Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 Tyco Road & Rail Crossings / Sets
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: TYCO remote control accessories Topic Next Topic: Tycoscene, anyone? BIN on Ebay...  

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 20 2009 :  10:00:30 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Does anyone on here have a Tyco Road & Rail Set? Pictured is my collection of Tyco Speedways Road & Rail Crossings and the Road & Road Intersections. Last night I won another carded Road & Rail on Ebay. Auction #270345852116 These crossing were a blast on my layout in the 70's

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator 

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - February 20 2009 :  10:47:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
I've actually thought it would be really cool to run trains and slot cars together, but I suppose that'll have to wait until I can find some track like this.

If you don't mind me asking, just how much Tyco stuff did you win on eBay?

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - February 20 2009 :  11:07:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
I had (and still have) a couple of the Aurora RR crossings.
I had at one time both RR and slot car track on the same layout.
Playing chicken with the train was a blast for awhile.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 20 2009 :  11:09:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Matt, A bunch!! I couldn't give you a number or dollar figure. I could comforably say that 85% of all of my Tyco items has been Ebay auctions. I have bought several Tyco train pieces at Train Shows here in Ohio. A few buildings I have bought at Hobby Stores. All of my old slot car track has come from Ebay auctions. Some were large bunches that I sorted thru to get good unbroken pieces...
These Rail crossings and Intersections are a blast! BUT, as a kid back in the 70s we damaged soo many trains & slot cars in high speed collisions! Today, I would hate to crack a step off of a Tyco train!!

MOST people doesn't like this "old style" Tyco slot track because the connecting tabs would break off. The newer Tyco slot car track has RR crossings & intersections too. (again) I had the old style as a kid and favor it today for that reason. FUTURE plans are for a massive 4 lane slot car track with with Tyco trains running in opposite directions. Plans also call for NO damaged slot cars or train items! LOL!

Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 20 2009 :  11:19:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Yes Ray, playing chicken is fun!! Until we talley up how much stuff we tore up!! LOL!

Like I was telling Matt, we sure destroyed a WHOLE BUNCH of slot cars & train pieces years ago... At that time I was a kid, the product was very avalible but I had little money to buy it! Now I have the money but the product is limited and I certainly dont want to damage this old Tyco stuff now... I alway preferred the AFX cars as a kid (and today)because they looked more "streetable" ...the tyco cars were too "race car" looking, to drive thru the city layout I had back then... It's like it was yesterday :)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - February 21 2009 :  2:39:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Wow.... is it even possible to use all of those in a combined operable layout?!? Consider the gauntlet thrown: I demand to see the doubtlessly epic results, with video...
Edited by - GoingInCirclez on February 21 2009 2:51:30 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 21 2009 :  6:35:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Hey Tony! Actualy some are extras due to the breaking connecting tab issue that this old track has. I have the plans drawn to scale using 6 Road & Rail crossings (3 rows of 2 in one spot) on the 4 lane slotcars. That's for two mainline trains & a side rail there.

The Road & Road intersections will be used on the fourlane "two side by side" on the long straightaway in 4 places.. The 4 lane will branch out into two , two lanes, crossing those intersections. Looks good on paper! This will be set up on an 8X12 tabletop layout.

I tried to scan my plan but it won't scan good enough to see.. I have plenty of buildings, light ups, ect, to detail the layout...

Walt

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 12 2009 :  1:46:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I think there is a US-1 Road & Rail set also Isn't there a road adapter so you can use Auroa AND Tyco tracks at the same time?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 12 2009 :  9:59:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Yes microbus, with the old Tyco shown here, there is an adapter that is a 9 inch wiggle that separates in the middle. The ends that meet in the middle have the pins & clip to join the Model Motoring track with the old style Tyco. The US-1, if that is the Tyco Truck sets, does have a 9 inch road & rail crossing also..

What I like about the old style Road & Rails crossings, is they can be doubled up side by side and back to back for a 4 lane set up with several tracks in one spot. This only requires removing the little piece on one side that is there to holds the train track up to the crossing. My drawn plans are 6 of these crossings (3 rows of 2) in a large 4 lane.. the others rail crossings are extra incase a tab breaks..

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 12 2009 :  11:09:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
sweet hmm maybe you should paint the roads to resemble city streets
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 12 2009 :  11:19:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Walt-- very cool. The reason these are not made today as they have been deemed 'POLITICALLY INCORRECT" a term i can not stand!! The politically correct crowd thinks these type of toys along with play guns too promote risky activity by playing with them?? Violent video games and such though seem to be ignored by same--go figure. I had play guns and railcrossings with staged car crashes and i am not out here shooting people or crashing into trains because of toys and scenerio's i created of my childhood. sorry for the rant. Wheni i was younger- i think it was better as we got to be kids and had much better selection of toys in the 70's early 80's! I am with G-i-C--want to see video of your planned rail/slot car action
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 12 2009 :  11:56:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Actually Microbus, Tyco has done the painting for me as far as I am concerned... I think the black track looks like asphalt & the white paint adds the detail. It's funny, but I had bought about a ton of the same track (without) the white painted detail first. Then deceided I liked the white detailed track better! So I auctioned off the plain track & started buying the painted. The straights have the dashed white lines and the curves have a solid white line.

