Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 American Flyer (Gilbert)
 Gilbert Cities Service Tank Car
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 433 dated 1958 Topic Next Topic: American Flyer 5318  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 06 2010 :  6:52:26 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
I know this car was made in 1961. It's model/road number is 33314. My question is was this car also made other years or just 1961. I've seen this tanker command big bucks and I don't have reference pics of the two I've seen sell for so much.

Any info appreciated.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator 

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - February 06 2010 :  7:20:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Todd. According to the Gilbert American Flyer HO Book by Gary Klein. The Cities Service Tank car was Made In 1959. Some sources have it as 1960s. The 33314 Cities Service, 33315 Sohio and 33312 Karo Syrup Tank cars are the most sort after and command a premium price. I do not recall ever seeing the Cities Service. But, I did have a Karo Syrup it was in poor condition it had a broken frame. Carl
Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )

Edited by - VintageHO on February 06 2010 7:24:36 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 06 2010 :  11:58:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Thanks for that info. Are you able to confirm the road number? I'm pretty sure those numbers you're referring to are the model number and I believe they also printed those on the cars for road numbers. Thanks again.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 07 2010 :  01:03:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
I've answered my own question after some good research. It appears that the vast majority of HO scale Flyer items used their model number as the road number. That is the case for this car also.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - February 07 2010 :  10:14:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Todd. If your serious about collecting Gilbert / Flyer HO you should try and get a copy of Gary Klein's Book "Gilbert American Flyer" HO 1938-1963. Also here is a link to another American Flyer HO Site. http://gilbertho.org/home.htm This website that has Gilbert Flyer Index. With a Picture of the 33314 Cities Service Tank.
Let's Hope This one doesn't go away like so many others. Carl

Edited by - VintageHO on February 07 2010 10:15:56 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 07 2010 :  6:50:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Yes, I've visited that site you listed above and it's the only place I've found a picture of the Cities Service tanker. I have pictures of the one I'm trying to acquire privately but they are extremely fuzzy. The seller is being very helpful with information and gave me the following info regarding the printing on the car.

The numbers on the side of he car are: CSOX 314
Center of car reads: CITIES 33314
End of car reads: ARA SPEC 111
Bottom of car reads: Gilbert - P-13 C 937

The first picture is the one I would like to pick up. The second picture is hosted on the Gilbert HO site.

Image of possible purchase

External Image on GilbertHO.org

Immediately you'll notice there is a difference in the shade of Green and if you look closely the fonts (hard to see on my pic) are slightly different. Also, my seller states ARA Spec 111 not ARA 118 as pictured.

EDIT - TEXT REMOVED BY AUTHOR

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 13 2010 :  5:26:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I just bought this tanker and thought it was a Gilbert. The one in the background says Gilbert in big bold letters on the frame and is the same size as the Cities tanker.
The Mobile tanker has the same handrail and ladder as the Cities model in the other post.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 13 2010 :  7:55:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Is the Gilbert Mobile tanker still collectable with 3 of the stirrups missing. I didn't pay much for it.

Who is the maker of this Cities tanker?

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on February 13 2010 9:40:04 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 14 2010 :  1:23:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
My understanding is that the Mobil tanker is by far the easiest to obtain. The Karo, Sohio and Cities Service are the treasures.

An easy way to spot a Gilbert tanker of this variety is to look at the dome. Notice the (relief/overflow pipe?) jutting out from the dome. I'd be interested in knowing what purpose that pipe serves in real life, I see very few models with it and never took the time to figure that one out.

Still looking for opinions as to whether the items pictured above look like they're decaled.

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 14 2010 :  3:29:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
It figures. It's still the only Gilbert piece I have. Thanks for the info.
Alco Fan

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 12 2010 :  10:16:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
This item finally made it's way to Ebay

I say it breaks the $1,000 barrier.

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 12 2010 :  10:33:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Scour the Internet, these here are the best pictures you will find of this gem until someone puts something out there that's better. As a matter of fact these might be the only publicly available pictures of this model.

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 12 2010 :  11:26:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Todd, I think that's just pixelization around the lettering due to compression. I tried enhancing the photo myself, and it's noticeable around the rivets and some other parts as well when you sharpen it. I'm sure AF used tampo printing, since it's faster and cheaper than decals.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 12 2010 :  11:53:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
Todd, I think that's just pixelization around the lettering due to compression. I tried enhancing the photo myself, and it's noticeable around the rivets and some other parts as well when you sharpen it. I'm sure AF used tampo printing, since it's faster and cheaper than decals.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - March 12 2010 :  11:26:14 PM

PM'd you.

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 19 2010 :  7:24:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
It's at $500 and still have days to go before it sells. Wish I snagged it when I first saw it but the pictures weren't good enough to make out any of the details.

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 19 2010 :  7:43:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
the disclaimer hes put on regards its authenticity,is a worrier to me ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 19 2010 :  11:12:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
$500?!!!

