Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 37 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Windows in my model trains or out?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: How''dya like those Trains; Easy over, scrambled.. Topic Next Topic: Stopping distance- Train at 50 MPH  

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - March 14 2010 :  8:14:33 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Poll Question:
Hey Guys:

Given the choice between having window glazing in your Caboose's and Engines or not what's your preference?

Choices:

I prefer Windows in.
I prefer no windows in.
What's a window?

(Anonymous Vote)

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 14 2010 :  10:30:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I think windows are very nice addition in the trains. Esp windsheilds, that just looks better. But I will bet that I never get that done on my trains...
Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...

Edited by - walt on March 14 2010 10:32:33 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 14 2010 :  10:36:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I agree with Walt. Windows are a nice touch. For something so simple, they add a lot to an engine's/car's appearance.
Edited by - DaCheez on March 14 2010 10:36:34 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - March 14 2010 :  11:44:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
How about windows on one side and no windows on the other?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 15 2010 :  01:27:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
That would work 59Chevy! I know the side windows in trains go up & down, or slide one way or another. That's why I mentioned in the previous post, that I think the windshields are most important. I can't recall ever seeing a train rolling down the rails with no front glass!!

I hope to add windows to all of my Engines and cabeese someday...

Walt

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - March 15 2010 :  07:13:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
Without windshields, the engineers would get bugs in their teeth!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 15 2010 :  3:01:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I like windows, but my HO scale teenagers keep breaking them with the Woodlands Scenics ballast.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - March 20 2010 :  10:17:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Windows, yes--when wanting detail and realism; no when trying to keep something pristine and collectible, which you may someday sell. I also love crew members in my operational locos.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 20 2010 :  10:23:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Great idea Adams, Gotta be someone drivin' these things!!
Walt

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 21 2010 :  08:53:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Only problem with the polling is it's skewed...you don't allow for the option of " I like it sometimes ". While I may PREFER windows, most of mine are original condition. And I won't go to the trouble to install them in the toy variety unless I"m going to layout operate it, which is rare anyway.

Bottom line, I think they look great, definitely GOT to have them on the front for realism, but most of mine stay as they are.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - July 26 2010 :  5:17:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
I agree - I'm going to add some realism to MOST of my stuff but not all of it. I do prefer windows - but will have some that are "down" when I can.
Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 26 2010 :  5:20:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
what does look good is having window that are up or down,broken or dirty ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 26 2010 :  6:46:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
While I may PREFER windows, most of mine are original condition. And I won't go to the trouble to install them in the toy variety unless I"m going to layout operate it, which is rare anyway. Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - March 21 2010 :  08:53:25 AM

Well, I gotta reply to my own quote now. I recently was working on my caboose consist project, and now have about 8 work and regular cabooses with windows in them. The cupola's are a lot of work! Anyway, I DO intend to run them at shows and club functions , and they DO look better than open-windowed tail-draggers, I'll admit.

My company is moving/downsizing in August, and last week I went thru ALL the old drawing/schematic/artwork files,and tossed hundreds of pounds of old obsolete drawings. However, there were many sheets of mylar sheets where the artwork was centered, and 6 to 8 inch borders of clear mylar, useable for houses, passenger cars and cabooses. I have saved about 30 lbs worth, some in 8 x 24 inch sheets, others 24x30 sheets. So I now have a lifetime supply of mylar to add windows to just about anything I own now. Some have yellowed with age, some are a brownish tint, adds more to the realism. some are even foggy. available for sale, postage cost.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - July 26 2010 :  7:57:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Most of the time I don't notice the lack of windows on cabooses, but my Athearn F7's are starting to bug me. There's something not quite right about the complete lack of windshields leading in to a light bulb.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CairnTerrier
Switcher

Posted - August 26 2010 :  7:49:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CairnTerrier to Buddylist
I have to agree with having glass at least for the windshield. If anything it makes the locomotive look a bit more solid up front. Plus, like what was said just above, the glass tends to hide that big light bulb...how many real trains do you see where the engineer and conductor are having a weenie-roast in the cab???
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 67  ~  Member Since: October 30 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 03 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CairnTerrier
Switcher

Posted - August 26 2010 :  7:51:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CairnTerrier to Buddylist
quote:
I have to agree with having glass at least for the windshield. If anything it makes the locomotive look a bit more solid up front. Plus, like what was said just above, the glass tends to hide that big light bulb...how many real trains do you see where the engineer and conductor are toasting marshmallows and roasting weenies over an open fire in the cab???

