Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 This place is really picking up some steam.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: HO Trolley Buses. Topic Next Topic: Do you believe this??  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - October 24 2006 :  01:02:28 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Month Posts
January 36
February 59
March 19
April 60
May 21
June 41
July 123
August 158
September 331
October 717
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator 

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 24 2006 :  01:17:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
LOL I've noticed too. Used to be I could hit every new post and topic in a matter of minutes. I've been here off/on all evening tonight (yipe!) and it's STILL going!

At this rate, in a couple months it'll be one of those places that if you miss a couple days, um... don't bother? heh heh.

Glad to see it though. I felt kinda silly when I started here a few months ago. Nice to know I'm not alone (even if MagAc gives me guff sometimes ;) )

Thanks for providing this for us! If you ever need help with it, let me know.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

relivingthepast
Switcher

Posted - October 24 2006 :  01:24:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add relivingthepast to Buddylist
So I guess the more of us that want to relive are child hood the more its going to cost. Supply and demand. So maybe I will hold off on my son playing with these soon to be high priced and collectible trains. I'm going to hoard all I can now so I can be rich in a few years.[:p]
We have nothing to fear, but fear itself!" - FDR
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 33  ~  Member Since: October 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 03 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - October 24 2006 :  02:21:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
As far as help goes, it would be nice to have a few active members become moderators. Mods can move posts to appropriate categories, lock out nasty people (it's only a matter of time) and other little goodies. As the forums get more and more popular it would be nice to know others are looking after the place.

As far as the hoarding goes. I have a theory. We know that the US has an aging population. There is a bubble of older folks who will pass hopefully before any of us do. The market is going to get flooded (gradually, not in a flash) with a large population's collectables. Supply and demand would dictate a buyers market for a while. Of course this is only part of the equation but it does sound sensible to me.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 24 2006 :  10:55:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
Regarding the passing generation:
Any friend, fan or member of the Train Collectors Association (TCA) knows precisely of what NYC speaks. Part of the current glut--and subsequent sometimes-precipitous fall in price--of some of the fancy new "old" Lionel and MTH O scale made at the height of the "geezer" Toy Train explosion is due to the death of a generation. While the HO scale "memory purchasers", thanks to a multitude of sales venues heretofore unknown in the hobby, have access to a relatively large collective repository of "hi-rail" train set HO, their growing collecting instincts are driving prices currently upward. Still, I don't see the same cycle of: neglect, attention, collection of original, copying of original, happening in train set HO. There is, as NYC and others here have sadly pointed out, a dwindling pool of interested young bodies, and more importantly, a virtual mountain of neglected, often NOS material fodder.
Collect your memories, sure. And get 'em in multiple; get 'em to salvage; get 'em to try your hand at the sadly dying art of detail modeling. Get 'em, above all, to run.
HO Hi-rail is exactly like Standard gauge of the 1920s, it just takes up less space: it is a home-grown, vividly rendered, innovative and often brilliantly executed kinetic art form than demands motion to impart maximum enjoyment.
MagAc
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 446  ~  Member Since: December 09 2005  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2006 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jlong
Big Six

Posted - October 24 2006 :  10:05:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jlong to Buddylist
Magnolia, The "glut" you speak of with O gauge 3 rail is driven by more conditions than O gaugers dying off. As far as "new" trains are concerned, a lot of it has to do with manufacturers competing for the same train dollar as they saturate the market with the same stuff. Lionel and MTH in particular. One does a Espee GS-4 and it's a sell out. The other has to do one too and poof - blowout sale. Another thing they do is they utilize tooling as much as they can by putting ho-hum paint schemes on equipment. Stuff only a few roadname loyalists buy. First they do a green GG1 and it's a sell out. A Tuscan GG1 follows and it sells well too. OK, let's do Amtrack in silver. Poof - blowout sale. Dealers who lack train genes often have trouble sorting it all out when trying to figure out how much of what to stock and often end up stuck with it all. Another condition causing the glut is "new" trains become dated within five years as the same engines get re-issued with improved command control and sounds. First generation MTH engines are getting 30 cents on the dollar. Oil prices have cut into people's budgets drastically as well as people spend what a nice boxcar costs filling up their tanks which is what is causing the most recent downswing.

Declining TCA numbers have more to do with people coming to the O gauge hobby as operators where the TCA is more focused on collecting vintage trains and researching the history of vintage trains. Something I enjoy a lot. I know of many serious O gaugers who don't belong to a club or subsribe to a magazine so statistics are rather blurred I think.

Postwar Lionel prices have dropped and it has a lot to do with my second paragragh. People ditching postwar for new stuff. There was a time you could write "Lionel" on a napkiin and sell it. Not so anymore. In the late 1990's the quality and running characteristics of new trains surpassed that of postwar trains. That's when people began really ditching postwar for new stuff. Postwar still has a big place in my heart but I do like some of the new stuff. The recently announced Atlas Trainman O gauge RSD-15 Gator is a must have. Personally, I am happy to see postwar has come down to more reasonable levels as there is a lot of stuff still on my wish list. Stuff that was unobtainable for me ten years ago.

The golden rule for me when I buy anything train is I never look back. I do not keep records of what I spent. I do draw on a budget that flexes and try to buy smart and all. But, after the sale is final, it's get on the floor, smell the ozone, and to hell with real world economics, collecting philosophies and all that jazz.

John Long
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 288  ~  Member Since: September 04 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 08 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - October 27 2006 :  4:53:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
It took 11 months before we attained 1000 posts on this forum. For this month of October we have already eclipsed 1000 for the month. Luvin it!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - June 21 2020 :  10:09:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Always will have steam to its last turn. Fourteen years and counting.
Reaching fifteen year mark. Full steam ahead. Thanks Todd.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: HO Trolley Buses. Topic Next Topic: Do you believe this??  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000