Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 remotoring ahm challengers & big boys
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Putting on AHM traction tires Topic Next Topic: AHM Chicago & Northwestern ALCO C628 #6717  

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - June 28 2011 :  5:38:37 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
i'm wondering if any of you has ever remotored an ahm challenger or big boy? i know it won't be hard, but i don't know crap about motors. what i want is this.

I just bought an old ahm rivarossi challenger. It is beautiful & runs OK, but it doesn't have much power. i want more power without losing top end speed. if it gets faster that's fine too. which
motor would you recommend?

does anyone know what kind of rpm the factory rivarossi motor turns? i'll post a few links to some motors. tell me what you like & why.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Flat-can-Canon-motor-has-5-skewed-poles-high-power-/360334031988?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item53e594fc74

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360375190259&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120742183778&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator 

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - June 29 2011 :  01:59:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Jerry,

The third motor on your list is a bruiser, but looks too big to fit. The other two would probably suffice, though I don't know how they compare torque-wise to the original. I did some side-by-side comparisons when I was considering remotoring mine, and was surprised at how much torque the original motors have, because they bested everything I tried in it.

Don't forget these Igarashis, which are a great deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Igarashi-18X33mm-Flat-Can-Motors-New-Double-Shaft-/270774314311

There is a remotoring tutorial on steamlocomotive.com: http://www.steamlocomotive.com/model/remotoringbigboy.shtml

If you wanted a drop-in fit, these Canon motors are as close as you'll get, although they have less torque than the original motor, and are a lot slower. They will make it crawl.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DCM-300/12-VDC-IRON-CORE-MOTOR/1.html

I'm guessing the large Rossi motor is under 10,000 RPM at 12v, based on motors I've compared it to.

I'm just wondering why your Challenger is sluggish to begin with... have you ruled out any mechanical binds, cleaned dried grease out of the gearing, cleaned the commutator and brushes? A little tuneup can do wonders. My original 1975 Big Boy is still running strong.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - June 29 2011 :  02:17:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
it runs fine, but when i start putting more cars behind it it starts slowing down. it would most likley do better with some free rolling rolling stock, but right now i'm using old tyco cars with a lot of heavy drag. i think it's got 13 cars behind it now. it does ok i just want more.

i run them wide open because i'm used to lionel o gage stuff. i don't have a ho layout started so the only action i have is speed.

how does the Igarashi motor stack up to the factory rivarossi?

jerry
Edited by - smokie on June 29 2011 02:38:43 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - June 29 2011 :  8:44:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I can't guarantee the Igarashi has as much torque as the original RR, but it will be far smoother at low speeds. I don't know how it would do in tractor pulls like that. NWSL reduction kits for the upper gearboxes would increase power while reducing speed significantly.

Traction was always a bigger problem than motor torque for me with my old Big Boy. I was able to haul a lot more with it than 13 cars, though. As for speed, these aren't tinplate locos, and while they were geared a little fast to begin with they won't be tearing around the layout like old Lionel or Flyer. Those who repower them are generally looking for speed reduction.

If you haven't already, I would concentrate on stripping out the old grease and replacing it with better modern lubes like those from LaBelle. Start simply with a tuneup and take it from there, and use some dry lube on your rolling stock journals.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - June 30 2011 :  5:27:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
Try adding some weight to the locomotive over the drive wheels if possible. Tractive effort may be lost if there is not enough weight were it is needed. Lead fishing sinker can be hammered into all kinds of shapes.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - June 30 2011 :  10:28:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Try: www.nwsl.com They have or had remotoring kits for the big AHM locos.
I'm in the process of remotoring my AHM y6b. If you got some $$$$$ go with a gearhead
motor.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - July 01 2011 :  4:05:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
quote:
Try adding some weight to the locomotive over the drive wheels if possible. Tractive effort may be lost if there is not enough weight were it is needed. Lead fishing sinker can be hammered into all kinds of shapes.

Originally posted by tkruger - June 30 2011 :  5:27:11 PM

another idea is to find the lo temp meltable weight, Ive used this to add some weight into my mogul (still can use a bit more...still can't pull worth a dern...)

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - March 27 2012 :  9:09:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I've been repowering Rivarossi since the stone age....(No comment from the peanut galery Nelson LOL)

Heres a picture of what I done, on the last one I done, a Rivarossi Big Boy....

and a better one:

The Canon DN-22 is a POWERFULL motor (VERY torquey!), and the Igarashi is even more so..... I've got 10 of these awaiting repowewers!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 27 2012 :  10:27:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
I've been repowering Rivarossi since the stone age....(No comment from the peanut galery Nelson LOL)

Originally posted by EM-1 - March 27 2012 :  9:09:28 PM

I couldn't joke even if I wanted to... I'm older than you.

It looks like that just involves cutting off the old motor mount and hogging out some of the plastic ribs on the cab casting. Those big screw bosses they put in the rear of the boiler drive me nuts... they're always in the way of a larger motor!

