Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 5 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Custom track inspection critter
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Finished Akane Cab Forward Topic Next Topic: A site worth a look  

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 04 2012 :  11:22:29 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
So awhile back I put everything on hold because I has a inspired moment. Decided I wanted to completely kitbash something. Detail it to hell and back. And I wanted this thing to be a speeder for my personal railroad. I did some looking online and wanted to build something sorta small like a Plymouth critter.
http://www.terrapinnarrowgaugesociety.com/MJ_Plymouth.htm
Not quite to that level of detail, but the general look of it. Especially since I found out one similar to it worked out of a sand quarry near my house almost 100 years ago. The issue was as I began digging for parts, was I didn't have wheels small enough to mimic that look. Undeterred I gathered together all the spare pieces I had and decided to build my own original creation. Started off with the base, which was I believe a passenger car truck. I swapped the old plastic wheels for nicer metal ones. The interior of a matchbox car provided the seats. A air compressor from a life-like construction kit would service as my motor.
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/DSCF2940.jpg

Initial assembly showed it would be easier for me to take a chunk out of the rear motor so it fit flush. Added in the center catwalk and started reinforcing the rear. The engineers I bought didn't help much.
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/DSCF2950.jpg

Some bracing along side the engine for to hold some future handywork. I wasn't a fan of the exhaust stack so I crafted up a muffler.
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/DSCF2952.jpg

Really decided it should be worthy of being a MOW vehicle and picked the color accordingly
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/DSCF2953.jpg

Detail parts I made. Wood tool box, fuel tank, and the headlight which didn't make the final cut since I found a better one. The tool box is by far one of the smallest detail items I've ever created I think.
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/DSCF2954.jpg
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/DSCF2957-1.jpg

Coming together! The front tool area is planked off with some bass wood I cut. Took forever to figure out how I was going to do the front end. Ended up cutting up a pilot off a old IHC steam engine. The cow catcher went up front while the other parts went to the rear.
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/DSCF2958.jpg

Worth noting I had to cut the engineer's arm so he could reach the control sticks between the seats (go look they are there haha). And the other fella I bought from a train show and repainted. And yes I'm building tools to put along the front holding area.
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/DSCF2989.jpg

First shot of the crew out on the rails of the rental layout! Headlight was cut off a old tyco/mantua steamer I believe? Then filled with glue to give a lens effect. Boxed in the tool area with some more wood. Staples served as handrails haha. I forgot to take shots of the rear. There is a working coupler back there in case a rail car needs moved or if the critter is being towed.
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/DSCF2990.jpg
/tyco/forum/uploaded/ChrisC/DSCF2991.jpg

I'll post up some more pictures later soon as I get it on the home layout. Especially the back. Hope you guys like it!

Edited by - ChrisC on November 09 2012 10:37:21 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 04 2012 :  11:56:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Hey, that is a really nice kit-bash! I like it ! You obviously cared enough to put in the extra work to make it realistic. Very cool.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 05 2012 :  12:57:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That is seriously cool, Chris! Very creative... I never would have thought of that. Reminds me of the loco on a mine train I rode years ago out west.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 05 2012 :  05:33:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Looks to be prototypical even if it's freelanced. I'm impressed.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - March 05 2012 :  7:04:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
Hey there Chris- once again, you demonstrate a keen artistic sense for plausible kitbashing! That critter could easily be fit into a 1940s-1950s layout, as one that a smaller railroad put together from what was at hand.
The elevation of it to a MOW unit makes sense, as well.

(Then Siouxlake is heard to mumble...that darn ChrisC! Once again, his evil genius for railroading appears from out of nowhere!!!!!! Now, what am I going to do?????)

Seriously, that is a great job you have done, my friend!!!

Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - March 05 2012 :  7:16:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Cool!!!

Great job BTW!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - March 05 2012 :  7:37:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Very cool...on the level of John Allen cool...
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 05 2012 :  10:39:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
quote:
Very cool...on the level of John Allen cool...

Originally posted by shaygetz - March 05 2012 :  7:37:52 PM

Whoa careful now. With those sorta comparisons my ego will block out the sun lol. Glad you guys got a kick out of it So thanks for the compliments it means a lot and pushes me a little further each time. I'm pretty happy with this one, to date I haven't seen much like it anywhere else. And if Ron goes to copy me again I look forward to his creation because I know it'll make mine look shabby by comparison haha.

