Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 23 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 My layout bnsf
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Dangerous Diamonds Topic Next Topic: Tyco Expander Layout 4  

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - October 09 2015 :  2:40:25 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Well I think I got to the point where I can at least SEE my layout!
It's a good ol' 4'x8'

An overwiew of the layout. It gets both the nice countryside and small town look

Here is some of the town (it's supposed to be Red Oak, IA), note the BNSF engine in the foreground

The tunnel, like going from Colorado to Iowa

The small hill with a road bridge (under contruction)

The primarily unfinished section of town, lots of potential here

Another shot of the town

The tyco depot is also on the layout! As well as many other things as you may have seen

I'll show you guys some more when I get to work on it

Edited by - bnsfIA on October 09 2015 2:41:12 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator 

dastumer
Switcher

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 10 2015 :  12:39:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dastumer to Buddylist
Will you ever add some switches to it? Looks like you could add some interesting spurs on there.
-Peter
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 97  ~  Member Since: June 11 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - October 10 2015 :  09:47:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
Will you ever add some switches to it? Looks like you could add some interesting spurs on there.

Originally posted by dastumer - October 10 2015 :  12:39:13 AM

Yes, not sure where to put them though
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 11 2015 :  02:03:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
Yeah, a few spurs will add interest, and enjoyment for you.
I understand about deciding WHERE to put them!!
Good scenery, and a nice layout bnsf.

I feel like my layout has grown bigger than I can manage!
Sometimes, the good 'ol 4X8 is just enough!

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - October 11 2015 :  09:55:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Wow, that reminds me a lot of MY layout! The use of the BNSF Railway, and some of the same buildings and accessories. I also have the DCC version of that Bachmann BNSF GP40 (it came with my E-Z Command control unit when I upgraded my layout to DCC.)
I remember my previous layout was also on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Then early last year, my parents were moving stuff around in our basement and recommended expanding the train table to an L-shape, so that started the beginnings of my current layout.

Yeah, some switches would be good on the layout. A passing siding and at least one spur I can recommend. Plus, I noticed the layout using steel E-Z Track. While it's not bad, I recommend you eventually move up to nickel-silver E-Z Track, as it's usually better-performing than steel. (I heard a rumor Bachmann may discontinue selling their steel E-Z Track outside of train sets.) My layout, however, uses conventional Atlas Code-100 nickel-silver snap track, and it gets the job done nicely.

I also noticed rolling stock using horn-hook couplers. On my layout, I've replaced most of them with knuckle couplers, as they look more realistic and are more easily compatible with modern equipment.
E-Z Mate knuckle couplers installed in the old TYCO coupler pockets using Kadee talgo-truck adapters does the trick nicely, though you could also use Life-Like's knuckle couplers designed for that purpose (when using any of these with TYCO cars, you may need to trim the edges of the "whiskers" to get them to fit.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - October 11 2015 :  10:02:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist

I did add some spurs to the track plan

I also added the Ore dump and LL coal tipple!

Another overview
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - October 11 2015 :  10:06:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
Wow, that reminds me a lot of MY layout! The use of the BNSF Railway, and some of the same buildings and accessories. I also have the DCC version of that Bachmann BNSF GP40 (it came with my E-Z Command control unit when I upgraded my layout to DCC.)
I remember my previous layout was also on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Then early last year, my parents were moving stuff around in our basement and recommended expanding the train table to an L-shape, so that started the beginnings of my current layout.

Yeah, some switches would be good on the layout. A passing siding and at least one spur I can recommend. Plus, I noticed the layout using steel E-Z Track. While it's not bad, I recommend you eventually move up to nickel-silver E-Z Track, as it's usually better-performing than steel. (I heard a rumor Bachmann may discontinue selling their steel E-Z Track outside of train sets.) My layout, however, uses conventional Atlas Code-100 nickel-silver snap track, and it gets the job done nicely.

I also noticed rolling stock using horn-hook couplers. On my layout, I've replaced most of them with knuckle couplers, as they look more realistic and are more easily compatible with modern equipment.
E-Z Mate knuckle couplers installed in the old TYCO coupler pockets using Kadee talgo-truck adapters does the trick nicely, though you could also use Life-Like's knuckle couplers designed for that purpose (when using any of these with TYCO cars, you may need to trim the edges of the "whiskers" to get them to fit.)

Originally posted by wiley209 - October 11 2015 :  09:55:10 AM

As for nickel silver track, I am going to switch over soon! I ordered some and it's on its way. For knuckle couplers, over half my rolling stock has them, just no time to get more though.

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - November 03 2015 :  5:57:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
More updates!

A Tyco Silver Streak hauling a load of coal hoppers

The temporary siding

FINALLY got the overpass finished! Gee if this was real the townspeople would probably kill me for the amount of time it took to complete this

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - November 03 2015 :  5:59:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Very Nice!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 03 2015 :  7:33:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Lookin' good.
And by the way, overpasses take a long time to build in full size, too.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 27 2015 :  09:14:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Christmas Updates!
I got a few locomotives and accessories for Christmas:

The Tyco Signal Man, looks and works well

I finally replaced my broken Freight Unloader Depot with a new one, and it works great!

A non running DR&G 4-8-0. The motor runs, but there is an issue with the electrical pickup.
But for $13, not bad

A running Mantua GP20, a bit pricey at $22, but it's getting harder and harder to find these in good condition with railings.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 27 2015 :  11:35:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
to get up the highway hill you gonna need a serious 4wd
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 28 2015 :  09:12:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
to get up the highway hill you gonna need a serious 4wd

Originally posted by microbusss - December 27 2015 :  11:35:40 AM

I'm thinking about tunneling through there

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 01 2016 :  8:26:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Now you're down to a kitchen table? This is a really
nice bit of Tycomania going on here. If you decide
to divest yourself of more Tyco, please give me firs
refusal. I'd love to see those circus cars beating
the oval.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - April 05 2016 :  7:24:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
Now you're down to a kitchen table? This is a really
nice bit of Tycomania going on here. If you decide
to divest yourself of more Tyco, please give me firs
refusal. I'd love to see those circus cars beating
the oval.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 01 2016 :  8:26:13 PM

Well, had to tear her down because of a move
Will get back into it this summer though

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - October 09 2016 :  09:47:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Welp, it's just a bit past summer, and I'm getting back to it!
Here is the current track layout plan(this time a bit bigger, 4x12), more updates to come!

This time, as per Wiley's suggestion, I am using all Nickel Silver Atlas track.

Edited by - bnsfIA on October 09 2016 09:49:49 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 09 2016 :  6:41:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looking good! Nice hopper string, too.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - November 01 2016 :  10:54:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Can't go wrong with Atlas Code 100 nickel-silver snap track! It also works great with those old TYCO accessories. In fact, on the early TYCO crossing gates and signal man accessories, the brass track section can be removed and replaced with a nickel-silver straight track section. I did that with my crossing gate.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Dangerous Diamonds Topic Next Topic: Tyco Expander Layout 4  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000