Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Watz go'n on! still going ! "My Workbench"
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Santa Fe Tyco Operating Box  cars Topic Next Topic: Portland style box motor kitbash
Page: of 10

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 23 2016 :  09:55:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
stripped and ready for the drive mechanism to be added,had to get a friend to strip the drive assembly,as previous owner had rounded the heads on a few bits,he has better eyes than me,ken

with her sister the 2nd version

another difference i have noticed is that the 2nd version onwards has the newer handrail fixings,ie you still get the posts,but no need for the spacers
lastly one that was sold as a mantua but is most certainly a tyco,different in respect of construction

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around

Edited by - catfordken on October 24 2016 09:01:16 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 08 2017 :  09:37:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Ken watching you with your work on the all metal Mikes defiantly opens my eyes.
** "I Like it ! ! ! " , Very good locos. Best part is some of them are almost as old as we are.

* Now to my work bench and What is happen'in their .

* The Marx 0-4-0t I got yesterday went on the bench for its check up, and wound up getting the full service, and part replacement job done to it. Heck I even cleaned up to dirt and grime from 60 years of loving use by it previous owners.
I took it apart and did the clean and lube. A test bench run of the motor prior to putting it back together. I found out I got a good one. I put it all back together, even replacing the missing front coupler, and started to make new main rods to place on it, for the original's were missing. I had a pair of long ones from a Marx 999 0-4-0 battery powered train set loco that was a Junker. Clipped them a little shorter, rounded the edges, found some screws and Walla ! A steamer from 1960 was ready to test run. The anticipation was stressfully pleasant. Put it on the test track, applied power and _ _ _ _ _ motion. The little steamer scooted back and forth or demand. Another toy train is back for another 50 years of loving use.
frank

Before;

After;

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on January 08 2017 7:59:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - January 08 2017 :  11:06:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Awesome job. May it serve you well
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 08 2017 :  3:41:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Frank,

Neat little switcher.
Does the ash pan on that little Marx enclose big spur gears like the ones on their diesel drive?
Are both axles geared so that connecting rods between the drivers are not needed?

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 08 2017 :  4:24:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
did Marx ever make a kit to put on a more realistic running gear like Varney did?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 08 2017 :  7:06:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Thanks Zelda.
* Don, you got it right. The big gear like on all Marx diesel drives. Only the Hudson and 0-4-0 999 use a worm to drive gear. All else the big gear turns a geared shaft with 2 worm gears and they turn the geared wheel axels.
& Buss what you see, you got. Only a main rod, and no side rods, and no valve gear.

Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 09 2017 06:15:48 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Richard
Switcher

Posted - January 14 2017 :  10:56:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see Richard's MSN Messenger address  Add Richard to Buddylist
quote:
Ken : It runs fine on the switching layout that I have.
That is one awesome bash! This type of modelling is up my alley so I can appreciate the work that you did. How did you join the last driver set to the Tyco frame? The only thing I would have done differently would have been to use a can motor instead of the open frame motor but what a nice job you did. I have converted several Tyco 'Chats' to eliminate the awful tender drive, each one in a different way.
Richard in Vermont

Originally posted by toptrain - January 12 2009 :  3:00:14 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 42  ~  Member Since: October 31 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 05 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 15 2017 :  07:46:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Ken : It runs fine on the switching layout that I have.
That is one awesome bash! This type of modelling is up my alley so I can appreciate the work that you did. How did you join the last driver set to the Tyco frame? The only thing I would have done differently would have been to use a can motor instead of the open frame motor but what a nice job you did. I have converted several Tyco 'Chats' to eliminate the awful tender drive, each one in a different way.
Richard in Vermont

Originally posted by toptrain - January 12 2009 :  3:00:14 PM

Originally posted by Richard - January 14 2017 :  10:56:36 AM

Richard;
My way of attaching the 5th driver was a very simple one. I found a particular axel brass bearing used in Mantua - Tyco MU drives fit nicely and if adjusted held the axel to the existing frame. I post some photos.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on September 28 2017 07:40:22 AM

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 15 2017 :  8:39:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Frank, that's an interestingly resourceful way of adding another axle. I'm going to have to stick that away in the back of my head, just in case I need that trick some time.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 18 2017 :  08:16:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well Shaggy, the only think I can say is it works. If it ever wears out, I have pleanty more. You know I never completed this decapod. I still need to remove the flanges from the center driver and maybe the 3 center ones. It does run good on those straight aways. It don't like turns.

