Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 The Trading Post
 To some it might be junk
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Parts for my general Topic Next Topic: Hustler shells  

gregbarker
Switcher

Posted - January 29 2011 :  6:09:59 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add gregbarker to Buddylist
I am looking for the tyco set of the petticoat junction, anybody have a connection?
I know most collectors think tycos junk , but i would still like to have the set .
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: January 26 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2012 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 29 2011 :  6:38:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
They don't call this the Tyco Forum for nothing! WE don't think they're junky, just funky. LOL. Can't help you with something Petti like this, though. Maybe at a future time junction, I'll run across one of those sets.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 29 2011 :  6:54:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
IF you find one be prepared to spend HUGE $$$$ for one loco I wants one as well but SO high on price This also includes Iron Horse, Disneyland & Civil War sets
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 29 2011 :  7:40:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
IF Tyco is junk,, , then I'm quite a junk collector!
Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - January 29 2011 :  7:43:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
IF Tyco is junk,, , then I'm quite a junk collector!

Originally posted by walt - January 29 2011 :  7:40:31 PM

x2 for me as well!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 29 2011 :  7:53:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
It takes time,one will come along.I got the disneyland loco and two passenger cars,i need to complete my set. Watch ebay and once in a blue moon one will show up.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 457  ~  Member Since: February 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 29 2011 :  8:02:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
quote:
IF you find one be prepared to spend HUGE $$$$ for one loco I wants one as well but SO high on price This also includes Iron Horse, Disneyland & Civil War sets

Originally posted by microbusss - January 29 2011 :  6:54:32 PM

I got the disneyland loco and two passenger cars,i bought the loco knowing it didnt run,here it was full of hair wrapped around the worm gear. still need the cars to complete my set though.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 457  ~  Member Since: February 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 29 2011 :  9:27:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Also watch for train shows in your areas
www.GTexpo.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 29 2011 :  11:14:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Most Tyco *is* considered junk... but as debatable luck would have it, the Petticoat Junction set is one of a few that has held / increased in value over the years. That set, along with the Disneyland and Civil War sets of the same era, appeal to respective collectors outside the model train world.

If you are going for a full set - in nice shape including the box(es) - be prepared to spend about $200. Maybe more, maybe less depending on the moon - but that's a ballpark typical ebay figure. That figure is also typical of the Disneyland, Civil War, boxed Talgo, and certain complete key freight and passenger sets. Most anything else by Tyco can be had for next to nothing or not much; most sets bring from $30 to $75, maybe $100 for some of the "popular" ones.

If you're willing to be patient and invest time trolling and searching and browsing through lots and sniping, etc... you might find the individual pieces for much less, it does happen from time to time. Depends on a lot of factors, not the least of which is luck.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - January 31 2011 :  10:12:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
^^^^^ I collect junk like this guy does ^^^^^

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gregbarker
Switcher

Posted - February 17 2011 :  2:06:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gregbarker to Buddylist
I didn't mean for anybody to think i was calling Tyco junk, i went to a hobby store in columbus oh , and the guy said , they're junk, with my smartass comment i said ,
i'm 46 and when i was young there was not much of a selection of hobby stores in WV .
Tyco got people started in the model railroad realm that made other big companies a success
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: January 26 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 17 2011 :  2:27:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
from what i hear here in uk when i mention us toy trains,only 3 names are uttered bachmann and tyco/mantua,so i wonder if you asked people on the street over 40,there in usa,what name comes to mind,bet it wont be broadway or varney ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ptgolf
Little Six

Posted - February 17 2011 :  2:43:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ptgolf to Buddylist
There was a new set in the box at the train show is White Plains, NY several weeks ago. I think he was asking for $150. I told him to come on this forum, that someone was looking for this exact set. He said he didn't bother with the internet, i guess he would rather keep stock for several yrs before selling it! How much do you want to spend? He will be there again in December. I can either give him your contact info or get the set and send it to you.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 113  ~  Member Since: March 13 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 30 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 17 2011 :  3:15:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
from what i hear here in uk when i mention us toy trains,only 3 names are uttered bachmann and tyco/mantua,so i wonder if you asked people on the street over 40,there in usa,what name comes to mind,bet it wont be broadway or varney ken

