Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Budd out?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Have a Safe and Fun 4th of July Topic Next Topic: lifelike australian set  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 26 2016 :  11:26:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

According to one source I read, the Santa Fe owned but two Budd RDC's used in
a commuter service between LA and San Diego, until a tragic accident claimed the
lives of 30 souls in 1956. I believe, could be wrong, that my Athearn rubber band
drive Santa Fe RDC's date to the early 1960's and am told that they are "non-existent"
in terms of rarity. What I wonder is if Athearn discontinued the SF Budd road name
as it was a little too close too comfort, roughly the same as making a model of a
Pan Am 747, or something. Any ideas as to the scarcity of the Athearn Santa Fe
Budds? I think it may have been a Greenberg's catalogue where I saw that.

I am puzzled why, when manufacturers slap Santa Fe on just about every model,
particularly in the 50's and 60's, why this would be such a rarity.

Edited by - Chops124 on June 26 2016 11:28:34 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11204  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 27 2016 :  08:37:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Athearn made 2 different what you call Budd cars in plastic. Previous to that they made these RDC's in all metal kits. They made more types in all metal, 4 or 5 I think. I think I have them all but they are in sad shape and need rebuilding. I'll take a photo of what I have and post it here.
toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 27 2016 :  09:00:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* I think their were 4 different RDC type powered passenger cars constructed by Budd. One was a all coach car. three others had different configurations of side freight , baggage, and mail combine configurations. They also made this all coach type as a unpowered trailer. The made 5 different types. In the tray, in the photo all are seen. They were called RDC-1 through RDC-5.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 27 2016 09:03:38 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 27 2016 :  10:22:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yes, very nice, hope they get restored someday, although
that would test even the most experienced artisan.

My question relates to why the "Santa Fe" moniker
was so scarce on this particular Athearn unit, and
if it perhaps related at all to the 1957 Santa Fe
RDC tragedy.

It is probably an unanswerable question, but the
relative absence of Athearn Santa Fe RDC's out there
does intrigue me.

Thanks for showing those nice vintage pieces.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11204  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 29 2016 :  07:44:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jeff what do you do to restore these sheet metal sided cars. They are like chrome plated light steel on tin. They don't buff out. Age hasn't been good to these cars. Is there a spray paint that has a chrome type finish. I have never noticed one.
frank

toptrain

fourteen
Little Six

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - June 30 2016 :  02:02:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add fourteen to Buddylist
Alcad makes a air brush paint that has chrome etc.

http://alclad2.com/

Modeling on the cheap
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 137  ~  Member Since: December 08 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 30 2016 :  3:34:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That would work, then, I like the patina of age.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11204  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Have a Safe and Fun 4th of July Topic Next Topic: lifelike australian set  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000