I was told the white painted track was made from 1963 until 1971, Then Tyco stopped the paint detail but used the same track untill 1977. Some painted track (I guess leftover) was found in the after 1971 packaging.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 13 2009 :  12:27:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Brain! You are absolutely right!! In the 70s, I loved trying to beat the trains across the tracks on my Tyco layout! But I easily learned the results of a tie, and never tried it when I got my drivers license...

We survived being born to mothers who drank and/or smoke while pregnant. We were put to sleep in cribs covered in lead based paints. We had no childproof bottles, locks on the cabinets, or helmets when we rode our bikes. We rode in cars that had no seat belts or airbags, bald tires with sometimes bad brakes.. We drank water from a garden hose and not a plastic bottle... We shared that our drinks with all of our friends and none of us died from it. We ate cup cakes, white bread with real butter on it. We loved our greasy bacon too. But we weren't over weight,, , why, because we were outside playing untill the streetlights come on..

We never had such great things as Play Stations, Nintindo's and X boxes..dvd's or 150 channels on cable TV. No computers with chat rooms...we had friends but we went "outside" and found them!

It's amazing how we all survived back then, without the lawyers & government regulating so much in our lives "for our own good"..

unbeLIEvable...

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 13 2009 :  01:52:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Sure we survived, but we didn't come out ok. I mean how else do you explain a whole forum full of people who share a likeness for cheap several year old toy trains? haha
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 13 2009 :  10:53:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
There had to be something in that lead paint!!

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 13 2009 :  11:40:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
quote:
There had to be something in that lead paint!!

Originally posted by walt-March 13 2009: 10:53:59 PM

And the smell of the power torque motors1 l-o-l. Idid a lot of what you mentioned walt as many others on here and i am still here too!! amazing what a few decades can do and technological advances
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 14 2009 :  01:10:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Sad part Brian, I haven't got to smell the aroma of Tyco Trains and slot cars running for years now! Unfortunatly my layout size exceeds room I have at our house...

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 20 2009 :  4:46:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
On ebay, #360137395116 Tyco Trucking Road & Rail crossing.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 20 2009 :  4:53:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I'm in the same boat as you Walt no freakin' room for a layout but someday I'll get a bigger house & have the room

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 20 2009 :  5:10:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Ben, We tried hard to get a house with a basement. But in our search we were finding very expensive rough older fixer uppers that had basements. Finally, we found a modern home in a good area ,recently freshened up for the same money. Though I can do about any remodeling or repairs needed.. we choose to buy the newer home minus basement. It was the smart thing to do. My wife wanted me to take a large bedroom for the layout... but I just couldn't force myself to take the room for such....

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 20 2009 :  9:11:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
nice Walt & if you use the road & rail track pieces Don't forget to put on the RXR signs on the roads

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - May 21 2009 :  07:28:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:
Ben, We tried hard to get a house with a basement. But in our search we were finding very expensive rough older fixer uppers that had basements. Finally, we found a modern home in a good area ,recently freshened up for the same money. Though I can do about any remodeling or repairs needed.. we choose to buy the newer home minus basement. It was the smart thing to do. My wife wanted me to take a large bedroom for the layout... but I just couldn't force myself to take the room for such....

Originally posted by walt-May 20 2009: 5:10:09 PM

Walt- I had the same problem: no basement and couldn't use a bedroom. So I went small and hid my layout in a coffee table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boThdywZ_jY&feature=channel_page

/tyco/forum/uploaded/JohnnyKane/IMG_2302.jpg

Edited by - JohnnyKane on May 21 2009 07:29:50 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 21 2009 :  12:39:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Very nice Johnnykane! My layout plans are for an 8X12. May go 8X16 when the room becomes avalible..

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 21 2009 :  12:54:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
[quote]nice Walt & if you use the road & rail track pieces Don't forget to put on the RXR signs on the roads

Hey Ben! I will use the road & rail crossings and I have a pair of lighted RR crossing light ups to use at the crossing(s). They will be wired to alternate flash like the real thing. Have some LifeLike road signs too, to place a little back from the crossings.... Got it all covered except for limited space!!

DJdeTrainman
Little Six

NJTransitAvatar

Posted - May 21 2009 :  6:49:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DJdeTrainman to Buddylist
WOW, I need some of those crossings, BAD!!! I have a giant Life-Like slotcar set, is that at all similar to Tyco's? Also, I have seen that coffee table layout somewhere on Y-Tube before, great work!!!
D.J. (Yeah, I'm "that kid"... Deal.)

http://railroadrandomness.blogspot.com/
Look; a new blog...

