Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 A few pics of my layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My Layout From a Tourist''s View (Video) Topic Next Topic: Leaser Hills RR  

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 24 2009 :  11:16:22 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
In this weeks LotW a couple of you asked to see pics of my layout. It's a double track running the outside of the benchwork with a small oval running around the town. There's still some landscaping and detail work to do, but is it ever done?
I think Kitty Korner speaks for itself.

The mains and 2 sidings

The turntable and round house

The wrong side of the tracks

The good side of town

An amusement park for the towns people

Part of the main lines

Harley Davidson piggyback flat car

Monkeys are taking over Miranda's Bananas

This was a future staging area but this is the evil that lurks beneath the trains
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator 

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - September 24 2009 :  11:27:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
All I can say is FANTASTIC!!!

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 25 2009 :  12:29:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Thanks Mike !!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - September 25 2009 :  03:33:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
Nice Eaglerock! I wish I had somewhere to run my stuff. Looks like that will bring you many hours of enjoyment. What is the Chessie System SD-40 I see in the background. Is that and Athearn dash-2? or a strait 40 series?
A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - September 25 2009 :  07:16:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Love that amusement park, and the monkeys too!

That's gotta be the fuzziest looking "evil" I've ever seen...

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - September 25 2009 :  07:34:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Looks AWESOME- great job!!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 25 2009 :  08:14:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
quote:
Nice Eaglerock! I wish I had somewhere to run my stuff. Looks like that will bring you many hours of enjoyment. What is the Chessie System SD-40 I see in the background. Is that and Athearn dash-2? or a strait 40 series?

Originally posted by ILUVBUDWSR-September 25 2009: 03:33:24 AM

Thanks for the kind words everyone, Iluvbudwsr, the Chessie at the roundhouse is a Broadway Limited Blueline. It's a -2, there is another Chessie SD40 in the middle display case that is an old Athearn blue box.

Tom
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - September 25 2009 :  08:42:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Everytime I look at it I see more stuff Very nice Eaglerock thanks for sharing! I like how you have the different sections (like the good & bad side of the tracks). And to see someone put a FULL amusement park on their home layout is different also, nice touch.

Since your layout has just loops is it setup for DC? What about the turntable is that powered or nay? Ours is basically a spot of park engines that looks nice lol. Your layout is leaning towards how I would eventually like to build mine. Just do two or three loops with DC running the whole thing for the time being.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 25 2009 :  11:58:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hehe I loves Kitty Korner Did you make the decals or did you find them in a adult magazine? Also O.O DVD Player is gonna fall off the TV!! Needs more monkeys I remember one HO figure where the monkey has her top & lady is chasing after monkey bare breasted!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 25 2009 :  1:34:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
quote:
Everytime I look at it I see more stuff Very nice Eaglerock thanks for sharing! I like how you have the different sections (like the good & bad side of the tracks). And to see someone put a FULL amusement park on their home layout is different also, nice touch.

Since your layout has just loops is it setup for DC? What about the turntable is that powered or nay? Ours is basically a spot of park engines that looks nice lol. Your layout is leaning towards how I would eventually like to build mine. Just do two or three loops with DC running the whole thing for the time being.

Originally posted by ChrisC-September 25 2009: 08:42:06 AM

Chris, I'm running an MRC wireless DCC system. I also used MRC stationary decoders to operate the switches on the layout. The stationary decoders saved a lot of wiring. The inner loop around the good side of town was planned for dc so I can run my Tyco's. The turntable is powered, it's a Walthers. It was on the expensive side but it works great.

Microbusss Kitty Korner is a downtown deco kit. It comes with the all the signs for the building. The ladies out fromt and the bikes were figures I found at the LHS.

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - September 25 2009 :  3:31:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Thanks for answering all of that. Again, your layout is already down the road where I would like mine to end up in a few years. I even sorta planned in my head if I did convert everything to DCC I would leave a DC track somewhere (or have some way to toggle the power supplies between DC & DCC). So seeing it on your layout was kinda funny.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 25 2009 :  6:36:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Nice going Tom. The layout is very good. I like the amusement park, And that is a swell engine facility.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 25 2009 :  7:57:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Your layout looks awesome! Lots of stuff going on. I like the weathering you've done on the buildings in "the bad side of town". What did you use for that?

Thanks for posting the pics!

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 25 2009 :  9:55:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Thanks again for the comments guys. Cheez the buildings are from downtown deco. I painted them with box car red, then did a wash using the white paint (dry brushing) on the sides of them. There is raw umber details at the top close to the roofs. In between the red paint and the white I used fine sand paper to scuff the red paint. The kits from downtown deco come with all the signs to mount on the sides and front. The only one I added is the Greyhound sign.
Edited by - eaglerock109 on September 26 2009 6:03:52 PM

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - September 25 2009 :  10:35:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Hey, I just noticed that you have string-power lines as well. Very cool!

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 26 2009 :  3:33:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey, I just noticed that you have string-power lines as well. Very cool!

