Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LotW June 3rd-9th 2012
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW June 10th - June 16th, 2012 Topic Next Topic: LOTW 27TH MAY-2ND JUNE  

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 03 2012 :  5:43:07 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Guys:

So here's my "Lathe of the Week"! That's what LotW mean's , right??? (see footnote)
It fits here cause ya know it's obviously a Conrail unit!

Atlas 10100 Mk II Lathe

The best part, in true Shaygetzian serendipity is, the Atlas 10100 Mk2 Lathe is free!
Someone on my Machinist's Forum, who advised me on buying it put me in touch with his brother, who is giving me four Austin Mini engines and boxes of parts. I'm selling most to a guy I know who runs a British Car restoration specialty shop to raise the money for the lathe.
Next best of all is I'm keeping one of the motor's and the special chassis parts built by "Cooper" for special Racing Homologation machines in 1960-63. They only built a 1000 a yr so as to allow the race cars to compete in World Rally Championship Racing among other events. That's cool! and for you Kiddies on the list (Under 40) these are original Mini's we're talking about...

-Gareth

Note; I'll be inserting an HO Loco pic later to make this in the letter of the law so to speak as opposed to the spirit!

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Edited by - romcat on June 03 2012 6:52:22 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - June 03 2012 :  6:05:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
What a nice lathe! One day, I'll learn how to use one.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 03 2012 :  6:09:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
my lotw is not a lathe but a loco,a proto 2000 heritage np 2-8-4 ken

ps nice lathe of the week

Edited by - catfordken on June 03 2012 6:13:39 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 03 2012 :  6:12:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Nice Berkie!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 03 2012 :  9:06:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The second of my three recent locomotive acquisitions from Romcat Seen here pulling a short super dome train through Daisy Station is this fresh Tyco CN C430:

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - June 03 2012 :  9:48:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My LOTW:

Mantua Busy Bee converted to a 0-4-4T Forney:

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 03 2012 :  9:52:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Sean:

knowing how you love "B's" that must hurt a bit however novel.

I like Forney's too!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - June 03 2012 :  10:37:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:

knowing how you love "B's" that must hurt a bit however novel.

Gareth,

Thanks!

I love em a well done kitbash or scratchbuild even better. I must have 6 or more Busy Bees that are original. To have one like this is just special.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - June 03 2012 :  10:38:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:

The best part, in true Shaygetzian serendipity is, the Atlas 10100 Mk2 Lathe is free!

-Gareth
Originally posted by romcat - June 03 2012 :  5:43:07 PM

Alas, sigh, groan...if only...

Although old timers keep telling me I have the guff to do it on a bench with hand tools...might just hafta give it a whirl...

Edited by - shaygetz on June 03 2012 10:40:29 PM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 04 2012 :  08:34:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Guys:

So here's my "Lathe of the Week"! That's what LotW mean's , right??? (see footnote)
It fits here cause ya know it's obviously a Conrail unit!

Atlas 10100 Mk II Lathe

Someone on my Machinist's Forum, who advised me on buying it put me in touch with his brother, who is giving me four Austin Mini engines and boxes of parts. I'm selling most to a guy I know who runs a British Car restoration specialty shop to raise the money for the lathe.
Next best of all is I'm keeping one of the motor's and the special chassis parts built by "Cooper" for special Racing Homologation machines in 1960-63. They only built a 1000 a yr so as to allow the race cars to compete in World Rally Championship Racing among other events. That's cool! and for you Kiddies on the list (Under 40) these are original Mini's we're talking about...

-Gareth

Note; I'll be inserting an HO Loco pic later to make this in the letter of the law so to speak as opposed to the spirit!

Originally posted by romcat - June 03 2012 :  5:43:07 PM

Gareth,
Boy my friend, your gonna hate to see the cost of the headstock chuck for that Lathe!

I'll stick to my Microlux, and Unimat.....

What they soak you for that one? (I've heard that "Atlas" lathes, are really good tho!)

EDIT: Yeah its Conrail blue!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!

Edited by - EM-1 on June 04 2012 08:36:22 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 04 2012 :  10:28:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey John:

Actually the guy found a 3 and 4 jaw chuck for it and is tossing it in! He's throwing in all kinds of attachments and a tool box as well! I tell's ya, "Shay-Serendipity"!

It cost me $400 which is a steal. I could sell the steady rest and milling attachment alone for $500+ on ebay so I'm pretty happy. Even moreso since I won't be spending and "new" money to buy it (See Austin/Morris motors above)

Hope to have your little package estimated and ready to roll tomorrow...

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - June 06 2012 :  09:34:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Conrail blue, pretty cool. I wonder if the CR blue and this color are some generic industrial blue?
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 08 2012 :  11:25:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Gareth,
I got some good news that I have found.....you looking for a 3 inch rotary table to fit the Unimat? I can get them NEW for something like $70.00!

You bet I'll be getting me one! It sits flat, and then can be stood vertical for a dividing plate as well!

I had a close look to it and is pretty tight tolerances and has no "play" in movement (which is a milling MUST.....)

They're made by Chicago Machine Tool Company......

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 08 2012 :  2:42:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey John:

A 3" rotary table!? Sounds sexy, geez I must be getting old1 are there dividing plates available for it?

Now that I have the 6 x 18 Lathe I doubt I'd buy another accesory for the Uni but at that price. I'm likely going to convert one of my Uni's to a dedicated Mill.... perhaps a 3" rotary table would be good there.

Next on the ajenda is a really excellent drill press, then a Taig mill with 14" of travel in "X". At that point I'll have a very nice Machine Shop. Well a Horizontal band saw will be needed....

Btw, I haven't forgotten your TOFC car or railings I am just overwhelmed at the moment with things that are challenging me in a way that's fairly profound. It will take some time to shake this off.. I own't forget. Get that truck packed up for me... postal code is:

L3Z2B2

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 10 2012 :  06:02:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Gareth,
I'm working on a rather large trade locally.....I got a "Jet" cabinet shop table saw, that I plan to take and trade in at a local machine shop store, that carries a full line of "Jet" tools, in trade of a $3,000 saw for a Mill and a lathe thats a look alike to the Microlux units, same size as the models were about 3 years ago, old new stock too!

Thing is, even tho, they're "look alikes" this shop carries all replacement parts AND tooling for them as well! I bought the saw from the state I live in as it was concidered surplus.....

As for the 3 inch rotary, yes, it sure is sexy! I was all happy to find that little beast!

I too have a "Removal Mill" AKA, a drill press with an extra headstock bearing added to take out any play in the spindle.....Was made from a Craftsman table top mounted drill press, with laser centering.....I bought a cross slide table from Harbor Freight some time ago, to add to it......I'm also adding a complete "Z" direction of travel rack to it so the table can be wound up and down instead of the swing method......Plus the table will be mounted permantently in the front position, and the headstock will turn left or right.

Works pretty well for removing things from shells and frames without having to set up the actual mill to do it, and still allow pretty good tolerances. I'd never make gears or anything as such with it but, it does just fine at .008 tolerances so.....When it was originally something like .032 tolerances.....

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 10 2012 :  06:24:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
My LoTW is a NICE Broadway Limited AC6000 in CSX paint, only the shell/fuel tank! I plan to custom fit a Athearn AC4400 or C44-9W frame to it....I plan to post pictures, ONCE I get my USB port issue repaired/patched.....

~John

Previous Topic: LOTW June 10th - June 16th, 2012 Topic Next Topic: LOTW 27TH MAY-2ND JUNE  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000