So few more shots. The tools are done, not bad for scrap pieces! The back end I didn't have as much focus on what I wanted it to look like as I did with the front. It worked out in the end and I lucked out with the coupler sitting at a useable height. (Camera went a little color nuts on me sorry about that, its a lot more toned down in person).

Here is a fun size comparison. The smallest piece of rolling stock I own is my cut up Tyco tank car from the kitbash contest we did on here a few years ago (which I still need to finish ). But its alive and well, and here it is DWARFING the speeder.

Even a 40' boxcar towers over it!

I forgot to add a horn. I still MIGHT go back and do that later. But the ones I had would have looked like a vuvuzela mounted off the front since its kinda big so maybe I'll wait till I get a smaller one. Also, originally I planned for a roof. It would have worked and probably looked within the theme of the whole model. However getting it mounted so it didn't look ungainly wasn't in the cards. Lastly I was going to letter it for my personal railroad...but there is just no room haha. Overall though I'm happy with it. It's got a big mission coming up in a few days that deals with my home layout so I'm looking forward to posting that
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - March 05 2012 :  10:55:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
quote:
I forgot to add a horn. I still MIGHT go back and do that later. But the ones I had would have looked like a vuvuzela mounted off the front since its kinda big so maybe I'll wait till I get a smaller one.
Originally posted by ChrisC - March 05 2012 :  10:39:54 PM

have you thought of using either a truck horn or maybe an N scale horn?

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 05 2012 :  11:38:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Awesome work! It looks great and very believable
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3324  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - March 06 2012 :  05:16:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
Chris- on this, I would not want to copy you, as it represents absolutely original inspiration. Your research connection (the photo images of those other critters) makes a solid case for that!

However, that shorty tank on a flat car.... Well, I have been looking into weed control MOW cars a bit...

Either way, it's a great job!

Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 06 2012 :  09:05:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
looks neat but if you look at it It resembles a converted crawler
Course I'd of made the headlight work
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 07 2012 :  10:20:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
quote:
looks neat but if you look at it It resembles a converted crawler
Course I'd of made the headlight work

Originally posted by microbusss - March 06 2012 :  09:05:49 AM

At first glance I thought it was a cut up Tyco crawler!

Great job, the cowcatcher really gives it a distinctive appearance.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - March 07 2012 :  10:37:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi ChrisC,

That is an awesome track inspection car! I have never really done much in the way of kit bashing.

Love it!

Mytyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CamdenLine
Little Six

Camden Line

Posted - March 07 2012 :  1:39:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CamdenLine to Buddylist
This is great inspiration. I was just thinking of kit bashing some MOW equipment. I like how it turned out. Great job.

-CamdenLine
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 178  ~  Member Since: July 02 2010  ~  Last Visit: August 22 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - March 08 2012 :  04:52:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Did you get the same kinda tool box that Buster Keaton had on the "Railrodder"?
Served him completely coast to coast, across Canada!
A very useful tool box.

John

p.s. I recommend the DVD "Buster Keaton Rides Again/The Railrodder"
Absolutely a priceless novelty!

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - March 08 2012 :  1:57:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Wow! That's pretty brilliant work, and I agree the spiritual comparison to John Allen is fairly applied. Well done. I've got too many "stock" projects on the bench waiting completion but I've been thinking it's time to put some of my scrap parts to use... might have to try something like this, but I've really been wanting to freelance a loco for some time now too. Thanks for sharing, and fantastic work!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 08 2012 :  2:25:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
God I love Youtube so much....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiqqxyZeDXo

Can't believe the whole thing is on there, definitely a interesting watch!

Thanks again for all the comments If it inspires somebody else to try their own all the better! One other thing I didn't address, my brother asked my why I didn't attempt to power it. I had a few ideas on how. But if you've ever taken the wheels on or off anything you know you need to flex the truck to get the wheels out. There was a stage during construction where I eventually made the truck too ridged to remove the wheels anymore. I broke a few glue joints on accident trying to get away with not doing that. So without being able to freely remove the wheels I didn't worry about it anymore. It does roll freely so it has that going for it haha. It did add a lot of time though since I ended up painting a lot of the pieces independently before putting them on so I wouldn't have to mask them from overspray.

Edit: I posted just a hair after Tony haha. Seriously Tony I'd love to see the STC shops put something on the rails that was a total homegrown creation. I've had a few ideas for one off locos. But I need to grace a few more parts boxes at shows to get what I'm looking for.