* You may have seen the photo of the Marx NYC 0-4-0t I got runnng again. Well lurking behind it is my next project a Penn-Line - Varney GG1 in need of some pentagraph work and as always a good cleaning and lube. This old shorty has had its main drives rebuilt with Bowser metal parts, bringing it back to the original Penn-line quality. The only plastic parts under that metal body is the front and rear trucks. Dont ask me which it the front and which is the rear for I dont know. A guess is the one in the front when it is going in one direction.
frank

*** Here it is still lurking !

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 18 2017 08:26:43 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 25 2017 :  5:58:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a odd locomotive. The PRR F7 body is a Penn-Line. The drive looks like a early Athearn Geared drive. The motor is different to me. I have seen it before and didn't know what it was then either. I just knew it ran very well.
* It is possibly a re-motored with a after market motor.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 25 2017 6:04:52 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 25 2017 :  6:02:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Now this B&O GP7 looks to me to be a early Athearn geared drive, with a Athearn motor.
Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 28 2017 07:42:10 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 28 2017 :  07:19:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
*** Mantua Bell of the Eighties
At the November twelfth 2016 Allentown First Frost train show I acquired a Mantua "Bell of the Eighties" 4-4-0 Old timer. It looks like a old beat up locomotive. The drive is intact. No important pieces are missing. The tender has been damaged and almost 3 inches of the upper edge of tender is missing. A little oil and the drive turns very well.

* It was not till the last week of December that the model found its way to the work bench. The tender body is a write off. I have a Gem Olympic brass tender to replace it with. Only working on the loco body I took the boiler apart, and stripped the body of paint. Looked through my parts and found some stuff. A fancy Kemtron bell and headlight. A different steam dome. A Kemtron pilot draw bar for old time locomotive pilots. It is to long but maybe I can shorten it. I know somewhere in a box or tray someplace is a well detailed, entire cab in plastic, a kit, for a old time loco. I haven't found it yet. I am painting the boiler Russian Iron gray. The cab and walkways different greens. The smoke box black. The tender 2 of the greens.

* This is where I am now.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 28 2017 08:00:29 AM

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 28 2017 :  08:50:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
That Belle is shaping up to be a pretty nice engine. Enjoying the updates.
Carpe Manana!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 29 2017 :  4:10:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Here is a good look at the boiler detail on my bell.
frank

toptrain

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - January 29 2017 :  4:46:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
That looks very lovely!
I really need to get a hold of an old-timer one of these days

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 29 2017 :  5:13:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
That looks very lovely!
I really need to get a hold of an old-timer one of these days

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - January 29 2017 :  4:46:32 PM

me too
tho the Tyco General in V&T colors is close
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 13 2017 :  11:34:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My work bench is still cluttered up with broken stuff for repair. The IMP 4-6-0 camelback went back to the Saylorsburg branch, but other work has arrived.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 16 2017 :  09:05:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
My work bench is still cluttered up with broken stuff for repair. The IMP 4-6-0 camelback went back to the Saylorsburg branch, but other work has arrived.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - February 13 2017 :  11:34:30 AM

* The electric loco by Hornby has a new coupler and is serviced and done.
* The Fleishmann pacific needs A new center driver and the hardware to fasten the rods and valve gear, so it remains undone .
* The Marx WP F3A is all fixed and ready for work.
* The other Marx UP F3A, not seen for my Grandson has been busy, has a new rear coupler and is lubed.
* The 2 Marx 0-4-0t still await service.
* The Lee town, Mantua conversion will be looked at soon.
* My Fleishmann 2-8-2 was worked on yesterday. I stripped a 2-6-0 of it drivers to replace the corrode ones, being the same parts. I'll do something separate with that engine here. It is ashame to take apart a good 2-6-0 for parts. I do see them at train shows so if I want one, they do show up.
* Work on the Mantua bell of the eighties has been stopped for now because of the need for a new cab. The original has no detail other than squared off holes for windows, and the unconnected pieces keep opening. Got to make or buy a better one.

frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 16 2017 :  10:40:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The loco I worked on yesterday was the Fleischmann 2-8-2 #1367 I got at the Allentown train show on 11-12-2016. I got 3 corroded locomotives that day for cheep. I looked for drive parts at all the shows I went to since that date and nothing could be found. I had gotten a 1350 2-6-0 months before and it was just sitting in its box doing nothing. Both 1367 and 1350 have the same drivers and mount to the same size axel. So I took part the 2-6-0 for parts for the 2-8-2. The Mikado will be of much more use to me.

* Here is 1367 when I got it ;

* Here are the 5 bad drivers !
]

* This what I did to it so far; Right now the drive is binding !

* Here is 2-6-0 1350 now ; I got it a Allentown First frost on Nov 14, 2015.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 16 2017 4:17:15 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 16 2017 :  3:48:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* To clear the binding I removed the motor and electrical pickups. I removed the side rods leaving only the wheels , axels. and frame. Placeing it on the test track and giving it a little push it rolled easily the 3, length os the test track. These wheels had to e quartered by hand and eye. Not the best way, but my puller and quarter would work with the wheels in the frame. I replaced the right side of the side rods. They will be making the right rail common with the frame. The roll test showed some binding going on. The first and last axels were OK ! I kept them connected tightly. I loosened the 2nd axel slightly and the binding cleared. I had a couple special washers for this problem and used one. I was able to tighten all 4 side screws and there was no binding. I installed the left side rods and the binding was back. I looked again to the second driver and loosened it and again the binding cleared. Same problem on both sides. I used my second washer. I have no binding in the frame with axels and rods installed.
* This is where I am right now. I do know this loco has a short to frame on the electrical pick-ups. I'll have to insulate them from the frame. Do this tomorrow. Have to get ready to meet some friends for some beers.
Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 16 2017 3:50:20 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 16 2017 :  1:51:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Actually, I forgot about this Fleischmann mikado 2-8-2 repair. What I finally did, I was able to use 3 driver sets from a 2-6-0. They were the same size and fit perfectly. I took the best of the remaining driver knowing that mast 4 axel drives use blind drivers an on the inside pair of axels. It is very common in Mantua and Penn-line. So now it is together and running. I still don't like doing it this way. I will be looking for another Fleischmann Mikado for parts.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 16 2017 :  1:56:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ok, now I got at Allentown a Fleischmann mikado with no tender. What do I do now? Well if i can find the remaining parts to the 2-6-0 I took apart, I put it back together. At least then I won't be using corroded parts on my locos. Maybe somehow I can double head 2-6-0's. I won't know until I get started. I got to finish my Streamlined pacific first. The BLZ I am repowering.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 16 2017 1:58:11 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 16 2017 :  2:57:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Good luck, toptrain! Can't wait to see the finished product.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 04 2017 :  8:48:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well the last few days I've spent some time fixing trains. These are the done ones.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 29 2017 :  08:05:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
**** The BLZ 231-761. This was all I knew about this loco when first I got it. Members here searched out , found, and shared the info with us all. I like it because it was streamlined and die-cast. I'll probably not post anything right now but I will wait until the loco Is completed and post it all at once. No one wants to read a story that is interrupted again and again. This is a very rare HO steam engine and I may even make a separate thread for it with only a few post on it in this section.

frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 23 2018 :  06:43:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* A look at some old Athearn diesel drives being mated to Bodies,
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 15 2018 :  7:28:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The Santa Fe Horse Car made by Lionel for Hallmark.

View 1, original car as I received it. It is a HO scale size car on tin plate trucks and couplers.

View 2, Bottom view of original trucks and couplers.

View 3 replaced trucks and couplers. Trucks are now die-cast and spring Arch bar. Couplers are now KD's.