The Tyco Depot

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - March 28 2012 :  12:27:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
John,
I've got a Riva. Y6b to repower. Do you use the NWSL gearboxes or just repower with the Canon motor? Have you ever used the NWSL gearbox? I"m thinking of buying a pair.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - March 28 2012 :  7:02:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by EM-1 - March 27 2012 :  9:09:28 PM

I couldn't joke even if I wanted to... I'm older than you.

It looks like that just involves cutting off the old motor mount and hogging out some of the plastic ribs on the cab casting. Those big screw bosses they put in the rear of the boiler drive me nuts... they're always in the way of a larger motor!

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - March 27 2012 :  10:27:32 PM

Sorry Nelson, yeah I have to agree with your first comment from our talks in e-mail before I ever joined!

As far as the repower goes, the Canon DN-22, is one torque-y motor, it runs well, (I think the RPMs is like 7,200, but please, don't quote me on that) They run about a scale 90 MPH, if you time it right, and under low voltage, run slow, and have an amazing amount of torque at low speeds.

Nice thing on the DN-22 is the fact that it runs silently, and unless you hear the drivers hit a rail joint, you don't even hear them at fast speeds, and at low speeds, only the sound of the rods can be heard......AND they are DCC friendly, (NOT that I'M DCC friendly!) ALL my own collection is regular ole Analog! Besides my newest addition.......The Bachmann Spectrum B&O EM-1!

Also I agree with the screw mount lug inside the boiler of Rivarossi, I am working on a way to eliminate them on ALL my repowers!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - March 28 2012 :  7:07:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
John,
I've got a Riva. Y6b to repower. Do you use the NWSL gearboxes or just repower with the Canon motor? Have you ever used the NWSL gearbox? I"m thinking of buying a pair.

Originally posted by NC shortlines - March 28 2012 :  12:27:14 PM

I've been repowering for awhile, BUT, I will say I have never needed to use the NWSL gearboxes! And must add to that, I haven't had an issue with the factory gearboxes, myself, others have and I have replaced them with replacements from the factory.....Biggest issue, is that most don't keep them well greased and then the steel worm, chews the brass gear into gearbox "gold dust" which is a real issue once it even begins!

I am however building a custom 2-6-6-4, to be a B&O KB-1, and then another to be a B&O KB-1a, which one of them is from a pair of Mantua 4-6-2 frames, milled, and the other is being built from a Bowser Challenger. You guys after awhile will see, I get into the kits and scratchbuilding like no other, but as Nelson can say for me, I have a miniture machine shop so......I even cast my own line of detail parts, and to add to that, for sale as well, or even trade!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 28 2012 :  8:46:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Paul, I've used the NWSL gearing, and it works beautifully, but it usually isn't necessary with a new motor like the Canon John used unless you want the loco to really crawl. Also be aware that the NWSL gearing with a stock motor will probably increase noise, because the motor will be running faster.

NWSL has two ratios available. The most common gear kit gives a 60% speed reduction, which is a lot. The other gives a 30% reduction, and that's what I used in this Y6b along with a volume control motor from and old shelf stereo. It runs really well, and has a realistic speed range.

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - March 30 2012 :  6:34:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
NICE repower! Is that a record player motor? Even so, I bet it runs GREAT!

As for the NWSL regear, I agree, 30% is close and the 60% is WAY to much! Not that I have used them, but I may in the future specially on items that have larger diamter drivers, to get speed with a slower RPM motor.....

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - March 30 2012 :  6:39:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
NICE repower! Is that a record player motor? Even so, I bet it runs GREAT!

As for the NWSL regear, I agree, 30% is close and the 60% is WAY to much! Not that I have used them, but I may in the future specially on items that have larger diamter drivers, to get speed with a slower RPM motor.....

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 30 2012 :  7:52:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, and yet the 60% reduction kits are the common ones! They are way too slow, and really make the stock motor noise obnoxious. You have to search for the 30% kits, and the part number isn't even in their current pdf catalog. I hope they are still available.

The motor in the picture was actually a CD spindle motor, but I changed it to a volume control motor because it was a little slower and quiter. Different manufacturer (Panasonic instead of Mabuchi, IIRC), but the same basic can. The only reservation I have about motors like this is the precious metal brushes wearing out after a while, which has happened to some of the Power Torque retrofits we've done. If that happened, I'd open it up and put carbon brushes on new wipers.

And yes, she's quiet!

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 01 2012 :  03:02:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
You done a good job on that remotor Nelson! VERY clean!

Those precious metal brushes last a long time if they don't get hot, once they warm up is fine but extensive run time on them and "overheat" them, which isn't much is causes them to wear.....Or atleast thats what I have seen in the past with them....(I have one loco thats had a cassette deck motor in it for 15 years, and it runs as it did when I put the "NEW" motor it.....

The cassette player was litterally brand new! I got it and the cord, got slamed in a door jam, and riped the cord out, and snaped a PC board in side, in half! So.....I think I paid $29.99 for it so......... instead of returning it took about $125.00 worth of electronics out of it to use in the choo choo's! At lass back then, thats what you would have paid for the larger A-Line can motor set up so......That same motor is in a Rivarossi 2-8-4.

