Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Mantua general rebuild
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Prewar or Postwar? Topic Next Topic: Great Deal on  a Mikado!  

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - February 03 2011 :  7:24:41 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
I got this General off ebay!!!
I am now trying to restore it.As you can see it is just about all apart. I will repaint and rebuild the motor.Thanks to Ken (from over there) I now have all the new parts I need on order and by the time I have the paint job done they should be here. I will post some pictures when I finish
Thanks again Ken for your help.
Ken(from the cold country)

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 03 2011 :  7:37:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi ken glad your getting your bits sorted,i got my bits from a good friend over there and its up and running ken

really tempted to paint it but like it as is
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - February 03 2011 :  9:22:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
Hi Ken,
Nice job I hope mine turns out 1/2 as good. I will paint mine but I'm not sure what colour yet. I'm leaning to red and black.
What do you put on the brass to keep it nice and bright?
I got new rods for the hand rails should make it look good.
I'm having fun with this and that's what its all about.
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 04 2011 :  05:19:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi ken,believe it or not this locos brass work,was like it is when i got it,the only exception is the front rails,otherwise original,so i suspect it was stored in a dry place,damp air causes most problems ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 04 2011 :  08:46:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Tyco-Mantua Generals
* These locomotives were made over 50+ years. With Model Power remaking the line and a good following of modelers making occasional purchases keeping the manufacturing going. A steady supply of new locos and parts will stay available. What is missing is copies of original stickers or decals applied to the locomotives. These replacement stickers should be made slightly different so as not to make it easy to forge copies of a particular locomotive. Because collector value seams to match new loco prices this doesn't seem to be a true issue. All I would like to do is make a reasonable copy of say the blue locomotive. I do know for the American Flyer ( A C Gilbert ) Mantua made set, stickers are available. That is only one set. Is there anyone making copies or decals of the USMRR or CofG locos. I could do the USMRR from lettering and line sets. but at 65 be constantly annoyed every time I look at the poor work I have done.
* frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 04 2011 :  08:57:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi frank got a couple of these in the box,i would think with age only good for show ken

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 04 2011 :  09:36:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken ; If it can be scaned and put on thread, others can copy it and possiably use it.
frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 04 2011 :  09:38:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
ok frank will give it a shot ken

Edited by - catfordken on February 04 2011 09:46:55 AM

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 04 2011 :  10:44:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
anyone wants a copy take it or email me and will be happy to send a scan ken

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - February 04 2011 :  8:32:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Guys. Here one of the Generals I have. This is a Early Model...

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )

Edited by - VintageHO on February 04 2011 8:34:35 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 05 2011 :  08:53:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hehe another loco I'll look for at show Engine in Tender eh? Is the newer 4-4-0s Made that way today?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 05 2011 :  09:26:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Hey Buss ; The General, If it is still made, it has the motor in the rear. There are some small motors that can fit in the cab. It would take some work. I am sure someone has done it somewhere. Or at least attempted it. This is a hard loco to put chip in, and may cause its demise.
* You should have little trouble find one. There are thousands out there. Good luck Buss.
frank

toptrain

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 20 2011 :  3:23:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
So I was at a small local train show today not expecting to find anything exciting. And low and behold I stumbled onto a General! The paint is in bad shape and peeling off. I'm really leaning towards just stripping it down like the others in this thread and shining it up. But my God does it run good. I have noting with a old open frame motor that runs as good as this does. I'll get some pictures later on.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 20 2011 :  4:22:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
So I was at a small local train show today .... And low and behold I stumbled onto a General! The paint is in bad shape and peeling off. ... I'll get some pictures later on.

Originally posted by ChrisC - February 20 2011 :  3:23:13 PM

So, was it a steal? Or at least a deal? Good find, anyway. waiting for photos ....

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 20 2011 :  10:16:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
This is my one and only General. I took this guy apart and got it as clean as I could, it was gunked up a bit and just wreaked of petroleum, proabably a WD40 overdose victim. These buggers are solid. It runs well and has good weight for it's size. I was surprised to find that common pittman motor inside the tender, only in a transverse mount. That's the same motor used in the mikados and pacifics.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 21 2011 :  12:38:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
quote:

So, was it a steal? Or at least a deal? Good find, anyway. waiting for photos ....

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - February 20 2011 :  4:22:36 PM

I don't think it was a total steal, but not bad either. $35 bucks for the engine and a Roundhouse beer reefer. Not too shabby for a days work. The paint peeling & chipping doesn't bother me. Mechanically its in good shape and I have no problem painting stuff into something new. Looking over the site I noticed Toptrain has a bunch of these in different colors. So maybe I will paint it I guess we'll see.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 22 2011 :  2:40:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
got a mint general unmade tyco today,paid a little bit to much for my liking,but only 2/3rd of what he really wanted ken

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - February 22 2011 :  6:43:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
How come I find a deal like.
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 22 2011 :  7:04:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi ken theres a scrap one coming up soon will keep you posted for your spares ken

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - February 23 2011 :  12:16:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
Well here I go. I just picked up a General on ebay.Paid too much for it but I need it for parts. I will now be able to finish my project.i can hardly wait until I get it finished it should look cool.
Happy.
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 23 2011 :  12:32:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Finally got a picture of the little bugger. My friend has been scouring ebay looking for a few of his own now he likes mine so much haha.

As you can see its definitely rough around the edges. But it just runs so smooth. Literally you'd think there was a can motor pushing it along.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 23 2011 :  10:26:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
o.o Hey Ken! That the set I saw for $45 at the last train show! IF I sees one again should I buy it??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 23 2011 :  11:47:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i would if you can afford it kits are rarer than the made up ones,and that price is dead on from what i have seen lately ken

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - February 23 2011 :  12:59:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
Hi Guys,
Where did all the Generals come from. I see a lot on ebay these days.
I love the little guys they are great.
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.

mikadoman
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - July 31 2015 :  9:26:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mikadoman to Buddylist
Just got one of these today. My first Mantua! Its painted all black, so someone had to have done that at some point in time. Its an early verson of the General. any veteran owners out there with advice on operation and restoration?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: July 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: August 04 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - August 01 2015 :  10:11:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
This is the one I refinished for my step-grandson for christmas a few years back. This is the original
Mantua version of the model.

The decals are available from Microscale for around $8.00.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Prewar or Postwar? Topic Next Topic: Great Deal on  a Mikado!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000