Yippee!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 157  ~  Member Since: February 05 2009  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 21 2009 :  7:05:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
DJ, I'm not certain on the crossings. I would think that there is an adapter from NEWER Tyco to LifeLike. The newer Tyco track has 9 inch road & rail crossings.... If I remeber i will check about adapters ...

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 22 2009 :  1:10:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
DJdetrainman, I took a quick look on ebay for Tyco to life-Like adapters. I didn't see any. I emailed a knowledgable slotcar guy with the question. He should know.. I will let you know what he tells me..

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 25 2009 :  7:10:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
DJdetrainman, I checked with the slotcar guy about the Tyco to Life-Like adapters.

He said it would take two adapters, Tyco to Tomy, then Tomy to LifeLike. Ofcourse same parts in two places on your layout

Sohan24
Switcher

TycoLogoAvatar-1

Posted - June 24 2010 :  7:34:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Sohan24 to Buddylist
Is anyone interested in selling their tyco road 'nd rail crossings? I am currently looking for HO scale slot ccar crossings so i can mix slot cars and railroading together.
~Sohan24
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 34  ~  Member Since: June 24 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 13 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 24 2010 :  9:25:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Is anyone interested in selling their tyco road 'nd rail crossings?

Originally posted by Sohan24 - June 24 2010 :  7:34:28 PM

There was a complete boxed Tyco set called Super Road and Rail just finished on Ebay, I think it sold in the hundreds, it looked great. Way outta my league in price!

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - June 24 2010 :  10:24:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Sohan24, Are you wanting to use the old style Tyco 3 inch crossings like I have pictured, or the newer style track that has the 9 inch crossings. The old style are on ebay occasionaly and of course they come with painted detail or unpainted. The newer style crossings are on ebay all the time, I have not looked but I am sure there is some on auction right now....
Walt

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - June 25 2010 :  7:04:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
JohnnyKane,
A really nice layout and well done. I noticed you posted it in may but I'm just catching up.
Thanks for sharing.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - June 29 2010 :  5:30:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Here's a Road & Rail Set on Ebay.... This seller seems to have these often.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aurora-Tyco-HO-T-Jet-Road-Rail-Train-Slot-Track-Set-/220617071494?pt=Slot_Cars&hash=item335dcd5b86

Walt

Edited by - walt on September 17 2010 12:30:25 AM

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - September 17 2010 :  9:44:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
The current Walthers catalog list this set made by Life Like. I think it was about $150.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 13 2011 :  7:42:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Found this old thread from 2009 where I'm talking about my future 8X12 layout... Funny, but never knew my future held a large nice basement for 8X20!
Edited by - walt on November 21 2014 02:25:41 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 21 2014 :  11:56:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well I still need ONE Road/Rail for my A-Team sets

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 28 2014 :  09:21:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Guys,

I am looking at a quick click intersection/crossroads on e-bay. I am thinking of buying it to use with my US-1.

I am puzzled by the ditch/trough that surrounds the four sides of the centre section. What are they there for?

How smoothly do vehicles pass over these?

I am familiar with the Aurora and Faller ones and even have a LIfe-Like one, but none of them have this ditch feature!

Anyone with any experience of running vehicles over them?

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 28 2014 :  10:19:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
look on YouTube for videos like that
& how it works is The tracks have a slot in the rails so that the pin on the slot cars can go thru
Which if train & car have a tie the car usually loses

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 28 2014 :  12:24:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Thanks for the reply.

I understand the needs for slots to pass, and I have used Faller, Aurora and Minic crossings before, and even posted a clip of our layout, but take a look at the type of crossing I mean:

http://modelmotorist.com/web-content/ty9i2l.jsp

What are the trenches for? I would expect them to seriously jolt or de-rail a passing vehicle. No other make of intersection that I have seen has these!

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - November 28 2014 :  12:39:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
I know exactly ZERO about HO slots, but just looking at the crossing - it seems like there should be something else to it, that would fit into those 'troughs'.
I agree, it looks to be unworkable as it is.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - November 28 2014 :  1:25:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Those are made like that and I'm not sure why... I don't even like the look of the piece...

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 28 2014 :  2:23:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
will look for these at show Sat

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 28 2014 :  11:20:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Guys,

I appreciate the feedback. Agree with all that has been said.

To clarify, nothing is broken or missing on the one shown in the link, as I am looking at a brand new one, sealed in a bubble pack on e-bay uk. Exactly the same!

I just wish I understood why they made them like this!

James

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 24 2015 :  7:55:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Thought I would add this piece of useless knowledge for those visitors that have never seen these crossings used in a group... 6 of Tyco's 3x3 inch crossings connected... In the photo everything looks dingey, I'm not certain why as all the pieces used are in very nice condition...

Edited by - walt on January 24 2015 7:58:37 PM
  Previous Topic: TYCO remote control accessories Topic Next Topic: Tycoscene, anyone? BIN on Ebay...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000