Edited by - ChrisC on March 08 2012 2:29:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 08 2012 :  4:03:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Chris, powering something that size wouldn't be easy anyway. Maybe a Bachmann Trackster motor would fit.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 09 2012 :  12:09:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
A few years ago at radio shack here were these little RC cars called Zip Zaps. The motors in them were basically the same as you would find in a cell phone or pager from what I'm told. A lot of those little RC choppers sold right now use the same small motors. You could literately fit one down inside the truck assembly, and use either gears or even a rubber band to connect it to just one axle. Problem is I don't know what kind of voltage those motors are capable of handling so they might need a resistor or something in there. Again it could be done in theory. I did manage to convert a old Tyco slot car chassis to work on the rails once. Never used it for anything it had a few bugs that needed worked out. But it would move. Neither setup I mentioned would tow much of anything, maybe 1 or 2 light cars I'm guessing.

One more thing, its worth showing this off. I was showing the critter to my brother and we were talking about what if it was powered. Then it hit me long ago I read a thread online about a guy who built a critter much like I did, then powered the caboose behind it. This is a really awesome build IMO.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21836
There are quite a few similarities between my critter an the one in the post. That other one is larger and built a little differently. But the cow catcher, motor, and seat arrangements match up between the two. But a lot of the critters/speeders I looked at have the same setup. Like I said when I started mine I was mentally thinking of the old Plymouth critters for inspiration. I just couldn't built it small enough so I ended up going a little bigger to get what I was looking for. Still, I have a bobber caboose from a failed project laying around. I wasn't going to motor it. But I am debating painting it orange and tossing it behind the critter and show the two off as a matching set.

Anyone even thinking about building something similar go for it! The amount of individuality & character you can build into one of these is amazing. Down the road I'm debating building a 2nd one based off a standard freight car truck. I think that's well within reason to do. I was going to give it to the owners of the rental layout so they had a speeder as well haha.

Edited by - ChrisC on March 09 2012 12:15:58 AM

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 09 2012 :  1:36:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
quote:
A few years ago at radio shack here were these little RC cars called Zip Zaps. The motors in them were basically the same as you would find in a cell phone or pager from what I'm told. A lot of those little RC choppers sold right now use the same small motors. You could literately fit one down inside the truck assembly, and use either gears or even a rubber band to connect it to just one axle. Problem is I don't know what kind of voltage those motors are capable of handling so they might need a resistor or something in there. Again it could be done in theory. I did manage to convert a old Tyco slot car chassis to work on the rails once. Never used it for anything it had a few bugs that needed worked out. But it would move. Neither setup I mentioned would tow much of anything, maybe 1 or 2 light cars I'm guessing.

One more thing, its worth showing this off. I was showing the critter to my brother and we were talking about what if it was powered. Then it hit me long ago I read a thread online about a guy who built a critter much like I did, then powered the caboose behind it. This is a really awesome build IMO.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21836
There are quite a few similarities between my critter an the one in the post. That other one is larger and built a little differently. But the cow catcher, motor, and seat arrangements match up between the two. But a lot of the critters/speeders I looked at have the same setup. Like I said when I started mine I was mentally thinking of the old Plymouth critters for inspiration. I just couldn't built it small enough so I ended up going a little bigger to get what I was looking for. Still, I have a bobber caboose from a failed project laying around. I wasn't going to motor it. But I am debating painting it orange and tossing it behind the critter and show the two off as a matching set.

Anyone even thinking about building something similar go for it! The amount of individuality & character you can build into one of these is amazing. Down the road I'm debating building a 2nd one based off a standard freight car truck. I think that's well within reason to do. I was going to give it to the owners of the rental layout so they had a speeder as well haha.

Originally posted by ChrisC - March 09 2012 :  12:09:22 AM

I have one of those motors, not sure if they are powerful enough to power even a track speeder, but the battery that powers them is small enough to look like a fuel tank of sorts. It would fit right on a track speeder like that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - March 10 2012 :  07:27:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
God I love Youtube so much....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiqqxyZeDXo

Can't believe the whole thing is on there, definitely a interesting watch!
Originally posted by ChrisC - March 08 2012 :  2:25:07 PM

I have the dvd of this that also has "...Rides Again."

Chris... Mint, just mint. Priceless, I'm speechless.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - March 11 2012 :  08:15:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Chris,
That kitbash is clever and creative. The tool box is a real gem! I like the hinges and weathering.

Is it big enough for a TYCO slot car motor?

