Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 My current layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My rental layout Topic Next Topic: Why I''m Building Cat Guards...  

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - October 18 2009 :  9:17:17 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I call this my "current" layout because it's really just a fun setup for me and my daughter. We'll probably move in a couple years, so we'll start over.

This first image is a look down the left side of the layout. The layout is an L-shape, 12 ft. on each long side. You can see there isn't much scenery other than the mountains. In the background is a tunnel.

This next picture shows the other side. Again, not much scenery yet, but there are some structures.

The last shot is a close-up of my "river" on the far left side of the layout. I just left a gap in the benchwork, and tried to round out the sides with foam and plaster. It looks better than in the photo.

That's it so far. The pictures don't tell the whole story, but you get the idea. It's just a fun place to run trains.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator 

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - October 18 2009 :  9:20:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - October 18 2009 :  10:04:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Very nice for operating trains. The backdrop is a nice touch.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - October 18 2009 :  10:21:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Holy crap its the Burlington Northern Trophy train!

Read the 3rd post down you'll get the joke lol
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=2&TOPIC_ID=6135#22161

Nice looking layout! Will look good once you get a little more scenery down. Nice shape too I like the track plan.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - October 18 2009 :  11:08:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
LOL. Actually, that BN train is pretty special to me. The BN is the first train I remember seeing. My aunt lived next to the tracks, and I remember at a young age watching it thunder by. They took the tracks out not long after that, but when I started model railroading the BN was my first focus. I got an Athearn GP50 for Christmas, and started adding boxcars. The TYCOs are actually very recent additions.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 19 2009 :  12:26:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Nice job on that layout so far! I likes what I sees, and that includes the green alligator python lurking about ;) Do keep us posted, will you?

BTW I think I got a comment from you on my site, in the public service announcement about this forum being AWOL about a month ago? Bad timing where I noticed your comment in the queue after I nuked the post when the forum finally came back. There's no way for me to reply directly to those "privately". And never anything I could do to help matters over here. Anyway, don't take it personally!

Glad you finally got aboard here, and WELCOME.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - October 19 2009 :  2:34:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Yeah, GIC, that was me. Your site was the first one I found a link to. No offense taken.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 19 2009 :  4:13:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Nice layout! The mountains and river look really cool. It looks like it's a good size too. Thanks for posting pics!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dorptrains
Big Six

BN loco 1

Posted - October 20 2009 :  9:54:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dorptrains to Buddylist
Love it! How did you make the mountains? I saw you mentioned foam . . . Are they just painted then? They look great.
-Jacob

Quote: "I didn't fail, I just found 1200 materials that won't work"

-Thomas Edison
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 232  ~  Member Since: March 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - October 20 2009 :  11:38:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I have my own method for the mountains. Other methods may be better, but this is what I came up with years ago and it works for me.

I start with 4x8 sheets of plain white styrofoam insulation. A sheet costs about 5 bucks at Menards. I trace out the outline of the mountain, then score and break it to leave a rough edge. After several layers of this, I have the rough shape of a mountain. Then I use a knife to scrape, smooth, or shape things as necessary. The whole thing is held together with toothpicks and those skewers you use for shish kebabs. (did i spell that right? oh well.) There's a lot of crumbly mess involved in getting the right shapes.

After that's all built, I use the cheapest hobby store plaster I can find to cover the whole thing. Just mix it up and smear it on. I use my hands. If you're a neat freak, you'll want to use rubber gloves. The trick is to use your hands and the rough edges of the foam to simulate layers of rock.

Once that's dry, I hit the whole thing with dark brown (or whatever color) spray paint. Then I do a sort-of drybush thing with acrylic paints...the cheap wal-mart apple barrel types. Basically I just layer up the colors until I'm happy. The I add some grass and such to add life to the scene. I haven't done that yet on this layout.

Like I said at first...it's probably not the best method. I've seen better work with that pink styrofoam and other materials, but this is cheap and works for me.

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - October 21 2009 :  06:35:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
AS others have said -- nice layout. Like how your train yard is.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DJdeTrainman
Little Six

NJTransitAvatar

Posted - October 21 2009 :  2:09:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DJdeTrainman to Buddylist
You know, this is EXACTly the kind of layout I want to make in the future. Lots off roomo for trains, lots of continuous running, and just enough detail to sastify all but the biggest nit-pickers. I think it's great! Keep up the good work, man!!!
D.J. (Yeah, I'm "that kid"... Deal.)

http://railroadrandomness.blogspot.com/
Look; a new blog...