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 01 2012 :  5:19:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Thanks, John. That Y6b was the 60's version with the ball bearing motor, and it had slotted couplings that were noisy because they weren't in a straight line. The original owner tried unsuccessfully to quiet them down, so I just ditched them for NWSL shafts and universals in addition to the gearing.

I don't know about the longevity of precious metal brushes. Manufacturers say they're for low current applications, so whether they're moving a volume control or spinning a CD at relatively low RPM, they don't have much of a load on them. We run them at higher voltages and make them do more work, so it will be interesting to see how they hold out, but since I don't run the Y6 often it's not getting put to the test. The other issue is that the brushes already have wear on them when we pull them from equipment. Either way, it's always fun to experiment!

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 24 2012 :  06:54:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
That Y6 looks GREAT all together, the inner "middle" drive shaft, where did you get that from? It looks like a Micro-Mark, drive shaft that they sell as a kit!?

I would definately change EVERY ONE of those in all my older Rivarossi's!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 24 2012 :  5:37:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John,

The middle universal is made from a NWSL universal kit (2mm) with the horned balls pressed on to some NWSL 2mm shafting.

How did you get a Challenger and two Big Boys for $100 that you mentioned in the other thread? What condition are they in?

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 25 2012 :  07:38:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
Thanks for letting me know of the NWSL universal kit......you have a part number for that?

As for your question on the Challenger and 2 Big Boys....The Challenger is BRAND NEW! Never ran, paid $50.00 for it. The guy that had it I buy off of him at shows alot as he treats me pretty well so.....Told me the Challenger had a "gearing issue" and I was like, OK, (thinking to myself, it can't be that much wrong with it and even if it did, I got plenty of parts to make a repair! So, upon getting home with it unpacking everything I put it on the test track, and it "bucked" a few times in around 2 feet of run length. Took the top boiler off, and the screw on the front set of engines that is used to make it articulate was loose and the horned ball shaft that runs between the top and bottom gear boxes was jacked. I re-aligned everything and tighten down the screw that is the pivot, and Voila! Test ran it once more, smooooooooooth as glass!

The Big Boy's, are in alittle more difficult shape, Got them for $25.00 each off of another guy that had 'em both, one has a cracked cab, the other is missing a tender. I'm going to take the 2 to make one, and then the one thats left over will set for a parts donor, OR be re-built over time as I look for parts for him!

$100.00 total, new old stock Challenger that was probably like I got it from the day it was brand new!

Big Boys, need some work but.....(I got one of the Big Boys sold already so........Thats why I picked 'em up!)

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 25 2012 :  11:24:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John,

The # is 489-6. Universals are listed in part 5 of their catalog.

http://www.nwsl.com/NWSL_Online_Catalog.html

You stole those Big Boys, even if they are parts donors. I can't believe what I see damaged ones going for on eBay.

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 26 2012 :  07:18:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Thanks Nelson, for the parts numbers!

As for the Big Boys, yeah I seen them, sort of hidden so......I asked what they were going for and he said $25.00 each I was like, I'll take 'em!

~John

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 16 2012 :  11:44:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
I'm still using the stock motor in my Big Boy (actually, the stock motor ran so poorly that I bought one from Nelson ), and it's not as powerful as the Canon DN22 or Igarashi motor, but it still gets the job done with the stock gearing and runs nice and quiet. The NWSL regear kits really aren't needed unless you need more torque for low-speed freight.

The Big Boy did have an annoying vibration and rumbling noise at first. The motor is balanced and the gears are quiet, so I figured the problem was the universals. I put in NWSL universals, and it got a LOT quieter!

And speaking of obnoxious motor noise, check out my 40:1 regearing of a Rivarossi Dockside!

Too bad I like the noise those old ball-bearing motors make!

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 17 2012 :  01:51:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Darth, you've got to love a Dockside that sounds like a 747 spooling up... cognitive dissonance! That actually sounds like a smooth one.

I've posted this before, but this is my Dockside with a disk drive motor and Atlas single lead worm. It runs very quiet, and while I've had the precious metal brushes on a few of these motors wear through, hopefully a lightweight switcher won't load it down enough to cause that. I'm sure it would really crawl with the NWSL gears.

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - July 17 2012 :  04:54:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I love the speed change in the dockside! But the 747 taking off would have to go! Steam engine shouldn't sound like planes!

HOWEVER, because of the old motor and the new gear ratio, wouldn't the motor have to spin alot faster to make it run at the new gear ratio full speed as you showed in your video?

I would venture a guess to say that motor will run aehile but not long at high speeds as they're known to overheat from high motor RPM's!

GREAT job tho! I would simply be putting in a new flat can motor if it were me!

~John

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - January 12 2020 :  2:12:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
What motor is that that you used in the dockside? I'm going to do one myself
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Putting on AHM traction tires Topic Next Topic: AHM Chicago & Northwestern ALCO C628 #6717  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000