Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Lets talk TYCO! Our Collections
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Who Wants To Live Here? Topic Next Topic: Got Scotch?  

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - November 17 2006 :  3:37:31 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
While at work the other day I was thinking about my TYCO collection and how most of the model railroading community thinks collection TYCO is so eccentric because its not a super detailed KATO SD40 I just paid 80$ for. Since we all on the list share a common practice of collecting TYCO trains how big are your collections? I will share some details about mine to get the subject started.

I have in my collection:

350 peices of rolling stock...all brown box.....about 50 which are not boxed such as promotional cars and one I purchased recently which is an extremly rare pre-production model of the TYCO 54 foot covered hopper.

I have 40 locomotives...5 of which are not boxed.

20 action acccessories all mint ,95% sealed in their boxes.

50 building kits.... which 99% of those are sealed in box.

At this current time I do not have any catalogs as I want to start collecting those next.

I store my collection in some real nice cabinets that have 4 shelves each I picked up at TARGET for about 30$ each and they stand about 4 feet tall. Helps keep the dust and moisture away.I soon plan to buy some display shelves to hang on the wall to display my promotional cars and loose rolling stock. A seller has some real nice ones on eBay in 3 diffrent styles of wood.They are alittle pricey but look very nice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-scale-Train-Display-Cabinet-w-Glass-door_W0QQitemZ290043784068QQihZ019QQcategoryZ484QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I also have some odds and ends like smoke oil on the blister card and track still sealed on blister cards.
When I feel like my TYCO collection is complete I one day want to start collecting Life-Like stuff from the blue to yellow box era.My wife will probably leave me at that point LOL!

So if you guys have a few extra minutes I would like to hear about your collections too!

A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 17 2006 :  4:06:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Wow[:O]...you got a lot!!! I don't have anywhere near that but here's what Tyco stuff I have:
-6 working engines (4 have powertorques, none in boxes)
-12 pieces of rolling stock (2 in original boxes, 1 in wrong box)
-2 buildings (unassembled and in boxes) and 2 buildings assembled without boxes

...I think thats it.

BudWeiser:have you ever seen one of those bumperstickers that says "my wife says if I get one more train, she will leave me"???

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - November 17 2006 :  4:50:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
I'm in the process of doing an inventory so I'll post mine later. I'm re-wrapping, organizing and grading everything right now. One other purpose is to get ready for selling on ebay, not much Tyco, but all those others I received in lots I bought. I'm making an access database which I can access from the web so no matter where I am I'll know whether not I need to get or upgrade an item. There's just so much, Tyco made a LOT of stuff.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 17 2006 :  11:10:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
My collection is pretty small, but I like to think I have some quality pieces.

For the moment I'm limiting myself to things that really catch my eye, mean something to me, or have a real use on my railroad. The occasional "score" is fair game too...

But I'm skipping the completist mindset for now since most of this stuff will always be out there. As for waiting and wating for uber-cheap finds... there's only so much time to troll around so I have a tendency to jump when I want it (within reason). I mean, when it's all said and done, a collection is just a pile 'o stuff. I tried the "completist" ethic once... anybody know where I can unload a near-complete run of 1991-2000 1/64 Nascars? [Oops!]

But anyway- I have about a dozen Tyco locos that run; probably about 2 or 3 dozen dozen cars, and a handful of key accessories and survivors from my childhood. Good stuff, all of it ;) I'm really enjoying these old toys more and more!

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on November 17 2006 11:13:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jlong
Big Six

Posted - November 17 2006 :  11:14:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jlong to Buddylist
Everything I own is red box (so far). 3 diesels (GP-20, C430, F9). 2 steamers (Shifter, Mike - kit). 3 SL pass coaches and a dozen freight cars.

I've made display case for other trains I collect out of pine board stock, plywood, and storm window glass.

John Long
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 288  ~  Member Since: September 04 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 08 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - November 18 2006 :  02:59:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
Youre right! This stuff will be out there a long time to come.
A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scmich
Little Six

Posted - November 18 2006 :  12:05:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
I started collecting Brown Box when I saw some on ebay about 9 yrs ago. I got all nostalgic. I already had about thirty pieces in nice shape from my childhood in the early to mid 70's. I can't remember being happier than when I was playing with my Tyco trains at Xmas those years.

