Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Found a red box Tyco Pacific
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: What is your favorite Tyco loco that you own? Topic Next Topic: Tyco''s original Super 630!  

70elcamino
Switcher

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - July 09 2012 :  1:35:38 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add 70elcamino to Buddylist
While on vacation last week, I found this at an antique store.

Have not had a chance to test it yet, but looks great.

Russell
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 42  ~  Member Since: December 22 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 22 2021 Alert Moderator 

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 09 2012 :  5:05:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
70elcamino,

that's really a find and it looks unused. Was it the only Tyco or HO item they had?

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - July 09 2012 :  5:59:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
wish i could find these in antique stores!
I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

70elcamino
Switcher

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - July 09 2012 :  6:59:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 70elcamino to Buddylist
quote:
70elcamino,

that's really a find and it looks unused. Was it the only Tyco or HO item they had?

Originally posted by Alco Fan - July 09 2012 :  5:05:21 PM

He actually had a few more cars out of the box, but they were $10 each and nothing special.
The dealer that actually owned them apparently bought out some old man who was having to move in with his family in another town. So at one time there was a lot, but had already sold most of it.

I did buy a new in the box Athern set, it's called the Leland Stanford, named after the family who started Stanford university.

And I found a train store in OKC, and bought a few cars from him.

Russell
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 42  ~  Member Since: December 22 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 22 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 09 2012 :  7:22:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
It's red box, so it has the brass axle bearings. What did you pay?
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

70elcamino
Switcher

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - July 09 2012 :  7:54:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 70elcamino to Buddylist
quote:
It's red box, so it has the brass axle bearings. What did you pay?

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - July 09 2012 :  7:22:14 PM

$37 bucks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 42  ~  Member Since: December 22 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 22 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 09 2012 :  8:59:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Not bad. My brown box Pacific cost me $30 in 1976, and that was the one with all of the problems.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

norgale
Switcher

Posted - September 16 2012 :  09:52:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add norgale to Buddylist
I found this in a box of trains that I bought for $100 but I don't know what it is or when it was made. maybe somebody here can help with this. It doesn't run so I'm sending it ti Yardbird for repair but meantime I'm looking for detail parts to add to it and trying to find out what it looked like when it was new. I see that thre is a simial one here on this thread but havn't found one that says T.Y.C.O. on the tender. Any info would be very much appreciated. Pete

Edited by - norgale on September 16 2012 09:57:55 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5  ~  Member Since: April 09 2011  ~  Last Visit: September 16 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - September 17 2012 :  10:16:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
As the other thread said, that is actually one of the earlier post-war pacifics. You said the tender and loco were both metal and that is the giveaway. A nice find! The "T.Y.C.O." on the tender puts this in the "Little Trains" era of 1950-54, with the green boxes... Mantua was just beginning to phase-in the "Tyco" name at that time. The lopp-n-hook couplers are another giveaway as this was a Mantua trademark before the X2F hornhook was developed. This loco was available separately as a kit.... since yours is decorated it may have been part of a set.

It does look complete and in excellent shape, and doesn't appear to be missing anything. Actually I don't see a pickup wire connecting the loco to the tender, so that might be why it doesn't run. I don't have many of the early Mantua steamers so there are probably some particulars I'm unaware of, but I think the motors on these are pittman-style and easily serviced (or replaced if necessary). Parts are very easy to come by.

I'd clean it up and get it running, but otherwise leave the paint as-is. Nice find!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 18 2012 :  12:59:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Those older Pacifics are nicer, having a metal pilot (and cab I believe), a larger, more powerful motor and enclosed gearbox.
The Tyco Depot

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - September 18 2012 :  9:51:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
quote:

It does look complete and in excellent shape, and doesn't appear to be missing anything. Actually I don't see a pickup wire connecting the loco to the tender, so that might be why it doesn't run.

