered with the ground seed heads.

There is a hay field set at our hobby shop for $20 which includes hay bales and hay stacks. They give you a packet of fine flocking??? a mix of yellow and green---perfect for what i want but not enough to make an entire field. Don't feel like paying for plastic hay cubes when i can make them out of square balsa wood. It's the covering of hay that doesn't look real

Since then got lucky and found a hay baler at a show for $2.00 so throw out the round bales and start making cubes BUT not happy with the coarse look of the seed head.

Ideally would like to have Part of the field mowed and part waiting. The non mowed i think i can replicate with yellow fake fur.

Woodland Scenic doesn't have any thing. Ground foam is too coarse.

any suggestions

Here is a picture of my field before i change and start over

Originally posted by derfberger on  October 21 2012 at 10:57 PM

Very realistic scene.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5845  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 12 2021 :  10:22:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
By the time the baler is in the field, the hay has been mowed and raked into windrows. There may be a delay between mowing, raking and baling for the hay to dry and cure. The yellow part of your baler would go down the windrow picking up hay from the ground. In the video linked to here, you can see the process. There should be a windrow of hay ahead of the baler, and bales behind it, so your idea of having the field half mowed should be done as all mowed but windrows in only half of it and bales in the other half. Your equipment doesn't look very modern, so I think the step of gathering up the bales would be done with a wagon behind a tractor rather than a fork lift attachment. Unless you model a pretty dry climate, the bales would probably go in the loft up in the barn.

https://youtu.be/JNzJHxgKMT4

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 12 2021 :  10:38:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great modeling.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Life-like Buildings / Home Scenics Topic Next Topic: odd crossing idea  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000