Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Introduce yourself.
 By way of Introduction...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic: TYCO Trains Value  

Strummer
Switcher

Posted - May 02 2024 :  10:48:57 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Strummer to Buddylist
I've already begun posting stuff, so I might as well give a little background info so I don't keep repeating myself...

In 1966 my brother and I got an inexpensive cheap Marx set (with the #490 engine and those odd plastic 4 wheeled cars) at Christmas. George (being 3 years older), was not interested, but the bug bit me then.

Stayed with that (along with slot cars of course!) until 1969 when I discovered a magazine titled "Model Railroader" and learned about "scale" model trains. Our Dad was an antique dealer, and after mentioning these trains, he returned from a show with a slightly used set of Tyco: SF F9, matching caboose, Kahn's reefer and (I
think) a gondola with track and a small power pack.

I did the whole HO thing until 1988 when I sold off everything (except my brass) and got into collecting Post War Lionel for a bit... until Kalmbach started "Classic Toy Trains" and the price of everything PW went through the roof.

So I sold the PW, went to a train show in 1994, discovered a brand called "Kato" and picked up a set of their N scale Unitrack, along with a few pieces of rolling stock. I had dabbled slightly in N in the early '70s, but was not impressed, but this Kato stuff was on a different level and I found all the improvements that had been made in N scale, so I did that for a while and really enjoyed it. It was like a smaller version of HO. But...

...I eventually sold the N and got into what I really was interested in, which was 2 rail O scale. I really love the heft and feel of the big stuff; this was like HO on steroids...awesome!

Recently I guess I have feeling a little nostalgia for my roots and have begun watching eBay for some "Red Box" era Tyco/Mantua...and so here I am.

it's interesting to see all the changes that have happened in HO since the late '80s; it kinda reminds me of what's gone down in O scale; less "building" and more "plug and play"...which is not my thing. I miss going to the hobby shop and spending time (and $) at the Cal-Scale display...

Mark in Oregon
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 16  ~  Member Since: April 17 2024  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2024 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - May 02 2024 :  8:29:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Welcome aboard Mark. Plenty of information and photos here to enjoy.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5970  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - May 02 2024 :  11:28:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Welcome aboard, Mark. Looking forward to seeing your layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 512  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - May 03 2024 :  10:08:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Welcome Mark! If you ever want to post pictures of the other trains you have, we'd all love to see!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 04 2024 :  02:22:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ditto!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11210  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
   Topic Next Topic: TYCO Trains Value  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000