View 4 shows complete car with doors open.

View 5 close up of open horse door.

View 6 final view of the completed car.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 15 2018 7:30:10 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 15 2018 :  7:36:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
the bad wheels would make for a neat fence around a yard
or a display in a scrap yard

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 15 2018 :  7:52:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I like that car Frank. Unique, with the different doors. Those original trucks are interesting. ?Are they replicas of what Lionel put on their early O and standard gauges? Did the car come with horses?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 15 2018 :  8:18:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
This car inspired me to look for images of horse cars and I found this one . . .

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 15 2018 :  9:51:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Very unique car, toptrain! Nice job replacing the couplers and bottom-trucks.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 16 2018 :  05:50:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
I like that car Frank. Unique, with the different doors. Those original trucks are interesting. ?Are they replicas of what Lionel put on their early O and standard gauges? Did the car come with horses?

Originally posted by Barry - February 15 2018 :  7:52:33 PM

*Barry. The trucks aren't very useful for any gauge train I know of. The couplers are large dummy types. The car looks Ok now when it is run with other HO cars. The horses came with the car. It reminds me of a Lionel O gauge operating car that used a two-door system like this one has. Cows would go from a fenced in pen up one ramp into the car. Pass through the car, and go out and down the other ramp back into the pen.
* I do wonder if Hallmark made other cars of this type. A set meant to be displayed together.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 16 2018 05:55:45 AM

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 16 2018 :  1:41:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Some items (mostly locomotives) from the Hallmark Great American Railways Collection . . .
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=lionel+ho+scale+hallmark+edition+horse+car&_sop=10&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0

Edited by - toptrain on July 16 2022 08:51:31 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 16 2018 :  3:54:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Barry, I checked out the link and was mainly locomotives. There were 2 more horse cars. I guess not to many different cars were made. Thanks Barry.
frank

toptrain

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 18 2018 :  3:01:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A bit off the beaten path, but it is on my workbench, or kitchen table.
I have an interest in paleontology, and I am curious about the
attempt to clone a Wooly Mammoth. The reason that the extinct
mammoth is subject of this attention, is that its 45,000 year old
DNA is viably frozen in the Siberian Tundra, where as other DNA
bits, like that of the T Rex, are identifiable, but quite, quite degraded
after 65,000,000 years.

My play on a dinosaur excavation upon the Tycomania VII Layout:

My first efforts at providing the Mammoth with a shaggy coat is not
going so well. First I tried to trim hair off the family Husky:

(her name is "Daisy"), but the fur is too filmy and thin and
goes everywhere.

Then I tried Woodland Scenic's grass, thinking I could paint it gray, but it
is beginning to look like a thatch hut upon four legs...

So, I think what I might do is get rid of the "hair," and roll the elephant
in sawdust, add a fore lock of hair, and paint that gray.

Mammoth tusks also had a distinctive backward curl.

Did you know, if you have the $$ you can purchase frozen mammoth steaks
from Russia, and that Mammoth tusks are a hot item on the ivory market?
Truthfully, I'd sooner eat cat food that a 45,000 year old lump of mammoth
flesh. Disgusting. Has that odd TV personality who travels the globe eating
different weird foods (spiders, rats, brains, rotten skate) tried it yet?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 18 2018 :  8:15:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great work, Chops. Nice job on kitbashing a wooly mammoth!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 18 2018 :  10:51:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Did you know, if you have the $$ you can purchase frozen mammoth steaks from Russia, and that Mammoth tusks are a hot item on the ivory market? Truthfully, I'd sooner eat cat food that a 45,000 year old lump of mammoth flesh. Disgusting.
Originally posted by Chops124 - February 18 2018 :  3:01:22 PM

Available at your grocer's frozen food aisle. Best if served before A.D. 2500.

Carpe Manana!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 09 2018 :  6:09:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
An eclectic day. Bouncing around to different projects which have been
collecting dust on the shelf:

A Viking ship excavation, in the manner of Sutton Hoo. Britain's history is
mind blowing. One can almost stick a shovel in the ground and up comes
some astonishing relic that really has no earthly business being there.
Roman mosaics, Viking burial sites, coins from ancient Morocco, fossils
of fronds, it just never ends.

