Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Varney Aerotrain, market value?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Fleischmann New York Central 0-8-0 Topic Next Topic: Varney Casey Jones  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 13 2012 :  7:20:28 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Anyone got an idea what "market value" might be for the old Varney Aerotrain? I bid on a dummy engine and one car this week, no wheels on either, and lost at $33 today. I've seen entire sets sell for more than $100. Dealers want lots of cash for them, too. Don't mind paying fair value, but don't want to overpay either. Just wondered if any of you have one , and might know what a fair price to pay is, I"m really just looking for the engine first, not necessarily the whole set. Thanks for any useful comments.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 14 2012 :  5:53:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
That seems to be my experience encountering these. I could have scored a complete MIB undecorated set at Timonium for $75 a few years ago, but was already tapped out when I found it, and finally seeing one up close left me leery of its construction (very flimsy w/ open chassis and would have needed work (more $) for powering efforts). Every now and then I'll run a search for one as I'd love the companion to my Tyco Talgo, but I figure my best bet is to hope for a lot lurker someday. IMO the engine is kind of pointless without the set as the coaches gave a cohesive articulated appearance and bore many design similarites to the GM "fishbowl" busses that were introduced at the same time. By itself the engine looks like a fanciful design exercise (which it still obviously was) but the coaches answer the inevitable "why" question. ;)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 08 2014 :  02:47:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Here is a powered one that I got cheap because of the lousy paint job.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - March 08 2014 :  07:20:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
I paid $60 for what was supposed to be a loco and 4 cars with two power chassis. Somehow the 4th car didn't get packed in when it got bagged. Shell has a minor crack up the nose.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 08 2014 :  09:48:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I want one too
Plus I'd build a real 1:1 scale one & improve the design
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 08 2014 :  5:54:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
We have one here in St. Louis at the Museum of Transport. I get to go play with it whenever I go for a visit
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 15 2014 :  02:29:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Here is the old gal at her present location.

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 15 2014 :  02:35:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Weird discovery, one would assume that the Aero trains used a Flexicoil truck similar to those used on EMD switchers but look closely....this truck is clearly fabricated and welded versus being a casting. The trucks for at least two units must have been built specifically for these trains while the third unit of this type built for the Jet Rocket used a conventional Blomberg truck.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 15 2014 :  2:15:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
the thing that flopped on this loco was they used bus chassises to make the passenger cars!
Which because of the then rough trackbed Cars would bounce too much
So putting vehicle shocks of a car that goes on the rails doesn't work at high speeds
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 15 2014 :  2:54:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi metalsmith1,she still looks as good as the day she was built,design wise,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 15 2014 :  6:53:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
One of these days I need to go to Green Bay to see the other one.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 01 2021 :  2:36:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 01 2021 :  2:43:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 02 2021 :  7:06:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh I did get a Varney Aerotrain in the long box with loco & 3 cars
  Previous Topic: Fleischmann New York Central 0-8-0 Topic Next Topic: Varney Casey Jones  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000