I don't have room for an an operating layout, but I am installing a Rail Rax type display on two walls of our family room. I will enclose in glass for posterity. I will have a little over 200 unique pieces on display. Each shelf will have one loco and matching caboose, and a line of specific types of rolling stock. One shelf of Triple dome tankers. one shelf of single dome/chrome/chemical tankers etc. 18 shelves in all right now. I focused on modern era stuff, no steam locos or old-time passenger cars.

I should have everything installed come Feb. I am using my tax return to purchase 200 ft of Rail Rax type shelving. I am trying to find a similar system that is just for HO scale, and has a little narrower profile. If anyone has suggestions. I need to find a shelf about a quarter inch to half inch narrower than the Rail Rax.

Once this is installed, I think I will start looking at some Red Box era. My older brother had mostly Red Box when we were kids. I would like to find more Road names that weren't available in the Brown box era, especially the Reefers and 40ft box cars with sliding doors. There were a lot more road names that would complement my current items.

I am really glad I found this site. I will post a phot of my completed display, hopefully before March.

Scott, Pittsburgh, PA

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 120  ~  Member Since: October 26 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 19 2006 :  11:35:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Hey,

I'd love to see ILUVBUDWSR's pre-production TYCO 54ft. Covered Hopper....tell us more...give us pictures!

You really owe it to yourself to put together a set of catalogs. They are by no means a complete reference to what was made, but they do provide much info and are tons of fun to sit and page through over and over again.

Most of the '60s and '70s catalogs don't go for much at all on eBay. The '80s get a bit sticky, I've seen the early 1980s catalog go for $25-or more. And the late '80s to 1993 editions have so many non-train toy line products that you have to battle a wider scope of collectors for them at times. A good tip to search eBay for catalogs is to do a general search in all categories for "TYCO Catalog" as often they get placed in slot cars or other non-train categories.

As for my collection, my focus is mid-'70s to early-'80s. I think I've nailed many of the odd ducks from that period...Cotton Belt F-9...GM&O GP20...NP-NYC-Santa Fe Sharks...New Haven GG1...but I tend to often bring a piece in to look at it and review it for the site and then often send it back on its way. The non-cataloged BN locos are current examples of this, I've got the Diesel Switcher and F-9A and will likely put them back on eBay eventually after I'm finished doing photos and review for the site.

Outside of TYCO, I have a good amount of COX HO as well as pretty solid group of the PEMCO line. Both were always favorits of mine. Also many Bachmann and AHM pieces too.

I've never inventoried my stuff, which I should. Many times I'll see something on eBay and think I need to pick one of those up...only to find in a box weeks or months later...Oh I have one of these, cool!...[^]

Tony

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 26 2019 :  9:57:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

My Tyco collection is from the brown box era of the 1970s.
Very few red box cars from the 1960s.
A few 1980s items as well.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5776  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 26 2019 :  11:12:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
My Tyco is also from the 1970's era. I don't think I have any red box pieces...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 27 2019 :  12:26:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I got about 50 or so Tyco billboards, which Form the core
Of what I really like. At one tie I thought it was fun
To collect as many of a cheap Tyco, like NH box cars
Or BN boxes. Then there was the stuff I was gifted,
Which is a bit f a headache, because it is typically
in low demand. Maybe time to thin the herd?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - December 27 2019 :  09:20:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
-Every Tyco Brown Box Alco
-30 to 40 MIB locomotives
-Multiple MIB lettered zeal Spirit of 76 430s
-several prototypes
-If it’s rare and Tyco chances are I have it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 27 2019 :  9:00:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I collect both "Red Box Era" & "Brown Box Era" Tyco locomotives and train cars, and have about 90% of all of Tyco's operating accessories.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 11 2020 :  12:09:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Many ghosters, few posters. I’d have guessed current
circumstances would’ve been more, not less posting
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Who Wants To Live Here? Topic Next Topic: Got Scotch?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000