Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Mantua Reading P7sa backdating to C1
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Started painting the Great Domes - Finally!!! Topic Next Topic: Repowering Tyco Talgo locomotive?
Page: of 2

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 21 2011 :  5:24:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 15

* Well I solved the firebox rear body mounting problum with a strip on metal.
toptrain

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on June 01 2020 10:10:01 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 28 2011 :  9:00:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Very nice cab, Frank!
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - November 06 2011 :  12:54:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
all i can say frank is i am gob smacked,awesome ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - November 06 2011 :  3:17:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
Hi frank,
Great job on your engine. Check out the site for the CPR Jubilees. #2929 last ran in New Brunswick and the whole crew was related to me.My Dad worked for the CPR for 50 years and I would like to get a jubilee.2929 is in Boston and has been restored and looks great.The jubilees that CPR had were streamlined and looked great.i would like to build one but it beyon what I would be able to do.
Check these out.
www.trainworld.org/oldtimetrains.cpr_steam/jubilee.htm
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 07 2011 :  5:55:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Awesome backhead detail!
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - November 19 2011 :  11:30:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I'm not gonna snipe, I'm very impressed. Brass or plastic it's great.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - November 19 2011 :  5:46:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist

This is the Jubilee I am trying to get. I can buy the real one but its in Boston and my S10 p/u won't haul it.
Anyway this is the Canadian version.
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 12 2011 :  11:28:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:

Frank! Frank! That engine looks awesome! Just awesome! Love the backhead detail and you did an awesome job on that cab too!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 22 2011 :  10:04:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** My C1 is progressing slowly. I am having problems with aligning the supports for the running boards. Also once done I will have to make all new supports and a solider running board to allow for mishandling of the locomotive. I can't build something, and the first time I pick it up, break it. I will spend more time and make it better.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 22 2011 10:51:43 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 19 2012 :  2:50:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Since my last post I took the built boiler front and added detail to it. The headlight and bracket. I fastened 3 number boards to the light and bracket. One on the bracket and 2 on the light's winged number boards, making the boards bigger. I mounted 2 marker lights. I also put the curved handrail to the lower part of the boiler front with 3 handrail stanchions. On the boiler fireman's side are 3 new steps and a short walkway made from brass, up on the firebox side. On the rear of the cab are the 4 short handrails. 2 help with climbing up to the cab. The other 2 are for safe entrance to the cab when running.
Today I put the 2 ash pan dumping appliances on the bottom of the ash pans. Also the big one. A coat of flat black paint on everything. I won't touch it for 2 days. Maybe Saturday night or Sunday.
Frank

the real one when new.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 01 2020 10:28:06 AM

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - January 19 2012 :  5:43:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Awesome work so far!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 20 2012 :  06:44:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
What Is The Locomotive Name For A 4-4-4 Type? Like 4-6-4 is A Hudson.

Originally posted by CNVIATyco - October 11 2011 :  4:45:06 PM

The Philadelphia & Reading briefly had some in 1915.

The 4-4-4
An unusual wheel arrangement for a tender engine...

Canadian Pacific's "Jubilees" were slotted to run "crack" 200 ton four-car passenger trains.

The two simple-expansion cylinders drove the leading coupled axle. The firebox, larger than that of most European large 'Pacifics' was fed by a mechanical stoker. All axles ran on roller bearings.
These F2a's, nicknamed Jubilees were named such to celebrate 50 years of CP transcontinental service.
A second batch of CP 4-4-4's, slightly smaller, had cylinders that drove the rear coupled axle.
All but one were scrapped in 1957-58.

The one was/is preserved. I see it's that one Ken has posted the picture of.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on January 20 2012 06:50:48 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - January 24 2012 :  09:37:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Looks good with the flat I think. You always do some impressive builds Frank (especially all of your decapods). But I really like how you pulled off the details like the cab to get the loco to match. I have a old Roundhouse 4-4-2 that I want to convert to a Erie 4-4-2. But I'm sort of jealous of your Mantua since a lot more stuff can be easily taken off it. Roundhouse molded a lot of the details on the metal shell and I'm really not sure how to deal with it. Espeically the domes since they are somewhat wrong. But seeing how you did this gives me a little hope When your done you'll have to post some pictures of your engine out on the layout!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 24 2012 :  9:46:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
looks REAL good
If you use glossy paint it'll shine too much & real railroads even now use flat paint With some glossy paint
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - January 24 2012 :  10:44:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
Frank,
You did a awesome job it looks great with the flat paint job.
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 25 2012 :  02:32:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
"To gloss, or not to gloss..."

Get a piece of flat picture glass, lube it up with Vaseline, put it in front of your camera lens for the next photo and click away.

Then, get a 3/4 photo of the locomotive, camera set to sepia, shoot... black & white, shoot...
Get some sort of earthy background and shoot again in both sepia and black & white.

Then post the photo's!

I'm sure you'll amaze us... put us in a "I wanna do it, too!" kind of frenzy... Feed the fire, man, Feed the fire!

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 01 2012 :  10:49:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
frank you worked hard building it,so you deserve to be the driver,so i will stoke the fire,and cook you some eggs and bacon,and we can have a nice sarney while we take in the scenery,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 01 2012 :  11:08:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
frank you worked hard building it,so you deserve to be the driver,so i will stoke the fire,and cook you some eggs and bacon,and we can have a nice sarney while we take in the scenery,ken

Originally posted by catfordken - February 01 2012 :  10:49:54 AM

Ken , I hoped you would say that. Thank you, have a good day.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 15 2012 7:01:25 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - March 28 2012 :  4:59:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Frank,
Where on earth did you get that cab? It looks scratchbuilt!? I am in need of something similar to that, WITHOUT the little window infront of the arched cab side window!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!

