Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 My Flat and Cat Project...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A few new items for stoney creek... Topic Next Topic: Tabor and Waldo RR Doodlebug M1  

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 20 2006 :  11:10:53 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
I'll post pics as I go along with this project...

The flat is an old Walthers 53'6" General Steel Commonwealth Flat Car decorated for WABASH. As you can see in this image, I've sliced off the cast-on grab irons on the ends and above each step. Also removed the steps.

I bought Details West Grab Iron Brackets 22"-wide (#6209) and Tichy Train Group Stirrup Steps Straight Side Mount (#3038) and will be adding them to the Flat Car.

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator 

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 20 2006 :  11:37:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
I got the idea for my project from a June 2005 Model Railroader magazine article. The article is Chains, Chocks, and Shackles: Realistic Loads for Your Flatcars and Gondolas by Jim Hediger.

Here's the model from that article that I'm using as my suggestion...

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 20 2006 :  11:42:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
This weekend I picked up the A-Line brass chain (#29220); Midwest Micro-Cut Scale Lumber (#8002 and #8024), plus some brass wire from Detail Associates (#2503) to make loops to hold the A-Line chains. I hope to put together a very well detailed Flat with Cat.
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - November 20 2006 :  3:10:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Tony,

What roadname did you intend to use? Life-Like makes a nice grader that is an earlier design if you go with an earlier road like the Wabash. Who made the grader you have?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 21 2006 :  10:53:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
quote:
Tony,

What roadname did you intend to use? Life-Like makes a nice grader that is an earlier design if you go with an earlier road like the Wabash. Who made the grader you have?

Originally posted by Hypoponera - November 20 2006 :  2:10:15 PM

I wondered if anybody would call me on using a WABASH Flat Car with a new Cat Grader, as the Wabash merged into the N&W back in '64. Okay, yeah it isn't correct.

Here is my other Flat Car getting worked on right now, again with the Cat Grader...

Problem there is the Model Power Flat is from the MetalTrain line and certainly needs no extra help in the weight department. Had planned on putting a pair of Boley HO-scale military vehicles or tanks on this Model Power metal Flat Car.

The Wabash flat is light and needs something heavy. I know it isn't correct, but then I also did a custom painted Wabash Athearn GP50 some year back, so I guess I'm covered. [}:)]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 21 2006 :  10:56:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist

There's my custom painted Wabash GP50 sitting with the new Athearn GP40X in Santa Fe and an Atlas Rio Grande GP40. The Wabash GP50 was done in the late '80s or early '90s.

Did this pic a week or so ago, when someone asked about spotting differences between these models over on the Atlas Forum. You know we TYCO guys gotta help those poor Rivet Counters on the Atlas site from time to time. [:D]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - November 21 2006 :  2:10:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
I have an old AHM HO scale plastic model of a US Army M40 self propeled gun. If you can find some others, they would certainly be light enough for use on the Model Power flat car.
But, like you said, if the Wabash GP50 is doing the pulling, then era problems with the Cat are out the window!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

black and blue
Switcher

icg

Posted - December 06 2006 :  4:16:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add black and blue to Buddylist
That's a very cool idea, Tony where did you find the chain and scale lumber??
Taking life one day at a time!! Life's short, Enjoy it while you can!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: December 27 2005  ~  Last Visit: October 12 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - December 06 2006 :  4:19:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
quote:
That's a very cool idea, Tony where did you find the chain and scale lumber??

Originally posted by black and blue - December 06 2006 :  3:16:48 PM

Both the chain and scale lumber should be found at any well-stocked hobby shop. My local shop had both items on hand in various sizes. Neither are more than a few bucks each. I need to get cranking on this project again soon.

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

black and blue
Switcher

icg

Posted - December 06 2006 :  4:27:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add black and blue to Buddylist
Cool thanks Tony, how do you use the measurements for the blocks like in the picture?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 9  ~  Member Since: December 27 2005  ~  Last Visit: October 12 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 06 2006 :  4:29:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi tony do i take it you are using your new camera for these great photos ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 09 2006 :  8:13:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Can't wait to see this when it's done! Looks like a good start up there.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - December 11 2006 :  3:27:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Got one of my Flat Cars with Loads done today.

Decided against the Wabash Flat Car for the Cat and went with a Santa Fe. The Flat Car is the lowest of low Bachmann standard line, non-Silver Series, that I picked up recently for $5.99.

Is it legal to put a die-cast $20 Norscot Cat on top of a $5 Bachmann Flat Car???

Anyway, I cut the wood strips and made the blocks for the wheels. That's A-Line's brass chain holding the front and rear of the Cat. The Cat is glued in place with CA cement. In fact, all the detail work is done with CA. The Cat is clean and new, but the Flat Car got a weathering with those weather chalks. The Flat Car required a spray of flat finish before the chalks would stick to it.

The plastic friction-style wheels supplied with the Flat have been swapped out with Bachmann Silver Series roller bearings. And Kadee Whisker scale knuckles are in place of the Bachmann EZ-Mate knuckles.

The Bachmann Flat Car was fairly light, so the heavy die-cast Norscot Cat was a good match.

