Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 25 ]  [ Total: 25 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Penn Line Midget (Whitcomb) --> STC Heritage Unit
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: MDC Climax Topic Next Topic: Fleischmann Baldwin VO Switcher Tune-Up and Review  

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - April 16 2012 :  12:26:08 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Shortly before he passed away, George Bennett (aka LoopNhook) sent me the diminutive item shown below:

As the box says, it's a Penn Line "Midget" diesel - purported as the smalled self-powered HO diesel loco of its time. Smaller than a Tyco Plymouth, it probably still is. I had never seen of heard of them before Loopy sent me this. He said he'd had it forever - undecorated, never turned a gear - and wanted me to do something cool with it.

I had an idea, but it took me a while to refine it. And longer still to move it into production. But I think he'd be pleased with the result:

The Saint Canard Midland's first Heritage unit, painted in the colors and scheme of its original childhood draft. Named for inspiration and the light that guides, and numbered appropriately.

I drilled the headlight housing and top of the body to insert a bulb (which it turns out I do not have on hand), made the "Whitcomb" band myself, created decals to simulate the front windows missing in the casting, and added the horn from a Tyco F7. The casting was made to take Loop-and-hook couplers, so kadees will not fit... however their two-piece design allows Accumates to squeeze in. Sadly, the handrails were lost before I received it.

STC #1 is assigned to light shop duties and special events. As most shop forces are wont to do when it comes to favorite locos, they've given this one another name. With an homage to both the popular term "critter" for small switchers, and a play on a favorite costume and animal of the CEO's two daughters, this little engine that can is affectionately called the "Ladybug".

(The less sentimental might note the STC's stylized logo, placed left of the numeral "1" in the STC's original font, almost combine to a "01", evoking the famous "General Lee" - humor planted firmly in cheek).

Thanks, Loopy!

Edited by - spiderj76 on April 16 2012 12:34:18 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 16 2012 :  08:24:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I like it
Maybe those who got stuff from Loopy (me) should post stuff in here on another thread?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - April 16 2012 :  08:32:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi Ben that's a good idea,a tribute listing,depends how much stuff he gave away but still a nice showing of respect,to a well respected train buff,ken
PS and by the way Tony that is one beautiful loco,of which i am sure he would be pleased about,are you going to put the handrails on in white with a similar stripe as petrol tank is what i thought,or leave as is

Edited by - catfordken on April 16 2012 11:16:11 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 16 2012 :  10:11:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Excellent looking loco Tony. I really like the paint scheme.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - April 16 2012 :  4:40:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Hi Tony!

Awesome little switcher! This was actually the D-2 as can be seen on your box label. The pic below is of the first version. I am not sure if hand rail wire was ever actually supplied or if the builder was supposed to supply it themselves. Finding these in original kit form is nearly impossible.

Loopy was a good fellow indeed and a thread dedicated to his locomotives and other equipment would be a pleasure to see. I know he has /had a Mantua all brass 2-8-0 Consolidation that I would be interested in seeing. I sold him the brass tender for it.

Here is the first version of the Midget diesel. Note the motor peaking through the back of the cab and the brass chassis. The unit was originally band drive. I have one someone converted into a gear drive. They are heavier than the later models, but in fact, are a little smaller - hence the motor did not fit inside the cab:

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 07 2023 :  9:07:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Originally posted by spiderj76 on April 16 2012 

Gorgeous photos.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5930  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 08 2023 :  12:20:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Tony is a man with a lot of modeling talent who always had a unique collection of projects going.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: MDC Climax Topic Next Topic: Fleischmann Baldwin VO Switcher Tune-Up and Review  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000