Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Bachmann Gear Needed
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Swapping Plastic & Metal Bases, Tyco Freight Cars Topic Next Topic: Will KD couplers fit Tyco rolling stock?  

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 05 2007 :  12:15:11 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
I was recently given an older Bachmann F9 for Christmas and it has a cracked gear.
I am in need of a Bman power truck for parts, motor doesn't need to work,just needs to have good gears.
Thank You!

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator 

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 05 2007 :  01:46:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Ah yes, the infamous cracked gears in Kadercakes. Seems that the axles are just a hair too wide for the hole in the gear... and while they offer as nice force/ snug fit at first, over time as the plastic gear ages it gets brittle and cracks outward under the stress. I always see these cracks running straightline from a tooth base to the axle.

Can you post of photo of what you need. I *might* have one in my parts bin, but am not sure. There's all sorts of gears in there and I forgot where they came from [}:)]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - January 05 2007 :  11:19:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
I have fixed some of those, but finding replacement gears is the best way to go, but hard to find.
There are a few different variations in the truck design.
some have the split axle design and some have a solid 1 piece axle.
I did used L/L gears as replacements on one, it wasn't a drop in replacement though.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 05 2007 :  7:40:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Hi Fellas,
I don't have a digital camera so I can't post a photo of the gear I need.
But I can describe it to ya.
The gear needed is the one next to the wheel axle.
Just a solid metal shaft and plastic gear.
The drive wheel axles are solid and not a split axle like Ray described.
Many thanks!

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 06 2007 :  11:53:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Does this have any of the parts you need?

I'd turned this into a dummy truck (axle gears cracked). That's all I've got right now, I'm afraid. I do have some of the other gears you see in there, loose... but they're slightly different versions.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

stevoc
Switcher

Posted - December 29 2017 :  10:14:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add stevoc to Buddylist
Older Lifelike idler gears can be installed in Bachmann diesels but you must bore the axle diameter slightly to accommodate this gear; the plastic used in Lifelike gears appears to be far superior to what was used by Bachmann.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: November 29 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - December 29 2017 :  5:51:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
If you can post pics maybe able to help
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Swapping Plastic & Metal Bases, Tyco Freight Cars Topic Next Topic: Will KD couplers fit Tyco rolling stock?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000