[:)]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 11 2006 :  3:52:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
nice one Tony proud to know you,Ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - December 13 2006 :  10:20:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
VERY NICE, Mr. Cook!
Nice mods and details.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 14 2006 :  01:27:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Great work! I really like the effect the wheel chocks have. Chain looks good too... I might have to try that.

So what made you decide against the other two flats? I really liked the deck on the Walthers car myself. But you did a nice job on that Bachmann deck, so no complaints [^]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - December 15 2006 :  01:49:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
Man after hurricane Katrina I got transfered to the Dothan sub and ran on the old SCL ( CSX ) from Dothan to Thomasville GA for a year and we had a steady stream of brand new CATS come through that were always high dollar shipments and usually were required to ride behind the engines with a buffer car...Well one day a crew tied up on the line of road and they had 2 BRAND NEW CAT 988 front end loaders and some kids rocked the living hell out of them....the good part was the cops showed up while they were still rocking the loaders..their parents tore thier asses up on the spot and needless to say they wont be getting any allowence till they leave home im sure ! I just cant belive I never got pics of the loads.....I hauled 2 new D-11 high-tracks a few months ago on the gulf coast and that was the first time i`ve seen them around here but ill try and get pics next time!
A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 15 2006 :  02:25:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Man that sucks... I mean kids will be kids and I was no angel, but dang - I never understood the plain wanton vandalism.

Reminds me of a pic in the book Chessie System Cumberland Action that shows an open autorack full of good 'ol '75 Ford County Squire battletanks... and the first car on top is just CRUSHED. [V] By what, who the heck knows... couldn't have been anything less than an anvil from 100 feet!

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - December 15 2006 :  07:42:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
quote:
Great work! I really like the effect the wheel chocks have. Chain looks good too... I might have to try that.

So what made you decide against the other two flats? I really liked the deck on the Walthers car myself. But you did a nice job on that Bachmann deck, so no complaints [^]

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - December 14 2006 :  12:27:32 AM

The Walthers Wabash car with the great looking deck is a terrible running car. Once I get a pair of trucks under it that'll keep it rolling better than I might do more with it. Had hoped the weight of the Norscot Cat would improve the Walthers' Flats performance...but it didn't.

Nixed the Model Power MetalTrain Flat as it is already heavy and didn't need the added weight of the Norscot die-cast Cat. Plan to put a couple light plastic Boley military vehicles on the MetalTrain Flat in the future.

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - December 15 2006 :  07:43:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
quote:
I never got pics of the loads.....I hauled 2 new D-11 high-tracks a few months ago on the gulf coast and that was the first time i`ve seen them around here but ill try and get pics next time!

Originally posted by ILUVBUDWSR - December 15 2006 :  12:49:16 AM

Bud Man, would love pics of these kinda flat car loads if you ever get the chance. [:)]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 18 2006 :  5:43:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Did you know WalMart is selling Norscot Cats now? $6/ea. [:0] I'm not sure if they are the same quality / fully diecast as the other line, but the detail looks pretty good. I picked up a couple of "square cab" items to try to sneak in; I'll have to compare them when I finally open 'em up.

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - December 19 2006 :  10:58:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
I'd like to see comparison of the Norscot vehicles. My understanding is the Wal-Mart examples may be more limited in movement and/or detail. Somebody recently posted some info on them over on the Atlas Forum.

In addition to Wal-Mart, believe the Atlas poster said his came from K-mart.

Eager to see some pics.

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

black and blue
Switcher

icg

Posted - January 06 2007 :  01:25:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add black and blue to Buddylist
I picked up the Norscot Wal-Mart version of the Cat grader, looks almost the same as your version but with some differences, the blade is plastic, it rotates but does not raise, the front axle is plastic and does not pivot, no stack or air breather just two black bumps, and the ripper is plastic and non moveable. I looked at the other models they had like the dozer, plastic non moving tracks and the blade does not raise, just angles. So there is quite a bit of difference between Wal-Mart, Kmart, and Straight from Norscot models.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 08 2022 :  2:57:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"Got one of my Flat Cars with Loads done today.

Decided against the Wabash Flat Car for the Cat and went with a Santa Fe.
The Flat Car is the lowest of low Bachmann standard line, non-Silver Series that I picked up recently for $6.

Is it legal to put a die-cast $20 Norscot Cat on top of a $5 Bachmann Flat Car?

Anyway, I cut the wood strips and made the blocks for the wheels. That's A-Line's brass chain holding the front and rear of the Cat.
The Cat is glued in place with CA cement. In fact, all the detail work is done with CA.
The Cat is clean and new, but the Flat Car got a weathering with those weather chalks.
The Flat Car required a spray of flat finish before the chalks would stick to it.

The plastic friction-style wheels supplied with the Flat have been swapped out with Bachmann Silver Series roller bearings.
And Kadee Whisker scale knuckles are in place of the Bachmann EZ-Mate knuckles.

The Bachmann Flat Car was fairly light, so the heavy die-cast Norscot Cat was a good match."

Originally posted by Tony Cook on December 11 2006.

That is a great idea and looks fine on any layout.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: A few new items for stoney creek... Topic Next Topic: Tabor and Waldo RR Doodlebug M1  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000