Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Tyco Old Timers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: ICG  Topic Next Topic: TYCO Santa Fe
Page: of 4

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 15 2013 :  08:49:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My Tyco General done for the CNJ #19 the locomotive "ESSEX".

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on June 15 2013 08:49:46 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - June 15 2013 :  8:19:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Toptrain,
Is that the OEM drive shaft between the tender and loco? If not, what did you use to make one? The one in this pic looks like it's an odd shape.
Sam

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 16 2013 :  03:24:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Sam,
I'm not Frank, BUT, I can answer your question on the drive shaft, its not OEM, BUT to make one you need Model Airplane fuel line, tubing, the small stuff.....

How many loco's you have like the General with the shaft between engine, and tender?

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 17 2013 :  11:00:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
John to Sam,
I'm not Frank, BUT, I can answer your question on the drive shaft, its not OEM, BUT to make one you need Model Airplane fuel line, tubing, the small stuff.....

How many loco's you have like the General with the shaft between engine, and tender?

Originally posted by EM-1 - June 16 2013 :  03:24:06 AM

John : I don't know exactly. I have about 8 tyco generals running, maybe more. 3 or so AHM 4-4-0's, A pair at least of AHM Pocher 2-4-0, 2 Rivarossi 2-8-0s, 2 old brass 4-4-0s.
and 2 or 3 Bachmann 4-4-0. I think that is it.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 17 2013 12:18:35 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - June 17 2013 :  7:33:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
I may have deleted this picture, and I don't know how to get it from an earlier post. If you go here:
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13284
Then scroll down a bit. I have two of these Rivarossi 2-4-0's that have motors in the tenders, but both are missing the drive shaft to the shaft in the loco.

Sam
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RBNicholson
Switcher

Posted - September 20 2013 :  08:14:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RBNicholson to Buddylist
quote:
I may have deleted this picture, and I don't know how to get it from an earlier post. If you go here:
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13284
Then scroll down a bit. I have two of these Rivarossi 2-4-0's that have motors in the tenders, but both are missing the drive shaft to the shaft in the loco.

Sam

Originally posted by newhudson - June 17 2013 :  7:33:48 PM

My wandering keyboard fingers committed me to a J.W.Bowker last June without - you guessed it - no drive shaft. I madeone by threading a pop rivet nail 2-56 , placing it inside a 3/32" brass tube, and turning a 2-56 screw on each end and turning them tight against the brass tube to lock them in place. I had to be careful to get the length right, but it works like a charm. On another note, I did find the drive shaft for a long departed 1960 Mantua General that I would like to find a locomotive for.

I've been trying to rewire a Bachmann Jupitor old time 4-4-0 for all wheel pickup. It's a trial and error operation, but it will work when I get it done, although not exactly a Harold Minkowitz (Iknow I got that wrong) operation. His was successful the first time (I think!)

RBNicholson

RBNicholson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: September 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 20 2013 :  08:37:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Toptrain,
Is that the OEM drive shaft between the tender and loco? If not, what did you use to make one? The one in this pic looks like it's an odd shape.
Sam

Originally posted by newhudson - June 15 2013 :  8:19:38 PM

sam It is just plastic tubing.

frank

toptrain

RBNicholson
Switcher

Posted - September 21 2013 :  10:28:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RBNicholson to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Toptrain,
Sam

Originally posted by newhudson - June 15 2013 :  8:19:38 PM

sam It is just plastic tubing.

frank

Originally posted by toptrain - September 20 2013 :  08:37:22 AM

Incidentally, After I drilled out the drive shaft coupling on the motor end of my Bachmann Jupitor in an unsuccessful "trial and error" move, I restored it by drilling it out for a 1/16" piece of plastic tubing, then drilling that out for a press fit on the motor shaft. I don't remember the drill size, or maybe I didn't drill it at all, but it worked, and I'm able to adjust the socket to fit the drive shaft.

The plastic tubing does sound like a good, if not better, idea though. I have some miniature rubber vaccuum hose that may work, too. I might give it a try.

RBNicholson

RBNicholson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: September 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 06 2013 :  8:27:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
It seems like a fair number of folks modify the shaft; perhaps of necessity due to a missing one, though they seem readily available. I'm wondering now if using the tube style modification, you end up with quieter operation? On that note, I was thinking the other day (though I haven't done a thing about it yet) that maybe if I used a couple fiber washers to mount the motor in the tender of the General, that it would reduce vibration/noise? Either of you ever try any of that or have any comments about the noise business?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 13 2013 :  6:51:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Back to here with 2 more 1860 box car. Both Ontario and Western.

toptrain

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 14 2013 :  8:15:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That's a nice looking box car Frank. Is that a custom paint job?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - December 14 2013 :  8:25:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Barry its definitely a custom paint, but not by TYCO or Mantua......You can see the decals edges on it!
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 26 2014 :  09:47:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Colorful engines. This one a familiar Atlantic by Tyco.
A true classic.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5845  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 26 2014 :  12:09:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Here's all my Tyco/Mantua old timer stuff, which includes a Mantua Dixie Belle in Rio Grande livery and two 1890 coaches and three Tyco/Mantua 1860 coaches.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 26 2014 :  3:36:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Very colorful equipment you have Stephen. TF News thread in Loose Ends would also be a
good place to post them since they are showing old time equipment currently.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5845  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 26 2014 :  10:39:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Very colorful equipment you have Stephen. TF News thread in Loose Ends would also be a
good place to post them since they are showing old time equipment currently.

