Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 Smokey & The Bandit- In US-1!!!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco US-1 with Life-Like Trains and Faller AMS Topic Next Topic: Tyco Operating Pipe Loader to  

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - March 04 2012 :  09:37:06 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Here's the Snowman's completed truck & trailer... with the Bandit's Trans Am, of course!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator 

Pierce
Big Six

Posted - March 04 2012 :  09:51:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pierce to Buddylist
JohnnyKane,

That is sweet is it factory or did you custom paint and decal them?

Adam
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 204  ~  Member Since: August 19 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - March 04 2012 :  10:08:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
JohnnyKane,

Adam

Originally posted by Pierce - March 04 2012 :  09:51:24 AM

Thanks Adam!

The trailer is a custom using Testor's DIY decal film and an image while the rig was also a custom using Microscale trim film. The Trans Am is all OE Tyco.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 04 2012 :  12:23:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
NICE JK!! You should do another one and sell on Ebay - would like to see how high it would be bid up -seen a 1980's Ertl Smokey and Bandit sealed ho truck in package sell for over $300
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

badman55
Big Six

badman 55

Posted - March 04 2012 :  6:07:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add badman55 to Buddylist
quote:
JohnnyKane,

Adam

Originally posted by Pierce - March 04 2012 :  09:51:24 AM

That's very good! now you need a brown Texas patrol car to go with them. Even make more of the patrol car in various states of damage as the film goes on.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 252  ~  Member Since: May 16 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 10 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 04 2012 :  8:08:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
JohnnyKane.

Really nice custom work, you did what they say can't be done. Wish I had thought of it son.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on March 04 2012 8:09:38 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 04 2012 :  9:25:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Another very nice JK production! I like the slot car Johnny! I have the real car but have never purchased the slot car yet!!

I've heard that the Smokey cars in the movie(s) had big block Chevy engines in them. Probably did judging by as hard as they ran the car thruout the movie. In 1993, I installed a fresh BB Chevy in mine , 468 cubic inches of churning brute torque. It's like have 4 of the Pontiac 455's under the hood at once!

Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...

Edited by - walt on March 04 2012 9:48:12 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - March 08 2012 :  03:12:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
I would love to see a Smokey car, when at the end of it, was almost completely bent/sandwhiched , roof removed, still rollable with the wipers still swinging back & forth!

oh, remember to remove the driver-side door that got taken off by the auto carrier... put the door in the back seat... "...AS EVIDENCE OF VEEEHICULAR DAMAGE!... I'm gonna bar-be-que your ***!!!"

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - March 08 2012 :  06:49:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

I have a TYCO Big Detour set. I've thought about swapping the TA and Semi's slot chassis out and running them as slotless cars with a police cruiser.

Basically, put the TA in one lane... the police cruiser in the other... and the semi as the jam car.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - March 14 2012 :  11:32:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
The movie cars were mostly stock with Pontiac 400s except the jump car in the first movie, they put a 455 in it to get enough speed for the jump. A Trans-Am is a fairly heavy car at 3800 lbs or so. The second movie they had the turbo 301s and those were such junk the last scene of the car pulling the two elephant trailers it's not even running, they're pulling the whole works with a cable. The last one got the third-gen cars so they did have Chevrolet V8 engines, although the early ones were made so they could accept a Pontiac engine.

Putting a Chevy in a Pontiac is high sacrelidge....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 15 2012 :  03:37:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I'm not sure where the 3800 pound figure come from. I have a 79 Smokey Trans Am with a 454 Chevy bored 060 to 468 cubes. The BB Chevy engines weigh more than the Pontiac V8s. Along with having whats been called 200 pounds of Bose speakers and amps in the car. The TA weighs 3550, weighed at a scrap metal shop scales soon after I added the BB Chevy.

The need for the 455 over the 400 for the jump seems so unessasary. Even with limited approch space, the difference would be minimal. I've had both engines in my TA over the years. I could not justify the change for a movie jump speed needs...

There once was, probably still are, many, many older TAs that has had Chevy engines put in them. The Chevy is so much more durable than the Pontiac V8s. Adding a big block Chevy assures you won't be outrun in a street drag... A friend of mine has a 427 BB Chevy with the tri-power carbs in his 81 Turbo car.

Pontiac V8s are really "junk" for speed or racing uses. They have "weak rods" that break, or stretch enough to let the bearings spin. That's why the tach redlines at 5000 RPM. The heads are so poorly designed they breath like a poodle, with a poor oiling system and not great cooling, the Pontiac V8 is a racers nightmare. We call'em boat anchors. If you want a Pontiac motor in your grocery getter, you'll probably be alright.