Yippee!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 157  ~  Member Since: February 05 2009  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 21 2009 :  2:25:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well I remember BN too As I'm still next to the same tracks but its BNSF now lol Heh Gotta look for locos next Feb at train show but I more want the billboard/ad cars really hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 17 2010 :  12:39:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Here are some updated pictures of my layout. It's still not much to look at, but I just remodeled one end and I'm happy with the results. I added a third loop of track so I can run three trains at once. The pictures are a little bright because of the camera flash, and I'm not finished painting things yet, but here it is:

This is the newest section. The new track is elevated, and runs on trestles over the rest of the layout. Notice the sawmill that I purchased from Brian. It sits right next to an abandoned spur with a rundown depot.

Moving left we see the trestles, bridge, and brewery. Still needs landscaping.

Downtown has really exploded over the last few weeks. Woodlawn Station and United grocer came from Brian, the other new ones came from the garage sale lot last week. The downtown has also become the domain of a 6 year old girl and her box of Micro Machines.

The yard and command center.

The other end of the layout, with the river, some mountains, and a siding. Life-Like's "Whistle Stop" looks good when painted up, and there's a new depot. Still need some landscaping.

Another shot of the new section, this time you can see the coal tower and water tower, and the barn my daughter put there.

So there it is.

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 17 2010 :  06:28:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Great Stuff!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 17 2010 :  9:19:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
It's looking awesome! I especially like the paintjob on the side of your hill.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - June 17 2010 :  9:44:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I agree with Cheez. Thanks for sharing Burlington 77.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 18 2010 :  12:05:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
ok why is there Micro Machines on Main St? Is someone having a R/C race?
looking good there burlington
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 18 2010 :  01:15:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
quote:
ok why is there Micro Machines on Main St? Is someone having a R/C race?
looking good there burlington

Originally posted by microbusss - June 18 2010 :  12:05:58 AM

That's a pretty good explanation! My wife suggested that the shriners were having a parade with their little sand buggys. I'm just happy because it keeps my daughter from moving all the buildings around.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 18 2010 :  09:07:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hehe course the 1960s Batmobile from Hot Wheels is good too We can't all be serious about model railroading True?

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - June 18 2010 :  2:19:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Where the 60s Batmobile is can't be bad at all. Being an auto/mini truck customizer & painter, I believe the old Batmobile is one really neat piece of customizing. I would actualy like to own one for display. To see one in real is a treat...
Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 18 2010 :  4:01:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
quote:
We can't all be serious about model railroading True?

Originally posted by microbusss - June 18 2010 :  09:07:12 AM

That's right. Seriousness keeps kids from enjoying trains.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 18 2010 :  4:47:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Keep those trains running ! A very nice layout lots of things going on. Good use of the space.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

derfberger
Hudson

toby & Dindi

Posted - June 25 2010 :  10:06:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add derfberger to Buddylist
i notice you don't use cork road beds.

Other than cost any reason>? What is the material under your track?

I was thinking to save on buying cork to mount directly to 2 inch styrofoam sheets

fred
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 424  ~  Member Since: June 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - June 25 2010 :  11:03:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
No, look closer--most of it's corked. It's just not ballasted yet because of the time and expense. I only skipped the cork on the new upper level and one end that I added on. You'll get different answers, but I would tell you that you certainly can skip the cork if you have to. I still use nails, but a lot of people use white glue and just glue the track in place. My daughter's 6x4 layout has no cork at all, and it works just fine.

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - June 25 2010 :  11:25:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Fred...you're going to find out that this isn't your typical model train forum...most of us here model on budgets that would make the CEOs of Walther's and Tower Hobbies wet their beds at night.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 26 2010 :  09:40:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Like the pictures B77 - Glad to see the Police station fully equipped and occupied - Looks Great on your layout. Neat layout too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - December 30 2012 :  12:00:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Words can't describe how much I miss this layout. It never quite got to where I wanted it, but it was fun. I love my new house, but I miss the old shed I built that in.

I guess my New Year's resolution is to rebuild. I've decided to take the upstairs room and put in a whole new layout. I just miss it too much. My wife and I have gone back and forth on what to do upstairs, but my daughters are on board, so it looks like a fun year ahead. Worst that can happen is I have to move it in a few years when one of them wants their own room.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 05 2020 :  12:41:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very nice photos. Thank you for posting them with us.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5843  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: My rental layout Topic Next Topic: Why I''m Building Cat Guards...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000