Originally posted by wks - December 26 2014 :  3:36:22 PM

Thanks.The only issue with that is my current layout doesn't have detail because we don't have the room currently for such a layout (Unless you don't have to post them on a layout) although we have a layout for the train shows which the next one we'll for sure be attending will be in February. I'll try getting pictures of them or some other locos/rolling stock operating on that layout for the "Tyco News" thread at some point.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on December 26 2014 10:42:41 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 13 2015 :  08:10:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Here is a tyco 4-6-0 Rogers I got at the Somerset NJ train show.
A Petticoat junction Hooterville Cannonball locomotive. It is in need of some parts.

** Now here it is mostly repaired and running. Still missing the boiler to pilot bars, and a broken off tender step. Now I have 3 locomotives and only one set of passenger cars.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 13 2015 08:12:30 AM

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 13 2015 :  09:37:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
** Here is a tyco 4-6-0 Rogers I got at the Somerset NJ train show.
A Petticoat junction Hooterville Cannonball locomotive. It is in need of some parts.

** Now here it is mostly repaired and running. Still missing the boiler to pilot bars, and a broken off tender step. Now I have 3 locomotives and only one set of passenger cars.

Originally posted by toptrain - January 13 2015 :  08:10:53 AM

Turned out pretty good, toptrain.Hehe, the name of the railroad on it is actually kinda funny. "Hootersville".

-Steve

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - January 13 2015 :  12:56:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
On the Petticoat Junction locomotives. There seems to have been two different locomotives made for this set. The one most common is the grey. My apologies to kova for using the photo of his loco, but I needed a photo of the loco and tender in the grey livery.

Then there is the photo of the one they used in the catalog

There was a discussion that the one in the catalog photo was the prototype. I just found this in a batch of train stuff I got on eBay. The logo is printed on and not a decal. Looks like Tyco produced two different locos/tenders for this set. If not, then I somehow got the prototype tender.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 09 2015 :  4:06:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Some more photos of Tyco/Mantua equipment.
sunny day with snow hidden under the module.

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - March 09 2015 :  6:14:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
I like the girls in the water tower!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - March 11 2015 :  11:48:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist

My two old timers. I have some old style freight cars I'll have to dig out.
Dave
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

waw47
Hudson

Posted - March 12 2015 :  01:40:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
George

After you posted the picture of the Red C&FW Tender, I started searching
the net and found two more examples of red tenders. So there must have been at least one run of the Hooterville Cannonball Locomotives with red tenders. I stand corrected.

Bill

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/uploaded/vintageho/20101109191507_Petticoat.jpg

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - March 12 2015 :  07:59:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Maybe they did the initial production run with the red tender and then switched later to the all gray livery. Am still looking for the locomotive to go with this. Will then have both of them. Thanks for the update.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 25 2017 :  08:58:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Now I have finally gotten the Mantua Bell of the Eighties. Of course passing up many of them through the years I have proved just how dumb I am. Mine needs repainting and the tender is damaged to where only a very good modeler can repair. I am lucky to have a Akane old time tender. One with much better detail. Now to clean it up and paint it. Maybe change some detail. We'll See.
frank

Bell as I got it.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 25 2017 09:00:15 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 25 2017 :  09:35:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I started this project 3 days ago. Here is where I am today.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 25 2017 09:37:41 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 21 2017 :  08:54:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Now for an almost exact prototype for the Mantua "Bell of the Eighties," the locomotive I have found is Lehigh Valley #84. There is a photo of it at Easton PA in the files of Railfan.net. The odd peaked roofline with a short boiler smoke box. A headlight with a scrolled shelf supports. Matching domes and the same location. Actually, the only difference is the smoke stack is straight with decorative cap ( cap stack). This type of stack is still available, and a easy fix.
* Also CRR of NJ #49 is very close in appearance. It also like the Mantua had the peaked roof
I have a copy of the photo but it isn't mine, so I can't post it.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 21 2017 :  08:56:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Here is my CRR of NJ 4-4-0 with the roomy larger cab.
frank

toptrain

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 08 2020 :  6:34:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

As always gorgeous classics.

Tyco classic.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 14 2020 :  12:26:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Christmas comes to Frankford Shops.

Other members can post their engines and cars as well.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 14 2020 :  6:51:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

As always gorgeous classics.

Tyco classic.
Originally posted by wks - July 08 2020 :  6:34:14 PM

I have this one but lost the coupling between tender & loco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 14 2020 :  6:59:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That early technology is so neat. The blue V&T is a nice varient. Frank's
NYO&W is pretty darn neat. Upstate NY is a beautiful region, even better
back in 1880's.

Question: I sold my Tyco Hospital Coach and Confederate Coach on eBay
for $25, just today. It sold so fast it made my head spin. Was I a Dumb Bass for not asking for more??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 14 2020 :  8:29:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Sounds like you still made some money. I do not think those items are rare.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 14 2020 :  10:06:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
$25 was an extreme deal for those 2 coaches, considering they were only included in Tyco's Blue and Gray Civil War sets, and those sets go anywhere from $200 to $500.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 14 2020 :  10:54:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well I got them for free, but I shoulda known better. They got snapped up
so fast.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 15 2020 :  11:24:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Yeah you probably could've gotten near $30 a piece for those(or even north of that)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic: ICG  Topic Next Topic: TYCO Santa Fe  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000