Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 30 ]  [ Total: 30 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 New Kit Bash... UNION 76 + US-1 Station
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco 55 Piece Scenic City FOUND! Topic Next Topic: Tyco 7 UP plant  

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - May 15 2011 :  1:15:25 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
So I picked up a Union 76 station that was in good structural shape but discolored. No problem... I intended to paint it anyway.

So, I've raised the platform height and have begun merging it into the two-truck / switch track to create a truck stop / gas station. I've added the switch to the side where the billboard usually is and will join them together that way. Thought it would be a neat idea to have a gas station as the switch point for trucks. It looks pretty good thus far... will post photos soon.

So... should I reflag it as an Amoco, Gulf, Exxon, or leave it as a Union 76? I'm thinking Amoco since they are another lost flag.

Really, almost all of the gas stations and truck stops were Amoco, Exxon, Shell, or Gulf back in the 80s in NC.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator 

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - May 15 2011 :  5:54:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Amoco - Miss that logo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - May 15 2011 :  6:08:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
Amoco - Miss that logo

Originally posted by Brianstyco - May 15 2011 :  5:54:51 PM

Me too!

Brian- since you are from Charlotte and I'm originally from Greensboro... so what do you think- Amoco then?

I remember those were all across the Carolinas.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - May 15 2011 :  6:14:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Pieces fitted... first coat of paint for the building.

Couple of things-
- The roof is still in the OE color
- Still need to marry the two pieces
- Haven't decided if I will refinish the concrete before I paint it... sand it smooth (76 station side) to match the other side (US-1 side)
- Considering drilling some small holes for guide pins so that I can park a slot car in front of the building (most likely a black Bandit edition Trans Am!)

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 15 2011 :  8:13:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Don't forget American & Standard Both became Amoco later
How had was it to remove the pumps off? I am looking for a nice 76 double pump one
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - May 15 2011 :  9:55:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
that's looking pretty sweet!
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - May 15 2011 :  10:10:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
Don't forget American & Standard Both became Amoco later
How had was it to remove the pumps off? I am looking for a nice 76 double pump one

Originally posted by microbusss - May 15 2011 :  8:13:00 PM

It was easy. They just kinda crumbled.

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - May 15 2011 :  10:28:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Awesome - The gray is close to Amoco colors - ad some black and blue lines - WHAMO - AMOCO - YES - AMOCO HAD THE CAROLINAS COVERED!! That is all i use to run in my truck - I now run SUNOCO - I get great fuel mileage from their mid grade (89) in my 96 F150 XLT
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 18 2011 :  9:57:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I just found this thread. Another nice start on another one of JohnnyK's impressive creations...
Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:34:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Wow, that looks really good... enough to make one wonder why Tyco didn't pursue this obvious "duh!" accessory. Looking forward to the final product!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - May 22 2011 :  10:18:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

Well... the painting continues. The base (gray) has been sprayed as well as the station (white). Interesting side note- I found a Krylon color that is a ringer for the original blue roof on the station; so that is done as well. I also went ahead and painted the auxiliary shed's roof that same blue. I left the awning for the pump island white- but the trim ring that runs around it is now black, just like the Amoco stations used.
http://anetworktech.com/img/automotive/amoco.jpg

I'm tinkering with decals in PowerPoint. I haven't decided on whether or not to build an oval marque tower. I don't really know where I'd put it on the accessory- but it would be pretty neat though.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 22 2011 :  11:43:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
say if I remember right Amoco got sold off to BP Which is why I started seeing BP stations saying Amoco Fuels
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - June 03 2011 :  9:23:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Thanks guys!!!

So... it is complete (more or less).

I created a custom marque based upon old photos of the torch and globe. I used the pattern of the red, white, and blue colors against a black field and white letters- usually seen in the 80s and 90s before the BP merger.

I still need to finish detailing the pumps I salvaged from the TYCO SCENE kit. Otherwise- here it is...

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 03 2011 :  9:58:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
just SWEET! Awesomesauce! & nice job Well Now I knows who to ask to do up my Texaco station Since I lost all the decals to model
Oh! Maybe you oughta have the interior & the sign light up!

Edited by - microbusss on June 03 2011 10:00:16 PM

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - June 03 2011 :  10:20:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Thanks Ben!

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 04 2011 :  08:34:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
JK - AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! - I LIKE IT .

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 04 2011 :  5:26:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
You definitely have some skills Great job!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 04 2011 :  5:50:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
not into this side of the hobby,but got to give credit,where credit is due,and its due,very nice job,and as dacheez says you have great skills ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - June 04 2011 :  6:46:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
that kit literally fits in so well!
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 04 2011 :  10:13:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
WOW! I think I bought some baseball cards there while my mom was letting the attendant fill up the tank and wash the windshield back in 1983! Or maybe that was the one my aunt stopped at when her Buick overheated...either way, it looks just like I remember gas stations from back then. Great job!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - June 05 2011 :  06:54:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Thanks guys! I appreciate the positive feedback as I've tried to hit the mark on the era, look, and feel of the '80s Amoco stations.

Hopefully, I'll get the chance today to set it up with a couple feet of track, run it, and get some video.

Anyway- I've really enjoyed building custom accessories. Between this, the textile plant, the cement station, and the intermodal terminal- I think I have a good start. Now... onto what's next.
Hmmmm...

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - May 12 2022 :  10:49:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"I created a custom marque based upon old photos of the torch and globe.
I used the pattern of the red white and blue colors against a black field and white letters.
Usually seen in the 80s and 90s before the BP merger.

I still need to finish detailing the pumps I salvaged from the kit. Otherwise here it is."

Originally posted by JohnnyKane

Wonderful work.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5775  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 14 2022 :  10:28:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
now that I think of it
I never have seen this on ANY US 1 Trucking sets!
I only have seen the Mobil station & that is a stand alone model & a rebranding of the common Exxon gas station
Course they are 1 company now
  Previous Topic: Tyco 55 Piece Scenic City FOUND! Topic Next Topic: Tyco 7 UP plant  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000