A fantasy piece inspired by a long lost, now found, Electrotren piece.
A handful of beads from a curio shop makes for delightful OO amphorae.

A lovely British thatch cottage by Dapol. Needs a little touch up, but is coming along fine.
Painting by my daughter, Bella.

This one is a little hard to explain, but I will try: my sister, and booster of my Tycomania,
collects Kewpie Dolls, which can be quite old, and made of brittle celluoid. She found
these Kewpie Decals, from a Japanese manufacturer of mayonnaise (quite a big
condiment over there), which has a history that dates back to the 1920's. Anyhow,
she asked me to do a Kewpie box car.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 09 2018 :  6:37:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great work, Chops!! That Viking Ship looks stunning!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 11 2018 :  3:16:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Inspired by the Electrotren Olive Oil Jug Wagon, I found a box of beads at
a curio shop and started expanding the Jug Fleet.

Edited by - Chops124 on March 11 2018 3:17:33 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 12 2018 :  08:34:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Well, another wrecked loco has joined my roster of junk loco's awaiting restoration.
frank

* it will most definitely spend days on the workbench. The real damage to this model is here
in the smoke box and foiler front section. The cab damage is obvious and a slight
problem. I need some time for this repair. Tender trucks and a drawbar will be replaced.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 12 2018 09:32:13 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 23 2018 :  7:42:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** The 4-6-0 Reading camelback below posted on 3-12-18 has now been turned into this. And is awaiting a kitbashing rebuild. it is in need of a boiler repair and possible shortening.
Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 23 2018 7:47:41 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 23 2018 :  7:54:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Good luck on this project! It looks to me to be way tedious......

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 28 2018 :  3:47:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This is a new way of "kit bashing." It is called "layout bashing," in this case courtesy of
Chopsticks the cat. What a mess. However, I don't think it will require more than a half
a dozen hours to piece it back together, and a pot of glue. I'd like to have it ready for
El Paso's "Street Car Days" coming up in May. El Paso is re-installing a short segment
of street car lines.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 28 2018 :  10:29:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
This is a new way of "kit bashing." It is called "layout bashing," in this case courtesy of
Chopsticks the cat. What a mess. However, I don't think it will require more than a half
a dozen hours to piece it back together, and a pot of glue. I'd like to have it ready for
El Paso's "Street Car Days" coming up in May. El Paso is re-installing a short segment
of street car lines.

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 28 2018 :  3:47:30 PM

Yikes! 0___0

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 02 2018 :  6:42:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Rec'd this NIB vintage Hornby 4-6-0 via USPS with the left cylinder busted off. The package
was well packed and had plenty of dunnage to protect it, so someone at USPS really must
have pounded this antique.

I could get a refund, but hate the thought of this beautiful piece end up in the trash. Seems like a
simple repair, but I could not get the cylinder to mate with the frame- until I thought maybe it would
fit right if I globbed it up with Liquid Nails and put the assembly back into the original plastic
cradle, and that mostly worked- it is slightly out of line, here being reset, will test it tomorrow
and see if it works.

I love this old British stuff, it is built like old Lionel and has great color.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 04 2018 :  5:48:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Progress on the trolley rebuild, but some structures or so bashed that re-assembly
is not really an option, given what I can do.

Had to send the 4-6-0 back, after finally getting the broken cylinder to set up
for an overnight dry with JB Weld, come to find out it seems to be missing at
least a commutator brush.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 04 2018 5:50:29 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 04 2018 :  6:56:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The trolley layout is looking great! So sorry to hear that about the British 4-6-0.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 05 2018 :  11:57:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
So, I had another Terrier 0-6-0 come in, this one from England,
fine looking piece, and the motor is dead as a wedge. Doing a
few bits at a time on Smeltertown, it is a tangled mess.

And the kitty says: HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Santa Fe Tyco Operating Box  cars Topic Next Topic: Portland style box motor kitbash  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000