Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Welcome to "New Hursley" and "Dripping Springs"
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: For the Die- Hard Tyconauts Topic Next Topic: Help with Sky Backdrops  

cicsos2
Little Six

SF Num 1108

Posted - May 26 2008 :  12:17:09 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add cicsos2 to Buddylist
Originally, most of these pictures and comments were in the "Introduce Yourself" area.

I'm moving many of these into the Layouts area.

This is a fairly simple layout, done mainly for fun for myself, as part of my retirement activities, and my grandson. Some of the pictures are slightly out of sequence, but thats not a big deal. A part of the trains and several of the houses were given to me by a friend - that date from about 1960.

So, here are a some pictures of the layout:

On the West side, two trains running in opposite directions.. Of these structures, some are new, some were
part of the gift and there is one house (it has a thatch roof) that I bought at the Potter's Heron hotel in
Hursley, England about 20 years ago.

On the East side, one train - this is the residential side. All of these structures were done by my friend.

The Santa Fe train station is my first kit build:

My first pond - has a heavy West wind blowing. As you all know, we learned from our mistakes - and I
learned a lot on this one part.

I'm hoping that WalMart will add some more 1:87 cars...

A few weeks pass before the next pictures were made.

------------------------------

I've decided to make my pond fed by a spring coming from the mountain. So, I'm replacing the real rocks
with the following:

I'm using beaded stryofoam for the base (all shaping done in the garage - since it is so messy)

Here is a distant picture:

Lets see how it looks with some rocks and trees

And then, using blue paper - layout the stream and its path down to the pond.

Back to the garage for some shapping, a layer of plaster cloth for the extension to the mountain

Rather than use real rocks, I took each rock, put some plastic wrap used to cover a food disk around it and
covered that with plaster cloth.

After a couple of hours, I carefully removed each rock and trimmed up the edges.

Before I forget, here are some pictures of the mid 1970s Tyco train set I acquired last week. The flatbed
was missing one of the tractors. I added a small van, beand name Malibu, cost 99 cents, at WalMart.

In the background is my "Art in the Park" - an old, wooden, Cookie Monstor.

Thats all for today, more to come.

-----------------------------------

two days pass.

I've bought some Stucco Patch - it is thick and has lots of sand. I applied a coat to the base and then to each "rock". The smaller rocks held their shape fairly well, but the larger ones did hot. However, since the plaster plus stucco patch became so soft, I was able to give the rocks a lot of character.

I've named this section Dripping Springs.

This is a view from the right side - a mine shack will sit on the top level. The water comes from an underground spring that comes up from below a rock on the middle level and then flows downward between the rocks.

This is a head on view. I'm going to let it dry for at least a day before painting and adding the water to the creek, using clear window calk.

And the left side view. This will go up against the existing mountain.

Cheers
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 122  ~  Member Since: May 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: July 29 2019 Alert Moderator 

Puppyfang
Big Six

shark1

Posted - May 26 2008 :  9:53:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Puppyfang to Buddylist
Looking good...you might look for the aqua water stuff that they have at art stores or places that sell foral stuff like patatans also for the water... used in floral arragements..some are two parts and some you boil to use...clear as glass then you see it...works nice depending on the creek or lake...sometimes you have to keep it level or a little angle until it gels up...you can put anything in it before hand like weeds and even fish...keep up th good project...Garret
"Though amid all the smoking horror and diabolism of a sea-fight, SHARKS will be seen longingly gazing up to the ship's decks, like hungry dogs round a table where red meat is being carved, ready to bolt down every killed man that is tossed to them . . ." by Herman Melville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 209  ~  Member Since: March 25 2008  ~  Last Visit: August 03 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cicsos2
Little Six

SF Num 1108

Posted - May 29 2008 :  09:37:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cicsos2 to Buddylist
Status update:

With the exception of trees ... and some folks taking a vacation on the beach ... its just about ready.

and a couple of closer pictures:

and from the far side:

Cheers
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 122  ~  Member Since: May 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: July 29 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cicsos2
Little Six

SF Num 1108

Posted - May 30 2008 :  12:08:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cicsos2 to Buddylist
Welcome to "Dripping Springs" - the vacation destination for the folks leaving in and near "New Hursley".

Boating, swimming and fishing are available.

All sorts of water creatures abound in the lake, which is spring fed.

Cheers
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 122  ~  Member Since: May 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: July 29 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cicsos2
Little Six

SF Num 1108

Posted - June 20 2008 :  6:21:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cicsos2 to Buddylist
I've upgraded a part of the town - the small plateau is made from old political signs ...

a couple of pictures before decorations are added..

Roads from old roofing ..

ground cover - light green tinted sawdust..

Theres a flower bed inside the curve with red, blue, yellow and purple colors.

A walkway over the road is provided for the local children to get to school.

The Fire Station with an antique fire engine ..

The Dripping Springs lake has been invaded with more creatures from Jurassic Park

Including the great white shark ..

A general view ..

Cheers
Bill

Rush2NY
Little Six

Posted - June 25 2008 :  6:34:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Rush2NY to Buddylist
Great Layout! I love your sense of humor and imagination with the dinosaurs and shark!

Russ
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 100  ~  Member Since: June 18 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 01 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cicsos2
Little Six

SF Num 1108

Posted - June 25 2008 :  6:57:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cicsos2 to Buddylist
Thanks .. the credit for the extra critters belongs to my wife.

Bill

Cheers
Bill

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 04 2020 :  11:57:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some nice scenes in the layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 04 2020 :  3:04:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ahhhh, thank you, WKS, much more to my speed. Wonder what
happened with this chap? Love those critters and the windy lake.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: For the Die- Hard Tyconauts Topic Next Topic: Help with Sky Backdrops  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000