Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Revell Motive Power, Rolling Stock & Accessories
 somebodys nightmare
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Revell Box Car Topic Next Topic: Heinz 57  

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - December 31 2008 :  4:31:07 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist

Right from my workbench you can take a look what you can do with a revell kit "BIG BOY"

ready to climb sherman hill - erich
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator 

B 67
Switcher

QR

Posted - January 04 2009 :  05:41:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add B 67 to Buddylist
Looks nice. I've had one of these for nearly 20 years. Mine came in a Monogram box and curiously, has Baltimore & Ohio decals and even a B&O logo moulded on the front. But it's unmistakably a Big Boy, despite these inaccuracies.

Mine has spent most of its days in a small display box, although originally it sat on my shop's test track until I got tired of people wanting to see it run and having to move it whenever the test track was needed for models that could actually run (these snap-together kits are all plastic, including the wheels). Not to mention I also got tired of trying to re-rail it each time. :)

I used to sell the Monogram models in my shop - or rather, I tried. They didn't sell well until I assembled one to show customers how good they can be made to look. Suddenly I had no trouble selling them.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 69  ~  Member Since: April 21 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - January 04 2009 :  3:36:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Nice work, interestingly, Bowser sells a kit to add pickups and metal wheelsets to the tender.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - January 08 2009 :  01:09:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
Hi B 67, Hi shaygetz

rerailing of that thing takes a little passion (if you rerail the loco, tender goes out of track). Nice to have an Australian there!

I woundered that Bowser sells his BIG BOY without tender. now i know the reason why. i hope there come some aditionel detailing parts like markerlights in the Bowser wheelset.

many greetings from Austria - Erich
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 12 2009 :  11:33:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
now do it EXACTALLY like the 4004 in Cheyenne! with signs & loco fenced in & everything!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 13 2009 :  5:14:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
there is another Revell HO train model like that Big Boy but its a smaller loco I forget the name & wheel arrangement
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - March 13 2009 :  5:25:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist

Hi Ben!

Shure you mean that! do you build one?

many greetings - Erich
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 13 2009 :  6:39:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hmm might ne it will hafta locate my model i got

martin67
Big Six

Posted - March 14 2009 :  02:57:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add martin67 to Buddylist
Hi Erich,

I like the green Ford semitrailer (Matchbox), reminds me of my childhood... The train is nice as well!

Cheers from not so far away,

Martin

http://mmiwakoh.de/Eigene%20Webs/lima-modellbahn/index.htm
 Country: Germany  ~  Posts: 222  ~  Member Since: May 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 14 2009 :  07:05:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Hi Martin, You pointed out the something I missed in that photo! The old Matchbox truck! Did you see the photo I listed under; New Matchbox Heavy Trucks? If you get time take a look...

I like the green Ford semitrailer (Matchbox), reminds me of my childhood... The train is nice as well!

Cheers from not so far away,

Martin

Originally posted by martin67-March 14 2009: 02:57:31 AM

[/quote]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 14 2009 :  7:36:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
next time I'm in Cheyenne Wyoming I'll take a few pics of the REAL 4004 Big Boy loco I believe there's a G scale Big Boy loco or its #1 Gauge

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 20 2009 :  2:18:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
ok I found it except its by Con-Cor did put it together lost decals & track it went on

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - March 20 2009 :  5:21:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
quote:
ok I found it except its by Con-Cor did put it together lost decals & track it went on
/tyco/forum/uploaded/microbusss/plastic loco.jpg

Originally posted by microbusss-March 20 2009: 2:18:55 PM

Hi Ben!

its also a Hudson like mine!
here you can get decals:http://www.microscale.com/
dont mind, use every track - Erich

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 20 2009 :  8:17:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cool but I SUCK at detailing painting & stuff

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 21 2009 :  6:24:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
worlds biggest model loco g scale big boy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SolVdQnPrJo

mth`s 1 gauge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl22e1yQ7ZQ&feature=related

Edited by - catfordken on August 21 2009 6:27:08 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 21 2009 :  5:47:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Interesting story here:

A few years back, a vacuum cleaner shop near my house started selling toys on the side to make a little bit of extra cash. I glanced in one day, and didn't think much of what I saw. It was a real TOY shop, stuff meant for toddlers and little children.
Fast forward to last Wednesday, when our old vacuum broke again. Time to get a new one, my father decided. So, we try this place out first, and while he is talking with the shop keeper, I glance over at the toy section.
And wouldn't you know it...there was a makeshift hobby shop only 10 minutes away all this time. Model kits, paints, all the tools and brushes you could dream of, and I had no idea it was there!
Compare that 10 minute drive to the 2 hour one it takes to get to Halifax. Man am I glad our vacuum broke!

