Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Three-Dome Tankers for Fuel Service
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic: Build and review of the original GP9 from Athearn!  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 28 2024 :  1:06:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
On my layout, the main switching yard has fuel facilities for coal and for liquid fuel. Until lately, it was unlikely that there would be need for more than one kind of liquid fuel, so the fuel facility was a tank car for both delivery and storage and a pump and some hoses.

Of late, there's at least a possibility of the yard hosting a gasoline doodlebug, a diesel locomotive and an oil-fired steam locomotive (needing bunker oil). The simple solution was to replace the single dome car with a 3-dome car. Since a loaded car is occasionally dropped off and an empty picked up, that meant there has to be a pair of fuel cars. I already had one 3-dome car:

At a recent swap meet, I picked up another 3-dome tank and put it on a frame I already had:

After minor repairs to the railing, a bit of a repaint and my home-road reporting marks, there's a pair of 3-dome cars supplying all possible fueling needs. Now, I just need to make a bit more elaborate pumps, pipes and hoses to handle all those fuels.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2357  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 13 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 28 2024 :  4:47:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Bring on the Doodle Bug!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11208  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 11 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 28 2024 :  4:53:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very nice Don.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5960  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 29 2024 :  12:35:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
nice one
funny they used a M for a W
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 29 2024 :  6:14:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
nice one
funny they used a M for a W

Originally posted by microbusss - April 29 2024 :  12:35:50 AM

I've seen all sorts of things like that in real life. Especially where cars were picked up secondhand and new reporting marks applied in a hurry.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 486  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
   Topic Next Topic: Build and review of the original GP9 from Athearn!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000