Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Prototypes
 Prototype Rock Island Sharknose
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: TYCO pre-production Pinkerton Detective Agency car Topic Next Topic: TYCO pre-production SF Shark  

fritdude
Switcher

Posted - June 04 2011 :  08:12:53 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add fritdude to Buddylist
Prototype Rock Island Sharknose

Recently, "the site" had numerous auctions that were clearing out what is said to be prototype lots of Tyco equipment. I was fortunate enough to win a few of these items; the one that I really wanted was the Baldwin Sharknose lot with four items; the Delaware and Hudson, the Southern Pacific, and early and late Rock Islands. I have little doubt as to the claims, as these are clearly hand-painted, lettered, etc., and the photos posted with the original full-lot listing (which did not sell until it was broken into smaller lots) are from the same place as the prototype photos you see posted here earlier. I want to share some of the details of the two Rock Island models.

Early Prototype.

This one did not see production. (too bad, I think that it looks great)

It is based on a dummy chassis. The left side is complete, and all the striping is handlaid tape. The lettering is also done by hand, and still shows the layout lines where these were penciled in prior to paint. The paint itself is nice and glossy, and there are brush strokes on the paint around the nose on the right side. The right side does not have the full striping, nor the lettering, as does the left.

Production Prototype

This one is very close to the production version. About the only difference is the yellow at the nose is angled sharply upward; the production version has a curved effect as it turns upward. Just like the other Rock Island, it is definitely hand painted, and on one side only. The right side, as shown in the photos, is not complete. The paint itself is not glossy, and more of a matte finish. Even though it is motorized, there is no wiring inside the shell.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 46  ~  Member Since: December 11 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 16 2017 Alert Moderator 

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 04 2011 :  08:21:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
I think the older style scheme is vastly superior!

Congrats btw!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - June 04 2011 :  4:44:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi fritdude,

Those are interesting for sure. The Rocket shark looks very much like one that was posted here back in about 2007. Please share with us the rest of your lot.

Thanks
Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - May 30 2022 :  3:54:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"Prototype Rock Island Sharknose

Recently, "the site" had numerous auctions that were clearing out what is said to be prototype lots of Tyco equipment. I was fortunate enough to win a few of these items; the one that I really wanted was the Baldwin Sharknose lot with four items; the Delaware and Hudson, the Southern Pacific, and early and late Rock Islands. I have little doubt as to the claims, as these are clearly hand-painted, lettered, etc., and the photos posted with the original full-lot listing (which did not sell until it was broken into smaller lots) are from the same place as the prototype photos you see posted here earlier. I want to share some of the details of the two Rock Island models.

Early Prototype.

This one did not see production. (too bad, I think that it looks great)

It is based on a dummy chassis. The left side is complete, and all the striping is handlaid tape. The lettering is also done by hand, and still shows the layout lines where these were penciled in prior to paint. The paint itself is nice and glossy, and there are brush strokes on the paint around the nose on the right side. The right side does not have the full striping, nor the lettering, as does the left.

Production Prototype.

This one is very close to the production version. About the only difference is the yellow at the nose is angled sharply upward; the production version has a curved effect as it turns upward. Just like the other Rock Island, it is definitely hand painted, and on one side only. The right side, as shown in the photos, is not complete. The paint itself is not glossy, and more of a matte finish. Even though it is motorized, there is no wiring inside the shell."

Originally posted by fritdudeĀ on June 04 2011.
What if?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5871  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: TYCO pre-production Pinkerton Detective Agency car Topic Next Topic: TYCO pre-production SF Shark  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000