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 20 2010 :  08:35:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
in my very humble way i would ask 2 questions,if i really was unsure about it being genuine as the seller seems to indicate,the photos suit that,but if i was 90% sure i would give much better photos to show it off,secondly,why have the box in every shot,that to me makes it look like he wants to reassure the buyer,as if the box is right,item must be,so my question is,is the box right,the fonts for the numbers on end flap,as they would be easy to do if i had a blank box,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 20 2010 :  2:56:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
in my very humble way i would ask 2 questions,if i really was unsure about it being genuine as the seller seems to indicate,the photos suit that,but if i was 90% sure i would give much better photos to show it off,secondly,why have the box in every shot,that to me makes it look like he wants to reassure the buyer,as if the box is right,item must be,so my question is,is the box right,the fonts for the numbers on end flap,as they would be easy to do if i had a blank box,ken

Originally posted by catfordken - March 20 2010 :  08:35:33 AM

Regardless of the sellers possible intents or uncertainty, the market is telling the truth.

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 20 2010 :  3:05:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi i have no interest in item what so ever,just opinions,which i hope will help you decide,will you bid or not,i did have a third opinion but that i shall hold till results pour in ken

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 20 2010 :  3:30:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Interesting that the Lionel 3 dome version with Cities Service on it in 027 was $28 today at an antique mall local to me.

Alco Fan

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 20 2010 :  3:38:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by catfordken - March 20 2010 :  08:35:33 AM

Regardless of the sellers possible intents or uncertainty, the market is telling the truth.

Originally posted by New_York_Central - March 20 2010 :  2:56:39 PM

Sorry this came across as a challenge. I'm just saying I think it's the real deal and whatever the market bears for this item is it's value in dollars. The seller is being careful as she knows nothing about trains and is going by advice from people like us. I've dealt with her a lot on this item, but then again, who am I, she doesn't really know me or anyone who has given her information.

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 22 2010 :  4:39:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
wow $800+ for it,what can i say,hope its gonna be safe in its box via the post,ken
we have an item over here called the hornby dublo rail cleaner,very very rare or is it,they sell for 450/500 pounds here in uk,so far a few have turned up in auctions over the years,at least 40 so far,so unless the buyer in first auction sells to the second auction and so on all the books are wrong,various rumours abound,but no proof,offending object pictured below.ken

Edited by - catfordken on March 22 2010 4:49:47 PM

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - March 22 2010 :  5:07:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Well, The final Tally is in $851.00. I would have armed security guards with it as it was being
delivered I was in it until $350. Carl

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 22 2010 :  5:17:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
trouble with auctions and i want it attitude is you can sell your soul,been there and regretted it,also gave up 2 mins to early and missed a bargain,you cannot all ways win ken

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 23 2010 :  4:35:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I'm stunned at the final bid price. Is this car really valued at that price, or is this just the result of a bidding war? $851 is an awful lot of money for an unusual tampo print.
The Tyco Depot

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 23 2010 :  10:06:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
Is this car really valued at that price?

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - March 23 2010 :  4:35:25 PM

I know of 2 that have gone higher when all that silly money was in the economy 2 or 3 years ago. My estimate came up a little short but $850 is certainly nothing to sneeze at. AF and Lionel collectors spend bucks more freely than I think any other group, put Marklin in there too. If I had every single piece of Tyco and along came a one of a kind or extremely limited piece (AEC for example) how much would I fork out? Of course I would be limited by my funds and $850 is way out of my range, but what if I had unlimited funds? Some people do.

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 24 2010 :  07:20:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
what nyc says is true check these out from uk ken

bad71burb
Little Six

Posted - November 08 2016 :  9:19:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bad71burb to Buddylist
This is an old post but I figured I would help clarify a few things about the Cities Service car pictured below and also the Sohio. As noted, the car pictured below is infact a lighter shade of green and there are slight differences in the font and the 118 number vs. the 111. The car mentioned above and pictured below is a reproduction that I made back in 2001-2003. I purposely built them with these differences so that they wouldn't be confused with the originals, which at that time were selling in excess of $1500. The reproduction cars were also engraved underneath with a number, date and reproduction. The Sohio car is a closer replica to the original but shares similar differences in the font vs. the original and is also engraved.

There is a section over at Gilbertho.org detailing my replica items that I have been working with Dale Smith at updating to document these. http://www.gilbertho.org/imitations-reproductions/gilbert_reproductions.htm

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 159  ~  Member Since: January 18 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 15 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 08 2016 :  9:26:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
still around as Citgo now
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

waw47
Hudson

Posted - November 09 2016 :  09:40:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
The Cities Service car value is holding in the $500 to $900.00 range. The Cities Service cars are more plentiful than the Sohio cars. I have not seen a Sohio car for sale in years.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: 433 dated 1958 Topic Next Topic: American Flyer 5318  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000