Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 Dubuque Old Time Reefer
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Orange/Green New Haven FA Topic Next Topic: Switcher Who dunnit? ( Pics done right this time )  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - January 01 2007 :  12:53:17 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
I have no idea who makes this.

Interesting, no brake wheel!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator 

scmich
Little Six

Posted - January 01 2007 :  9:31:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
Looks like a Life-Like I had had when I was a kid. I sold the set a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure that's the exact car with that set.

Scott
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 120  ~  Member Since: October 26 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - January 02 2007 :  11:16:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
I find this same Dubuque 40' Reefer in Life-Like catalogs in the 1970's. It carries the UTRX 4750 reporting marks in the LL cats too.

Don't see it listed with a separate stock number by Life-Like during this time. It's in train sets and shown in the '79 Life-Like catalog as the example pic of the Reefer. Life-Like also did this Reefer in Wilson and Swift according to the '79 catalog.

The "Made in Taiwan" surprises me a bit, but I'm not that knowledgable on Life-Like goodies.

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 02 2007 :  6:03:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Hi Guys,
This is an early Life Like car made from the old Varney tooling.
The late Varney stuff was made in Taiwan.
I have a Varney F7 that was made in Taiwan with a Baltimore address on the box.
Apparently LL used leftover Varney stock in their early days.
Later in the 70's LL changed the cars to truck mounted couplers.
Hoping someone can make sense of what I wrote.[:D]

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - January 02 2007 :  7:16:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
I think I made sense of this. Since the couplers are body mounted this could be considered a Varney or Life-Like.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 02 2007 :  8:05:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Thanks for that info... I was originally going to say life-like as soon as I saw the first photo, but the trucks and couplers threw me.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 27 2007 :  02:43:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Imagine that... body-mount couplers and metal axles from back then! Why they created the Talgo-Trucks, I don't know.
I will agree on the Life-Like identity. I have a SWIFT model, myself. Car model number 1020. White body, white "Swift" letters on red banner, red lettering on car spec's. Black SRLX reporting marks.
I recognize the "Ratchet-bar" brake handle. Some of these models had a small loop on one end of the roof where the brake wheel is press-fitted in.
I also notice on the Bottom shot that the brake cylinder set is missing (or are they still somewhere in the box?) with the 3 partial holes. Sometimes, the "Life-Like" labling was molded between the two center frame beams.
And, I see that they still used the slightly inferior glue that basically melted the body floor. I'd still compliment the "hinge mold details."
What I don't get is, you can now buy Horn-Hook couplers in packs of 50 for $5 - $7... go figure!
John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on January 27 2007 02:45:59 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 29 2021 :  10:34:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I have no idea who makes this.

Interesting there is no brake wheel!

Originally posted by New_York_Central - January 01 2007 :  12:53:17 AM

Brakewheel is a vital part of the car for sure.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5871  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 30 2021 :  08:49:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by wks - January 29 2021 :  10:34:53 PM

There's a kind of hand brake that's set with a ratchet with a lever on it that's hinged to drop down next to the shaft when it's not in use. It appears that the model depicts that kind of brake. I don't know whether it's prototypical for a little wooden refrigerator car, and I really wouldn't want to perch on that little platform on the end of the car and heave on that lever, but that appears to be what the manufacturer had in mind.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 30 2021 :  10:51:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by wks - January 29 2021 :  10:34:53 PM

There's a kind of hand brake that's set with a ratchet with a lever on it that's hinged to drop down next to the shaft when it's not in use. It appears that the model depicts that kind of brake. I don't know whether it's prototypical for a little wooden refrigerator car, and I really wouldn't want to perch on that little platform on the end of the car and heave on that lever, but that appears to be what the manufacturer had in mind.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - January 30 2021 :  08:49:24 AM

plus that was when no air brakes were used then & they had Brakemen running on the roofwalks to stop or slow the train down
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Orange/Green New Haven FA Topic Next Topic: Switcher Who dunnit? ( Pics done right this time )  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000