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 11 2012 :  09:16:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
After thinking about your freelanced model, I believe you have enough here to write and submit an article to Model Railroad Craftsman Magazine!
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 11 2012 :  11:17:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
While at an antique auto flea market yesterday, I picked up some diecast vehicles and among them was this one, a Hotwheels forklift ( or what's left of one ) from 1980's

I'm thinking of turning this into a MOW vehicle, actually more a yard mule for lightweight or empty freights to move them around. Why tie up a full-blown engine for that?

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 11 2012 :  12:47:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
OMG.....look at this thing.....I mean just look at it. THIS is what I'm talking about!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=391728

NC shortlines - You MIGHT be able to cut down the components of a slot car chassis to fit inside the critter chassis, but it would be a REALLY tight squeeze. You've be better off converting a slot car chassis to run on rails and build off that I think.

Glad you like the tool box! Its actually pretty simple for anyone to do. Started with a small block of styrene cut to the size I needed. Glued some bass wood to the sides & scribed lines into them so they appeared to be made from planks rather than one piece. The lid on top was cut slightly oversize for effect so it covers the edges of the sides of the box. Hinges are very thin clear styrene that I painted. Handle is a small bit of a staple I trimmed & painted. Dabbed a wee bit of all purpose glue in the spots I needed it. Then VERY carefully moved the 3 items into place with the tip of a xacto knife and some patience.

Alco Fan - Thanks! But even I'm not sure if this is up to their level. If it inspires someone else though then I'm pretty happy with that

AMC_Gremlin_GT - Wow that's perfect! Sort of reminds me of a trackmobile.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=cqn&gs_nf=1&dc=ockm&ac=6&tok=l-SxwcGC0Ea5JR63fqXrtQ&cp=8&gs_id=c6&xhr=t&q=track+mobile&safe=off&biw=1920&bih=903&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=H9RcT9XuM-yD0QHG49DFDw

Take the base off the bottom. Replace the axles with a set of rail wheels that fit under it and your half way there. Getting the couplers to sit at the right height might take a bit of work. But other than that, maybe toss some detail stuff topside and I'd say its good to go!

Really I can't thank you guys enough for all the support. Nice to see for something I started on a whim a few weeks ago haha. If I do build another critter based off a rail car freight truck I'm going to do it as a build along thread on here I think. Try to keep it simple so people can build it into their own. Anyone interested in maybe seeing something like that?

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 11 2012 :  8:34:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Chris,

Here's a pager style motor that someone modified to fit on a truck axle. I thought I had pictures of it mounted, but I guess not.

This was from a motorized variable resistor, like a remote volume control. The housing and reduction gear were opened up to fit the axle, and it just hung on it. These motors are only about 1.5v - 3v, so you'd definitely need something to step the voltage down. No room for a decoder, tho, unless you put it in the MOW car behind it with flex wire to the speeder.

The Tyco Depot

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 11 2012 :  9:48:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
OMG.....look at this thing.....I mean just look at it. THIS is what I'm talking about!
://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=391728

Originally posted by ChrisC - March 11 2012 :  12:47:40 PM

Holy Schmolly, Batman! That is ONE , uh, um, gee, words fail me. Gotta LOVE the corrugated tin roof on it.

Jerry

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 31 2012 :  11:32:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Awesome work. I might try building one! I suggest using a bachmann gandy dancer or fairmont speeder, cutting down to the motor and frame, and building on that. The BN actually ran something quite similar to what you've got there, the only locomotive there ever was that has to be plugged in to run :) http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2153127
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - April 02 2012 :  1:49:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
quote:
Awesome work. I might try building one! I suggest using a bachmann gandy dancer or fairmont speeder, cutting down to the motor and frame, and building on that. The BN actually ran something quite similar to what you've got there, the only locomotive there ever was that has to be plugged in to run :) http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2153127

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 31 2012 :  11:32:37 PM

They say there is a prototype for everything! What's sort of scary aside from the color is that the ladders are in the same location. Thanks for sharing that!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 02 2012 :  2:33:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
chris ; that is a cool inspection car. Never seen another like it.
Frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 02 2012 :  5:07:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
IF I had the money & access to some old railroad parts I'd build me a real one similar to this hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 10 2012 :  04:30:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Chris,
Got this topic off your posting from the Pea nut butter lid project.....

I see your little "critter" and you know, I HAVE a way to POWER that little thing, pretty easily! OMG, the whole works is $10.00!

Will be going off to the shop tomorrow night to see what I have for parts to build one of my own as an "open" B&O speeder! [evil face] <--don't work!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 10 2012 :  04:33:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Chris,
Forgot to mention, that horn you planed? WELL, N scale my friend, N scale! IF not...........try Z scale! I know you should be able to fit it someplace then!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 10 2012 :  04:38:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 31 2012 :  11:32:37 PM

Just WTH powers THAT!???????

