Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 Tyco US1 Tractor & Trailer in Vintage Sears Livery
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Largest Tyco set I ever seen... Topic Next Topic: TYCO''s 2 Different Pipe Loader Accessories  

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - August 15 2009 :  9:58:14 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Ok- so I've repainted my Tyco US1 tractor & trailer in a closer shade of the vintage Sears livery from the late 60s to late 70s.

My first attempt used Krylon Ocean Breeze. That shade was close and would have passed as a faded version- but I wasn't happy with it. I also decided to scrap the hybrid Tyco / Athearn trailer shell in favor of an original Tyco trailer.

After studying LOTS of pictures from many sources... I settled on a lacquer from Testors- GM Tropical Turquoise. Wow- it really pops now!

I decided to take down the ribs to smooth out the sides of the US-1 trailer. The ribs were not appropriate for the 70s Sears era trailer. I've been very fortunate that we have a Sears trailer at the Sears near our house to use as my prototype!

Here is the final result-

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator 

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - August 15 2009 :  10:18:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Very nice job on that !

BT
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - August 15 2009 :  10:39:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Excellent work...
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 16 2009 :  10:54:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
awesome now do a Wal-Mart truck
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - August 16 2009 :  7:41:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Terrific!! Looks factory vintage! My first Tyco train set came from Sears.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 16 2009 :  9:40:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
now make me one please?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - August 21 2009 :  09:13:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
quote:
Terrific!! Looks factory vintage! My first Tyco train set came from Sears.

Originally posted by Alco Fan-August 16 2009: 7:41:30 PM

It really does! Great job n the truck Johnny!

I have always loved the US-1. It was such so overlooked. It was one of the top 3 "toys" I had when I was a kid. I liked it so much I bought one NIB several years ago for 35$ off the bay and set it up and it took me back to simple times almost instantly with that one wiff of ozone! And belive it or not the damn crane that loaded the pipe into the dump truck really did work and never missed one pipe in 4 sessions of loading. I was amazed. They really did an outstanding job desighning the US-1 sets. I may break it out when I get my new camera and set it up to get some good video of the whole operation.

A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - August 22 2009 :  08:47:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
...And belive it or not the damn crane that loaded the pipe into the dump truck really did work and never missed one pipe in 4 sessions of loading. I was amazed. They really did an outstanding job desighning the US-1 sets. I may break it out when I get my new camera and set it up to get some good video of the whole operation.

It is amazing how well that little set was really designed.

Almost 30 years later, the toys are still fairly plentiful and in good shape.

FWIW- I've found that soaking the copper pick ups in a mix of salt water and vinegar cleans them pretty good.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - August 22 2009 :  1:53:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Since reading your post I have looked around at Youtube and found this video. I know nothing about these trucks but I had bought some used and sold some long ago with only the yellow green dump left here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYk0vyROWug&feature=related

Is your Sears Tractor Trailer a clone of an original or did they make them too?
Either way this is interesting and you have done a great job.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on August 22 2009 2:16:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - August 22 2009 :  2:27:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
i've never seen these in action, but their pretty cool.
i found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFmyZj11lrw&NR=1

jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - August 22 2009 :  3:23:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
i've never seen these in action, but their pretty cool.
i found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFmyZj11lrw&NR=1

Originally posted by smokie-August 22 2009: 2:27:57 PM

Actually- that video is mine.

You got to see the first version of my Sears truck!

Edited by - JohnnyKane on August 22 2009 3:24:04 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - August 23 2009 :  12:27:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
well that's even cooler! i didn't know they had all that stuff.
jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 23 2009 :  09:39:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
you oughta do a UPS truck in the old version & do a U.S. Mail truck

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - August 23 2009 :  4:43:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
you oughta do a UPS truck in the old version & do a U.S. Mail truck

Originally posted by microbusss-August 23 2009: 09:39:33 AM

Thanks for the compliments!

I've done a UPS truck before.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc96/Johnny-s_Shark/misc/IMG_3512.jpg

I'm working on one of these next (the truck & trailer)-
http://smokeyandthebanditmodels.com/Models.php

All I need is a '79 Trans Am!

Edited by - JohnnyKane on August 23 2009 4:44:46 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - August 23 2009 :  6:35:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Wow!!
Alco Fan

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 23 2009 :  7:52:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yes I knows that one but I meant in the OLD version

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - August 24 2009 :  11:59:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
yes I knows that one but I meant in the OLD version

Originally posted by microbusss-August 23 2009: 7:52:23 PM

I would love to do more trucks... but it seems they are a bit pricey on ebay. I'm okay spending $10 on a trailer and I'd like to find more cabs, but the cabs are pricey. They go for $20-100 depending on the condition. OUCH!

The other fantasy trucks would be like a beer truck, Schneider (orange trucks), and some others that never existed.

I have the decal ready in PPT for the Snowman's trailer (Smokey & Bandit). I am also ready for the truck... just need to find one. That would be a fun clip to make & post on YouTube- just add the song "Eastbound & Down".

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - August 25 2009 :  12:11:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
"Any fool who would paint his truck like this would show up at a minister's funeral dressed in feathers."

I look forward to seeing this one.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - August 26 2009 :  7:34:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I could get interested in this hobby. They seem to run really good judging from the "utube" vids.
Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on August 26 2009 7:35:29 PM

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - August 26 2009 :  11:37:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
All I need is a '79 Trans Am!

Originally posted by JohnnyKane-August 23 2009: 4:43:54 PM

[/quote]

For one xmas my parents got my this HUGE,TYCO HO scale track and it was a smokey and the bandit. It only came with 2 Trans Am's though. One was black and the other was silver. This track easily took up most of the living room and was double decker.

AlcoFan:I could get interested in this hobby. They seem to run really good judging from the "utube" vids.

They really do run VERY well as long as everything is kept clean. The US-1 sets were iconic IMO. Every boys dream is included in these sets. Dump trucks,bulldozers,cranes,trains(road and rail),and tractor trailers. I also had the airport acc. that santa brought me as well. I watch some autions and always noticed that the tow truck with the gargae always draws the most interest. You are really making me want to break my set out and out it up. I got a real steal on mine. The stickers are still on the peal off papers for the road signs. I just need a place to set the bad boy up where my doggy wont go ape the other dark meat over it.

A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 26 2009 :  11:48:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Awesome paint job, Johnny. I would never have guessed it to be a Tyco slot car, but then I was only vaguely aware of the US-1 trucks at the time. I was into AFX.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 25 2021 :  09:48:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
"I have repainted my Tyco US1 tractor & trailer in a closer shade of the vintage Sears livery from the late 60s to late 70s.

My first attempt used Krylon Ocean Breeze. That shade was close and would have passed as a faded version- but I wasn't happy with it. I also decided to scrap the hybrid Tyco / Athearn trailer shell in favor of an original Tyco trailer.

After studying LOTS of pictures from many sources... I settled on a lacquer from Testors- GM Tropical Turquoise. Wow- it really pops now!

I decided to take down the ribs to smooth out the sides of the US-1 trailer. The ribs were not appropriate for the 70s Sears era trailer. I've been very fortunate that we have a Sears trailer at the Sears near our house to use as my prototype!

Here is the final result."

Originally posted by JohnnyKane on August 15 2009 at 9:58 PM.

Nice results John. When Sears was popular.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5871  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Largest Tyco set I ever seen... Topic Next Topic: TYCO''s 2 Different Pipe Loader Accessories  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000