Originally posted by catfordken - February 17 2011 :  2:27:59 PM

Well, you have to realize that the toy train sellers were in many different stores in the USA, back in the 1970's, like variety, 5 & dime, etc. , not just hobby shops. I remember my local hobby shop very well too, at the back of the store was a small 4x8 layout behind plexiglas, and opposite that on the wall, was a display case of brass engines, priced from $50-$200 in the early '70's. I used to drool over those! I couldn't tell you who made them, though. But on the bottom shelves back in the main store area, were the Tyco, Bachmann, AHM, etc. Those I remember. Varney? Marx? Gilbert? Penn Line? Nope, don't remember them at the Hobby shop, nor saw any that I recall in regular stores. If the price was over $5, I usually wasn't allowed to buy them then. Dad held the financial reins pretty tight back then, even when it was MY grass-cutting money I wanted to spend! I've got all my original trains I bought from back then, it's about 50% Tyco, 20% AHM, 20% Bachmann, and a few others like Athearn. I might have seen all those others, but the ones I remember are the ones I bought, which were the cheapest ones out back then. Most of the regular stores, and I remember a 5&dime which had Tyco stuff, 'cause I bought some then for $1 on sale. Price tags are still on my brown boxes. I remember trains being sold in Sears, Woolco, Woolworth, and others. Now, you can hardly find a place other than the lone hobby shop or online that sells trains. Toys R Us does have some, but not much selection other than complete sets. No individual stuff. So I don't wonder that the cheapest and most widespread trains were the cheapest ones out there, as that's what sold volume back then. Fine scale wasn't for children, you went to a hobby shop if you wanted that.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 17 2011 :  4:10:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i only remember the one thing,that was the sight of a train going around a track,detail,accuracy of scale did not bother me,but as you grow up it all falls into place and as the money you get and the knowledge you remember spoils all earlier thoughts and clouds you perceptions,you start counting the rivets,the size of the chimneys,what railroads really were out there,then you realise that toy trains are cheap,real train copies down sized cost a lot of your hard earned pennies (cents)and choose your route,i mix mine,toys i can afford,and copies i am lucky to get at bargain price,and thats where i am,between the devil and the deep blue sea,neither a pure toy collector or a rivet counter,just a fun loving guy,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 17 2011 :  6:54:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
I didn't mean for anybody to think i was calling Tyco junk,
Originally posted by gregbarker - February 17 2011 :  2:06:11 PM

No need to defend yourself on my account. I knew where you're coming from or you probably wouldn't be here.

Two things I believe are true;

• One man's junk is another man's treasure.
  • It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - February 18 2011 :  7:26:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
TYCO is only JUNK when you do not know how to fix and tune them so they run like real champs.
I have several and would not trade them for anything on the market.
If you don't believe me ask me!!!!!
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - February 18 2011 :  8:48:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
I agree Ken. My first Tyco set was mid-60's and is still running with a little cleaning and maintenance.

Apples to oranges... take your pick. But I have had lots of luck with Tyco and Mantua with a little TLC and know how...

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 18 2011 :  8:52:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well I did get my E-7 UP CofSF with Power Torque motor running I I paid almost nothing for it in the box Yes we all hate PT motors cause they junk Which I do agree with But my electronic genius of a friend who fixed it likes them Plus we do replace the motors with old flat CD motors Right?

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - February 18 2011 :  11:40:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
If anyone has a power torque motor they can't get going send it to me if I can't rebuilt it and have it running like it should I will buy it and pay the postage you paid to get it to me. I could install a CD motor for you if you want.
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gregbarker
Switcher

Posted - February 20 2011 :  7:52:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gregbarker to Buddylist
to ptgolf : if you know of how to contact that guy or anybody that could contact him at white plains ny show, i would surely appreciate it .
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: January 26 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Parts for my general Topic Next Topic: Hustler shells  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000