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 10 2012 :  04:44:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
While at an antique auto flea market yesterday, I picked up some diecast vehicles and among them was this one, a Hotwheels forklift ( or what's left of one ) from 1980's

I'm thinking of turning this into a MOW vehicle, actually more a yard mule for lightweight or empty freights to move them around. Why tie up a full-blown engine for that?

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - March 11 2012 :  11:17:44 AM

Jerry, that little thing would have to be "blown" to move a freight car, loaded! "Blown", being a blown gasoline engine! AND probably stroked, camed, bored, and well ported!

~John

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - November 10 2012 :  11:22:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
[Jerry, that little thing would have to be "blown" to move a freight car, loaded! "Blown", being a blown gasoline engine! AND probably stroked, camed, bored, and well ported!

Originally posted by EM-1 - November 10 2012 :  04:44:05 AM

We used to move railcars with a fork truck where I used to work. They Finally bought a locomotive making that job easier.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-a/alac00ast.jpg

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - November 10 2012 :  12:38:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T2toVf6j_k
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 10 2012 :  12:50:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Pushing cars with a fork truck, thats too funny!!!!!!!!!!!
~John

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 10 2012 :  2:21:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well it could be worse I knows they used to or still do push cars with a pole
All it had on the end was a lever & you put the lever under the wheel & lift up car would move

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 10 2012 :  10:16:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Ben,
Only IF the air brakes have air in them to release the brakes! IF there was no air in the brake line, it was "locked down"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Air brakes on trains work backwards to anything else.....You push the brakes to release them........

~John

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - November 11 2012 :  12:45:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
quote:
Chris,
Got this topic off your posting from the Pea nut butter lid project.....

I see your little "critter" and you know, I HAVE a way to POWER that little thing, pretty easily! OMG, the whole works is $10.00!

Will be going off to the shop tomorrow night to see what I have for parts to build one of my own as an "open" B&O speeder! [evil face] <--don't work!

Originally posted by EM-1 - November 10 2012 :  04:30:18 AM

Yea this got bumped again on accident because all the links to pics in the first post were somehow broken, sorry about that!

But hey since we are talking speeders I DEFINITELY encourage anyone to give it a shot. I mean all mine really is just a passenger or tender truck with some stuff glued to it. I still might attempt a smaller single passenger version out of a regular old freight truck sometime. But I'd love to see anybody else give their take on this. I'll toss a horn on it eventually if I ever come across one. Thanks to you guys I now have a ton of sources haha.

Powering it was an option, but never really the goal. The goal was to see how hard I could push myself on detail. And like I mentioned the project hit a point where the main chassis got so stiff I could no longer remove the wheels. So the correct way would have been to power it first, then build off it later. I actually started (and never finished) a powered HO chassis that used a Tyco slot car body as the base. I hit a few small snags with it. But I'd love to clear them up and actually run it someday.

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 11 2012 :  12:55:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Chris,
For this, you got me going with it. I love what you have done with very little parts, I can't imagine what I could do, looking at all the crap I've got laying around the shop....... BUT, I think I am going to build a powered EMD or BALDWIN truck for a shop "pusher" powered, even!

Anyway, I'm gonna see what I can do with some old Athearn metal trucks that bolt together to see if it would be possible to make one of them, as you made, but able to be separated for maintenance, to the motor and gearing I have planned to put into place to power the little tike!

And so its said, This is my 1,300 posting!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 11 2012 :  8:58:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Chris, it just dawned on me: I think that's a Roundhouse early wood beam passenger car truck under your speeder.

John, I think it took me a few years to get to 1,300 posts!

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 11 2012 :  10:44:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
Well.............. I got alot to say! AND alot to show. And, thats just me!

And your right, that is a Roundhouse wood beam passenger car truck!

I'm gonna make mine from a old Walthers, "metal" truck. and to that, will be bolted together on one side, so I can power it!

~John

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 08 2023 :  7:57:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"So few more shots. The tools are done not bad for scrap pieces.
The back end I didn't have as much focus on what I wanted it to look like as I did with the front.
It worked out in the end and I lucked out with the coupler sitting at a useable height."

Originally posted by ChrisC on March 05 2012 

Cool idea for repainting your maintenance equipment.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5940  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Finished Akane Cab Forward Topic Next Topic: A site worth a look  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000