Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 6 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 American Flyer (Gilbert)
 31031 0-6-0
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Traction Tires Topic Next Topic: American Flyer  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - May 21 2011 :  9:07:50 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I bought a 31030 0-6-0 today for $20 in darn good shape. Been mothballed for 45 yrs! Guy siad he had this as a kid ever since! Motor suprisingly ran. One issue is the front set of drivers are locked up!Any ideas to break it loose?
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 21 2011 :  9:43:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
What do you mean by locked up? ...at the rods...the axle?
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - May 21 2011 :  10:32:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
The driver axle itself. Not the rods or anything else.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 21 2011 :  10:49:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Is the casting warped? If it's just corroded in, I'd hit it with a couple drops of penetrating oil to loosen it up, then buff the axle and bearings with a small brass brush.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - May 21 2011 :  10:53:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Could I use pb blaster and damage anything? The frame is straight and no corrosion.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 21 2011 :  11:13:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:
Could I use pb blaster and damage anything? The frame is straight and no corrosion.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - May 21 2011 :  10:53:37 PM

I'd spray it into a cup then drip it into the bearings, that would keep it from going where it shouldn't.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - May 21 2011 :  11:30:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
What if I use a wheel puller and gently drove out the axle?

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 22 2011 :  12:11:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Is it that tied into the unit? Then you'd bring up quartering issues that could greatly affect how it runs.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 22 2011 :  07:07:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Redneck justin got it right. I had one like that.
* You have two way to do it. Soak in penetrating oil and hope for it to loosen up. Or Remove all connected rods. Pull a wheel off of the axel and tap the axel out.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - May 22 2011 :  4:59:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Whats good oil to use that won't cuase damage to plastic?

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - May 23 2011 :  5:56:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
GRETT NEWS! Theaxle is loose! Wn't believe this, but, I used rubbing alcohol and after soaking it for a few minutes. Then I gently twisted the drivers fwd and rev and WOOLAH!

Acflyer31
Switcher

S-Scale American Flyers

Posted - June 17 2011 :  9:00:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Acflyer31 to Buddylist
i had an engine that had the wheels lockedd like that once. i socked it in WD-40. and gently moved it back an forth like you did and it worked great!
Mike

==================
American Flyers
LGB
Mantua
[www.modelakid.com]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 8  ~  Member Since: November 05 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Traction Tires Topic Next Topic: American Flyer  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000