Originally posted by CairnTerrier - August 26 2010 :  7:49:48 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 67  ~  Member Since: October 30 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 03 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

a6m5zerosen
Little Six

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 06 2010 :  3:09:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add a6m5zerosen to Buddylist
I like to use glass microscope slides for windows-nothing reflects the light like real glass. Works great for flat sided car windows, such as those on an DL-109 or an E-7. My biggest pet peeve as far as windows go? The round "porthole" style windows on F-unit and E-unit diesels-most model locomotives (if they have them at all) usually have the "glass" recessed much too far in-the glass is nearly flush with the window frame...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 103  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 06 2010 :  3:43:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
My biggest pet peeve as far as windows go? The round "porthole" style windows on F-unit and E-unit diesels...usually have the "glass" recessed much too far in-the glass is nearly flush with the window frame...

Originally posted by a6m5zerosen - September 06 2010 :  3:09:39 PM

Unfortunately, there's only two ways to do it - have a custom or molded piece that fits IN the hole to come out near flush ( and many flush windshields or side glass I see are wavy, not smooth), or the cheaper route, put a mylar sheet on the inside of the body...which then makes it recessed. I guess there aren't many portal glass upgrade kits around. Pretty much dealing with the same thing with Cabooses and passenger cars, using Mylar it's usually recessed more than a stock flush window would be. One of the modeling detail drawbacks you run into with such a small scale. Imagine the N scale guy's issues with this! Don't even go there with Z, either.

Jerry in Virginia

a6m5zerosen
Little Six

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 06 2010 :  5:23:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add a6m5zerosen to Buddylist
One method I have used in the past (with varying degress of success) is to put a glass microscope slide behing the hole, then fill the recess with Micro Krystal Clear up to the level of the window frame. Of course, it shrinks as it dries, so you have to do it several times, and I've never gotten it perfectly flat, like the glass behind it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 103  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Jeepman
Little Six

GreatNorthernAvatar

Posted - January 12 2011 :  09:18:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Jeepman to Buddylist
Windshields yes. Side windows no. I want to get the heat out of the engine area. For some reason I always seem to burn up electric motors due to my sense of smell not being too good.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 133  ~  Member Since: January 30 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RAN
Switcher

Posted - January 21 2011 :  10:41:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RAN to Buddylist
I have a Tyco E-7 (City of San Francisco) that I put a Proto 2000 drive and DCC in. It didn't look right cruising around without windows. I've used Elmers white glue in building windows to make panes, but it comes out cloudy. Which is okay in buildings. Anyway Micro Mark sells this stuff called Window Glazing for Models that comes out relatively clear and looks great as windshields for the E7. The stuff is not expensive, until you have to pay the shipping. That's the killer. RAN
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: July 30 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

x2f
Switcher

TycoLogoAvatar-1

Posted - February 02 2011 :  8:43:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add x2f to Buddylist
I have to say I like the look of the Athearn F units without any windows. It may seem cheesey to some but I think it gives a "vintage look". Especially in the wake of the superdetailed RTR product out there now. Plus I remember an old timer saying that not having window glazing allowed the motor to run cooler. I did install the windows in my Athearn passenger cars.
X2F
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 60  ~  Member Since: June 21 2009  ~  Last Visit: November 11 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: How''dya like those Trains; Easy over, scrambled.. Topic Next Topic: Stopping distance- Train at 50 MPH  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000