Why Pontiac choose the 301 in their turbo cars is way beyond me. not a junk engine, just made no power..like any 301. A stone...

Putting a Chevy in a Pontiac means you are tired of changing expensive crankshafts after every run... and that you demand maximum power!

Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...

Edited by - walt on March 15 2012 10:06:33 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - March 25 2012 :  09:33:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
Pontiac V8s are really "junk" for speed or racing uses. They have "weak rods" that break, or stretch enough to let the bearings spin. That's why the tach redlines at 5000 RPM. The heads are so poorly designed they breath like a poodle, with a poor oiling system and not great cooling, the Pontiac V8 is a racers nightmare. We call'em boat anchors. If you want a Pontiac motor in your grocery getter, you'll probably be alright.

That's a true statement for most all B-O-P motors. The exceptions being the Olds rocket and the venerable 3.8 V6.

I think the fact that Pontiac created the SD series is a testament to how poorly suited Pontiac's engines were to the brutal life of racing. But... then again the 289 Chevy was also a weak motor and the 396 had problems to when they were developed. I think the difference is that Chevy had folks like Zora Duntov who were championing and developing V8 engines full time in road racing while Pontiac had Mac McKellar looking at new technologies such as OHC in I6 motors. The difference was focus and progression- and ultimately the Chevy had more time to develop and evolve before the EPA took over our air and regulation of our cars. Could the Poncho have evolved? Maybe. Then again, anything could have happened and gotten right with enough time and money thrown at it.

But what is ironic is that TYCO and Pontiac are now memories. And TYCO sure did make a lot of Pontiac slot cars.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 25 2012 :  11:59:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Actually JohnnyK, I like the Pontiac V8s for the old daily drivers. They were reliable. Pontiac produced the Super Duty engine that was still not real impressive compared. Getting oil to the front rods bearings of a Pontiac V8 is not easy! The 289 I never had cus I believe all 300 cubic inch motors are somewhat weak.
The 396 became a really strong engine once corrected by GM. The big block Chevy engines were built as racing engines and stamped "high performance". Chevy then decided they could use lesser cams and heads to make them work in normal street driven applications. The BBC cools easily, oils very well, and the heads breath like horses, and hold together well.

The sad part is that Trans Am was known to be sporty, racey cars, that in reality couldn't stand up (or hold up) to their competition.

Even with their flawed power plants, they are a very popular car and I will own mine until my last breath. I keep the exterior appearance exactly as it left the factory down to the unleaded fuel decal on the rear bumper..
It's been an awesome car and has created many, many good times!

asiberians
Switcher

Posted - January 07 2013 :  4:19:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add asiberians to Buddylist
I know this is an old thread- but I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm looking for someone who can create some custom US1 trucks for me. I'm getting married in April, and I want to give as a present to him some trucks that represent our history together. I saw your Smokey truck and thought that perhaps you could help me out, or point me in the right direction. I need a JB Hunt truck, a Swift Transportation truck and a First Fleet Truck- there are more that would be wonderful but those are the most important. Any ideas? I'm not able to do it myself, but if someone would be willing to do them for me I would be interested in buying them. THANKS!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: January 07 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 07 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - January 07 2013 :  7:17:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Here is a link for those "Snow Man" Kenworth decals:

http://www.tycotcrracing.com/index.php/decals/custom-decals/

Just download, and print! I myself have a Bandit Trans Am. HP7 chassis.

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

speedfreek101
Switcher

VGNAvatar

Posted - March 18 2014 :  11:21:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add speedfreek101 to Buddylist
That is so sweet. Thanks for posting.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 13  ~  Member Since: February 28 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 23 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 01 2014 :  10:34:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
My piece of Smokey & The Bandit history. Had the ole heap since 1984...

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 02 2014 :  01:12:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
do not know what happened to JK he had lots of uber cool stuffs
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 02 2014 :  7:35:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
do not know what happened to JK he had lots of uber cool stuffs

Originally posted by microbusss - October 02 2014 :  01:12:01 AM

No kidding.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 02 2014 :  8:25:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
This tag precedes and follows the Trans Am every where it went...

Edited by - walt on October 02 2014 9:37:38 PM
  Previous Topic: Tyco US-1 with Life-Like Trains and Faller AMS Topic Next Topic: Tyco Operating Pipe Loader to  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000