So what does this have to do with Revell's Big Boy kit? Well I've been looking for one since I saw this post Erich made, and they had one in stock at the vacuum shop! I bought it, and am in the process of assembling it.
It's a fairly simple kit, but it's a great base for a nicely detailed, static display.

I'll share some pictures of mine once it is done. I dunno if it will be quite as nice as yours though, Erich!

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 21 2009 :  7:23:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
ok ok Here is the 4004 in Cheyenne

& one of me in front of it wearing a GN shirt but you really can't tell

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - November 22 2009 :  11:24:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
Hi Micro !

Nice pic, I know it was hard for you to leaf the loco in place and not take it home!

- Erich

Edited by - Erich on November 22 2009 11:28:29 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 22 2009 :  11:31:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Nice pic, I know it was hard for you to leaf the loco in place and not take it home!

hehe naah I'll find one in #4004 someday hopefully cheap & in HO

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - November 22 2009 :  11:34:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
Hi Matt!

Im shure you will do a good job! The first thing I did was to give the loco
a flat black coat. I used cheap Airosol one from a carparts shop! - Erich

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 22 2009 :  1:34:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
quote:
Hi Matt!

Im shure you will do a good job! The first thing I did was to give the loco
a flat black coat. I used cheap Airosol one from a carparts shop! - Erich

Originally posted by Erich-November 22 2009: 11:34:48 AM

I hope so!

I started out by spraying EVERYTHING with an aerosol can of Testor's Flat Black. I thought I had a can of Floquil Grimy Black lying around somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
Today I finished the tender; it has a coat of Dullcote on it for the decals. I plan on adding weathering effects later, after I finish the rest of the loco.

The kit comes with decals for Big Boy #4006 or #4032. I was going to number mine #4032 to compare with yours Erich, but I ruined one of the decals and had to go with #4006. Oh well.

Also, I had a surprising amount of fun painting the boiler head. Do not ask me why, I guess painting little dials and knobs is my thing.
I'm quite happy with it, even though I messed up the paint a few times!

- Matt -

Edited by - MM 1498 on November 22 2009 1:37:00 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - November 22 2009 :  1:45:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
Matt:

Are your decals well sized? Mine were to big for cab and shield on the front.

Nice job and pics, cool details!

- Erich

Edited by - Erich on November 22 2009 1:54:30 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 22 2009 :  1:51:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
heh I'd be willing to give up my model as I can't detail nothing

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 22 2009 :  2:41:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
quote:
Matt:

Are your decals well sized? Mine were to big for cab and shield on the front.

Nice job and pics, cool details!

- Erich

Originally posted by Erich-November 22 2009: 1:45:45 PM

Well, I haven't put the decals on the cab yet, but the size of the number on the back of the tender is way too big when you compare it to the prototype.

- Matt -

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - December 01 2009 :  6:50:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
The Big Boy is coming along. I'm trying not to rush myself of course, slow and steady wins the race when it comes to building a model kit.

Here's where I'm at now. My only regret is painting the grey areas with a brush, as I do not own an airbrush. Maybe that will change after Christmas?
I will be adding some Dullcote and some weathering later.

The cab is still one of my favourite parts.

You were right Erich, the decals for this kit are too large.
The little UP herald they give you for the front of the loco was way too big for the piece you are supposed to apply it to. It wouldn't even stick; I'll have to paint it in.

- Matt -

graftonterminalrr
Little Six

Calvin

Posted - December 02 2009 :  11:18:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add graftonterminalrr to Buddylist
For the longest time, you could get a 4-6-6-4 Challenger kit from Bowser - but oddly, they made no tender for it, and the loco was VERY sparse on detail.

Then I found out - you were supposed to have one of the Revell Big Boy kits on hand.

The tender would be finished, modified with metal wheels and a Kadee coupler, and the drawbar would fit the Bowser loco. As well, you could use most of the Big Boy kit details on the Challenger.

I suppose, if you were to get your hands on an old Rivarossi Big Boy, you could do the same thing.

As for decals, just get a set of Microscale decals and be done with it. The Revell decals aren't really that great to start with.