I've only got one, so I don't want to be too general and say "all". On mine, there's no wire from the tender to loco, and it seems there never was one. My die cast T.Y.C.O. tender doesn't have a frame. The trucks screw into molded in posts sticking down from the inside top of the shell. The trucks are also different. Not what you'd think of if you look at any of the later Tyco/Mantua tender trucks. I'm not sure now, but the trucks may even have plastic wheel/axle sets in them too. I remember thinking I'd add a wire for better pick up, but then took one truck off and what I saw made me scratch the idea. I just can't remember now exactly what I saw. Guess I'll have to dig it out.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - September 18 2012 :  10:03:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
curious

is the engine powered or the tender
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 424  ~  Member Since: June 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 19 2012 :  12:09:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

I've only got one, so I don't want to be too general and say "all". On mine, there's no wire from the tender to loco, and it seems there never was one. My die cast T.Y.C.O. tender doesn't have a frame. The trucks screw into molded in posts sticking down from the inside top of the shell. The trucks are also different. Not what you'd think of if you look at any of the later Tyco/Mantua tender trucks. I'm not sure now, but the trucks may even have plastic wheel/axle sets in them too. I remember thinking I'd add a wire for better pick up, but then took one truck off and what I saw made me scratch the idea. I just can't remember now exactly what I saw. Guess I'll have to dig it out.

Originally posted by newhudson - September 18 2012 :  9:51:33 PM

They all had the loco pick up from one rail, and the tender pick up the other. If the wire isn't there then it was removed, but the lug screwed to the drawbar post on the tender. If it were loco pickup only it would have pickup wipers on the insulated drivers.

The Tyco Depot

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - September 19 2012 :  07:11:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist

[/quote]

They all had the loco pick up from one rail, and the tender pick up the other. If the wire isn't there then it was removed, but the lug screwed to the drawbar post on the tender. If it were loco pickup only it would have pickup wipers on the insulated drivers.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - September 19 2012 :  12:09:25 AM

[/quote]

I could of course be wrong. I'll dig mine out tonight and see what I find. Maybe somebody even swapped trucks on me at some point? I at least remember my tender not having an open bottom truck, where say a wiper would connect to any powered axles like the way Tyco passenger cars or the searchlight car, etc had.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - September 19 2012 :  1:44:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
I looked at HO Seeker and while there is no diagram for the early Pacifics, the parts list mentions specifies that one of the tender trucks would have been dual-insulated (plastic) wheels, but the other would have been insulated on only one side. The parts list also says that the motor has a 4.5" lead wire (long enough to connect a tender), and I found no mention of wipers. So I would guess the lead tender truck was the conductive one, and the motor lead wire connected to the bolster or drawbar screw.

http://hoseeker.org/assemblyexplosionMantua/mantua462pcificpg3.jpg

I may have one of these needing repair, buried in a box. If nobody else here digs theirs out I'll see if I can check. But mine might be missing some parts anyway...

Edited by - spiderj76 on September 19 2012 1:45:27 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 19 2012 :  5:00:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I has a question
Since some of these older locos & cars came with a loop type of coupler Is it easy to convert?
Neato loco tho Wish I could find some cheap
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 11 2023 :  12:20:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"I found this in a box of trains that I bought for $100.
I do not know what it is or when it was made.
Maybe somebody here can help with this.
It does not run so I am sending it to Yardbird for repair.
But meantime I am looking for detail parts to add to it and trying to find out what it looked like when it was new.
I see that there is a similar one here on this thread but hav not found one that says T.Y.C.O. on the tender.
Any info would be very much appreciated."

Originally posted by norgale on September 16 2012

Certainly is rare.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5896  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

richard p
Little Six

Posted - September 13 2023 :  08:45:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
What you have is a Tyco Pacific from the 1950’s. The T.Y.C.O. Road name was Mantua’s venture into the rtr market - basically prebuilt Mantua models. This was before any plastic parts were used in the steamers. Very nice stuff and not too common.
rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Strummer
Switcher

Posted - April 19 2024 :  09:43:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Strummer to Buddylist
I remember the first edition Kalmbach book "HO Railroad That Grows" had an 0-4-0 with the "T.Y.C.O" tender...

Good stuff, this.

Mark in Oregon
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: April 17 2024  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: What is your favorite Tyco loco that you own? Topic Next Topic: Tyco''s original Super 630!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000