Originally posted by MM 1498-September 25 2009: 10:35:10 PM

Good eye Matt, it's black thread I picked up at Walmart. I tied/glued one end to the first pole, then strung it along the poles and glued the thread to the last pole. Some of the poles between the first and last needed a small drop of glue to help keep tension on the thread.

I called the cat under the layout evil because he's made a few trips to the top of the layout and broken the thread. He's been banished from the room unless I'm in there too.

Dorptrains
Big Six

BN loco 1

Posted - September 26 2009 :  4:16:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dorptrains to Buddylist
Wow! I love it! Just wondering, in the third picture, is the blue building with the big tan somkestack a Walthers Cornerstone Tri-State Power Authority Kit? It is time to purchase structures for my layout, and that one was on my list. Would you reccommend it?
Thanks,

-Jacob

Quote: "I didn't fail, I just found 1200 materials that won't work"

-Thomas Edison
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 232  ~  Member Since: March 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - September 26 2009 :  4:36:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Nice pics. I hope to expand the STC to a similar size someday, but there's too many other issues competing for $ and time.

I like the amusement park... never have seen any of those actually installed on a layout before. Seems like they're far more intricate than they appear on the boxes and in ads. How much actual construction is required?

The monkeys are great! Nice arrangement of goodies in the cases, too.

Back in the day when I was living at home, we had a cat that used to love prowling the layout. But he was a minor deity compared to my younger siblings who destroyed it on more than one occasion...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 26 2009 :  5:55:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Thanks Tony, the rides vary in ease of construction but there is nothing pre assembled. The majority of the rides are Faller, lots of parts. They can be temper mentle but usually run very well. When I built the rides I'd say it took the better part of a week for each ride. I wasn't moving to quick. The neices and nephews love the amusement park.
My old layout was 12' x 19', since we moved 4 years ago the layout shrunk. The old layout had many Tyco accessories, the operating forklift, culvert pipe unloader, etc. I probably could have layed this out better to incorporate them.
I also have a monorail that was arounf the amusement park on the old layout, still need to get that up and running.
Tom

Edited by - eaglerock109 on September 26 2009 5:56:26 PM

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 26 2009 :  6:08:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
quote:
Wow! I love it! Just wondering, in the third picture, is the blue building with the big tan somkestack a Walthers Cornerstone Tri-State Power Authority Kit? It is time to purchase structures for my layout, and that one was on my list. Would you reccommend it?
Thanks,

Originally posted by Dorptrains-September 26 2009: 4:16:24 PM

Good eye as well. You are correct. I would recommend this kit, it was easy to put together. It does take up a good foot print, about 20"x9". I added a smoke generator in the smoke stack to make it look like it's a working plant.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 26 2009 :  6:21:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
I also have a monorail that was arounf the amusement park on the old layout, still need to get that up and running.

Who makes the monorail? I remember seeing some HO monorails listed on ebay a while back. They looked pretty cool.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 26 2009 :  6:32:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Who makes the monorail? I remember seeing some HO monorails listed on ebay a while back. They looked pretty cool.

Originally posted by DaCheez-September 26 2009: 6:21:08 PM

ER Models is the manufacturer of the monorail. I used to work with a guy that had an in with their rep in north jersey. I think I got it for around $75. I can post a pic of it in it's box if you'd like.
Boy those were the days, we worked 5 miles from Mantua's New Jersey site. It was nice to go pick up parts at lunch and hit the factory sale every November.

Edited by - eaglerock109 on September 26 2009 9:48:14 PM

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 27 2009 :  1:22:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I wouldn't mind seeing some pics How does the power go from the track to the train?

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - September 27 2009 :  3:32:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing some pics How does the power go from the track to the train?

Originally posted by DaCheez-September 27 2009: 1:22:00 PM

Here's the set in the box. it includes the posts to elevate the track.

The track it rides on.

Here's the wire attachment to the underside of the track

Monorail on track.

Here's the underside of the monorail, it has pick up shoes similar to a slot car.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 28 2009 :  6:13:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That's really cool. I bet it adds alot of interest to the layout. I've wanted to incorporate one of those into my layout for a while now. The closest I have though is a Disney Monorail Playset. Nowhere near HO scale, but it does make a fun "around the tree" train at Xmas

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 05 2020 :  3:45:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos. Any updates?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 05 2020 :  3:51:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very impressive spread. Where is it now? Speaking of which,
DaCheez, last photo of your nifty Canadian layout was also
like in 2009, where you at??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - July 05 2020 :  3:54:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
quote:

Nice photos. Any updates?

Originally posted by wks - July 05 2020 :  3:45:22 PM

That layout is now disassembled, divorced and moved 2X. I'm working on another layout now, a bit smaller. Similar double loop, same type of set up with nice town and the wrong side of the tracks. I suppose I'm not to imaginative lol.
I'll post a few pics when I have more finished.
  Previous Topic: My Layout From a Tourist''s View (Video) Topic Next Topic: Leaser Hills RR  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000