Kris Carver-Seaboyer

Modelling the Grafton Terminal Railway, set in New Brunswick, Canada in the 1978-1984 time frame
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 28 2009  ~  Last Visit: February 25 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - December 02 2009 :  2:36:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
Hi Matt!

I also painted the gray parts with a brush, masking was to much work for me, but I am pleased with the result. If you think of weathering, brushing does not matter.

I made a new board for the front sign, put on the decal and cut away the surplus and glued it over the original.

I was thinking about to add front and headlight, maybe you will do this now. Would be interessting how you do it and how the loco looks with it.

What kind of green do you use inside the cab?

After all: Nice work! - Erich

Edited by - Erich on December 02 2009 2:45:24 PM

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - December 02 2009 :  2:53:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
Hi Graftonterminalrr!

I think Bowser made a underframe with wheels for the Revell tender.

A superdetailkit and tender was available later.

http://modelrailroader.net/holoco_upbb.php

So sad this time is over now! - Erich

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - December 02 2009 :  10:03:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Graftonterminal - As much as I'd love to have some Microscale decals for this kit, I'm not interested in it enough to venture out to Halifax and spend even more money. Besides, that would be too easy. I feel like a bit of a challenge!

Erich - I used this photo as a reference. My model has a lot more green than the real thing, but maybe some fake coal dust and grime will help later on.

The green I used is Testors Flat Green, #1164.

- Matt -

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 03 2009 :  01:23:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Holy Crap! And here I thought the abandoned distillery I explored had a ton of random valves concentrated in one place...

*headasplode*

Looking pretty dang good there Matt. Nice detailing on the cab interior too.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - December 28 2009 :  12:57:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
The Big Boy had to go away in his box for a while...work will continue when I get bored with my Christmas presents!

Mr. Claus gave me a Badger airbrush this year, so weathering this kit should be a snap. Well, after a few practice sessions of course.

- Matt -

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 28 2009 :  2:45:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
Holy Crap! And here I thought the abandoned distillery I explored had a ton of random valves concentrated in one place...

*headasplode*

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez-December 03 2009: 01:23:29 AM

Yep, and nothing's labeled either. Those guys had to know what they were doing. The term "engineer" was more apt with steam locomotives.

Can't wait to see what the airbrush does for it, Matt. Nice job.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on December 28 2009 5:34:19 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - December 30 2009 :  4:43:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist

Bigboy was king of the rails. Sorry German speech too. - Erich

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 14 2013 :  12:11:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nice work on the Big Boys guys! Those are some nicely done "static" models......I have used boiler shell parts to repair old AHM Big Boys and have a few "parts" from one of the Revell kits left over.......

I'D LOVE to find a tender to the Revell 4-6-4.....JUST THE SHELL, nothing more!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - June 14 2013 :  11:55:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
EM-1
Do not know your exact need, but there is another option for a Hudson tender. That would be an AHM Hudson tender.

This one is high!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ho-Train-AHM-Rivarossi-NY-Central-Hudson-Tender-NOS-/250915335470?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3a6bb82d2e

I have seen pictures of NYC Hudsons with a shorter version of the Niagara tender found on the Bachmann model. Maybe a kit bash? I think I have one without wheels in my Junk Box.

/tyco/forum/uploaded/JRG1951/20130614115132_Tender.jpg

Regards, John ***************************************************************

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. <> Mitch Ratcliffe

Edited by - JRG1951 on June 14 2013 12:02:20 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 14 2013 :  2:32:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
John,
WELL, the need is to use it to make the long haul tender for the "Chessie Steam Special" That has a rather large coal bunker, BUT needs to have that same tender, lengthened to 52 feet! As I'm custom building the entire Chessie Steam Special train, I got the 4-8-4 built, almost finished but I have to custom make the AUX tender that went behind it, and then I have the whole train as well!

See:

What might you want for the shell if you have it to spare? PM me concerning it!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 14 2013 :  3:07:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
interesting tender Didn't know it had a extra tender
My friend needs the tender for his Bicentennial loco that was used on the eastern rails instead of SP 4449

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 14 2013 :  6:33:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
interesting tender Didn't know it had a extra tender
My friend needs the tender for his Bicentennial loco that was used on the eastern rails instead of SP 4449

Originally posted by microbusss - June 14 2013 :  3:07:12 PM

Ben,
Which tender are you talking about? I MAY have one! Let me know! And I'll see what I have!

~John

Previous Topic: Revell Box Car Topic Next Topic: Heinz 57  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000