Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Are those old Athearn rubber band drives good?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Athearn 25th Commerative Set Topic Next Topic: Ernst Gears and Hustlers
Page: of 2

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 03 2015 :  09:17:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

I love this vintage piece. The rubber band drive has a little delayed "sproing"
action which carries it through circuit interuptions. The bands will dry out
and rot if not loosened when not in use, I have found. Here is a short video
clip of it in motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijmQjglqnmg

Originally posted by Chops124 - August 19 2014 :  3:46:59 PM

I know I may sound like an idiot here but, um, how do you loosen up the rubber bands?

Originally posted by kovacste000 - August 19 2014 :  6:04:45 PM

Hey - I'm with Steve!! Nobody answered this....
I have 2 RDCs, and this thread has convinced me to get a couple of Hustlers too!!

..... But if I'm forced to pay more than $10 for one, I may shoot the seller!!! LMAO!!!!!!

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 01 2016 :  2:35:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
By loosening, I mean to disconnect so they are not
under tension.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - January 01 2016 :  4:49:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
quote:
By loosening, I mean to disconnect so they are not
under tension.

Originally posted by Chops124 - January 01 2016 :  2:35:10 PM

This is good general advice for storage of anything with rubber bands. Most bands are made of rubber that is susceptible to drying out or even dry-rotting when taut.

Been interesting to read about these drives. It seems that yes, they are good - if you take good care of them. A rubber band drive working well honestly doesn't surprise me after discovering that some CD drives use a rubber band drive to open and close the tray..

In the case of the RDC, though, I don't think just working well is good enough. I would suggest relocating the drive to the undercarriage if at all possible or else mounting it directly onto one of the trucks. Why do I suggest this, you might ask? To make room inside the thing for seats.

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 01 2016 :  6:14:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Oh, I see. The thing is, I ended up getting a Proto 1000 RDC instead of an Athearn RDC, and so far, I'm impressed with it.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 01 2016 :  6:55:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I DCC'ed an Athearn Hustler band drive switcher, it runs good, but I need to put the weight back in it, it kept derailing on switches on the club layout. I think if you're going to use one, remove the rubber bands when not in use. Since the shell pops off easy enough, it's easy to remove them from the motor shafts and let them flop around until you're ready to use it again, then pull them back over the motor shafts.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - January 01 2016 :  9:32:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
That was slick Jerry. Never would have thought you could DCC one of those things.
Kudos there guy.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 03 2016 :  9:34:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
That was slick Jerry. Never would have thought you could DCC one of those things.
Kudos there guy.

Originally posted by oldtimer52 - January 01 2016 :  9:32:57 PM

Well, actually this is a NWSL dual shaft motor, all I used of the original engine was the chassis and body and weights. I have foam pads under the motor insulating it from the chassis. I haven't tried to put the decoder into the shell yet, but that's coming. I was just testing the proof of concept that a rubber decoder engine would work. It amused my club members to no end. :)

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 16 2016 :  6:41:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I popped on an Athearn rubber band drive Budd.
Thing runs slicker than goose you know what.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 25 2016 :  11:42:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

And here they be. Run sweet.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Athearn 25th Commerative Set Topic Next Topic: Ernst Gears and Hustlers  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000