Edited by - EM-1 on March 30 2012 9:45:25 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - August 09 2012 :  6:00:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
A recent photo of Reading #110. This is after Ken and I came back from our ride.
toptrain

Originally posted by toptrain - June 14 2012 :  6:48:37 PM

Frank! That really looks awesome!

quote:
Where on earth did you get that cab? It looks scratchbuilt!?

John, he scratch-built it in styrene. You can see it on several comments back of this topic thread. He really did a great job!

Sean

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 09 2012 :  8:10:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Frank! That really looks awesome!

Sean ; I think that that is a engine I will like for as long as I can.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2012 9:26:37 PM

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - August 09 2012 :  8:33:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Looks great Frank.
A locomotive to be proud of for sure. Nice work.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 15 2012 :  8:31:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
A recent photo of Reading #110. This is after Ken and I came back from our ride.
toptrain

Originally posted by toptrain - June 14 2012 :  6:48:37 PM

oops the rear truck is abit derailed there hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 15 2012 :  9:42:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
*** As long as you kept the speed down under 120mph so as not to set a new record. You can take it for a spin.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2012 9:19:17 PM

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 17 2012 :  8:00:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
There is a good roster shot of Reading C-1a number 110 in the February 1985 issue of Trains Magazine (p.35). Unfortunately the photograph is used to illustrate E.W. King Jr.'s article about the physical characteristics of visually unappealing steam locomotives titled "The Rolling Mud Fence". In the article the author admits to a certain prejudice against locomotives with Wooten fireboxes, arch roofed cabs, and low running boards. Mr. King listed the Reading C-1a as 17th among the top 20 ugliest of all North American steam locomotive classes. In all due respect to Mr.King's opinion, I don't personally believe there is a such of a thing as an ugly steam locomotive.
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on November 17 2012 8:01:35 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 17 2012 :  9:12:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hi Scott ;
* Everyone is allowed there opinion. Also everyone can make a opinion on someone else's opinion. Well good for King, that is what he thought, BUT I still like it. A LOT !! Did he list what he thought was good. His idea of good may bring to light something about his opinion.
* The C1 outside of the compressors is a very clean and smoothly styled locomotive. Reading later on when doing the smoothie job on some pacific's, moved the compressors to the deck of the tender. Placing them out of sight. that would have made the C1 perfect.
* The design problem with the lead and trailing trucks didn't caused the demise of the 4 C1s class and their rebuilding into P class locos. The thing that really killed this engine was the competition between the Reading and the PRR on the Atlantic City run. The company with the fastest times got the most passengers and so earned the most money. So they rebuilt the C-1 class, changing it to another P class.
I am surprised and disappointed that after all the Reading had designed and built into this class, that a new style lead and trailing truck wasn't made so there C class design could have continued on even with the state of art cars at the time. They could have run for another 5 years on the AC run. Then another long period of time on small local runs. I feel that with the comming of the Pacific type all the Reading did was just make another Atlantic.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 01 2020 11:21:27 AM

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - December 01 2012 :  11:02:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Mr. King slew a lot of sacred cows in that article toptrain and he specifically noted that his thesis was based solely on appearance, not performance. If you can find a copy of the article it is actually an interesting read, while you may disagree with one of his opinions you may find yourself in agreement with others. As I said before I don't personally think there is a such of a thing as an ugly steam loco. Oh, and before I forget to say this time, I think you modeling work is excellent, I especially like your scratch built cab and back head detail! Nice work on resurrecting an old model!!
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on December 01 2012 11:07:10 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 02 2012 :  09:12:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Mr. King slew a lot of sacred cows in that article toptrain and he specifically noted that his thesis was based solely on appearance, not performance. If you can find a copy of the article it is actually an interesting read, while you may disagree with one of his opinions you may find yourself in agreement with others. As I said before I don't personally think there is a such of a thing as an ugly steam loco. Oh, and before I forget to say this time, I think you modeling work is excellent, I especially like your scratch built cab and back head detail! Nice work on resurrecting an old model!!

Originally posted by Srenchin - December 01 2012 :  11:02:45 PM

Hey Scott ! What you say here is the truth about anything. There are plus's and minus's to everything. Ones opinions are molded by what you like, and pick up here and there, throughout your life. Put it all together and you got you.
Thanks for the comment about the cab. For whatever reason it came out Ok. I have been trying time and time again to make center cabs for the RDG 2-8-0c project I have been on for a long time and getting nowhere. I guess that was just a mistake that came out good.
frank

v-3568

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 19 2013 08:34:05 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 29 2016 :  8:01:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a link to a photo album of the rebuild I have in Flicker. The album no longer exists because I was being cut from a terabyte or 2 of space to 2 or 3 hundred photos and had to deleat a lot of albums. They are gone now and so are the origins in my last computer crash. So many people out there love to destroy other peoples computers. Everytime they do that they make the world smaller. More is lost.
frank

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30431536@N03/albums/72157670320198406/with/28532032552/

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 23 2020 3:45:16 PM

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 30 2016 :  01:05:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Frank, this was quite a treat for me to see this build. I had never seen this before since I believe I joined this group after 2012. That cab build, and all the scratch built things look terrific. I dig those spoked pilot wheels.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Started painting the Great Domes - Finally!!! Topic Next Topic: Repowering Tyco Talgo locomotive?  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000