Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 A "Varney Xmas"
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Silver Streak tank cars Topic Next Topic: Atlas SD35 SEABOARD SYSTEM VIDEO  

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - December 25 2007 :  9:39:01 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Below are some pictures of a Varney set that I treated myself to this week.

SET BOX

CONTENTS

LOCOMOTIVE

Back page of December 1955 MODEL RAILROADER MAGAZINE
That this set was featured in.

The cars are complete and assembled but the track and power pack is missing. The little loco runs strong and is a impressive little puller... albeit it relies on side to side action to get the job done.

$29.95 was a lot of money in 1955 probably akin to the 249.99 my wife spent for the wii last week...and as far as that goes I do not see what all the fuss was about .

Bob Taylor
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator 

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 25 2007 :  9:49:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Are you sure that is the right locomotive for that set?
It looks like a Hobbyline loco more than a Varney Lil' Joe.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 25 2007 :  9:58:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Ray:

I'm with you on that! Not a L'il Joe...

-G
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - December 25 2007 :  10:12:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
How about a Tyco Booster II? Probably not, the crosshead guides are different, as well as the pumps, domes and firebox detail.

Edited by - shaygetz on December 25 2007 10:15:06 PM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - December 25 2007 :  10:27:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Well guys it looks like after "further inspection"...I got "beat".

Oh well ...live and learn.

Thanks for the heads up
Bob Taylor
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 25 2007 :  11:52:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
If it is the Hobbyline loco , it is most likely worth more than a Lil' Joe.
Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 26 2007 :  03:17:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
There are a few photos of the Hobbyline Tank engine on the HOSEEKER site.
http://www.hoseeker.net/hobbyline.html
Page 1 of the 1957 brochure and page 3 of the unknown year catalog.

Ray

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - December 26 2007 :  09:15:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Ray
Looking at the pictures you directed me to I can say with
100% certainty that is a Hobbyline loco.

Thanks again for the research.
Bob Taylor
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 26 2007 :  11:53:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
It shouldn't be to hard to find a Lil' Joe to go with the set.
I would guess it should be the all metal version if the cars are metal. If the cars are plastic either the metal or plastic shelled loco would be correct.
I'm not sure what kind of power pack or track would have been included, but a little research would reveal that.
The boxes in the condition they are in are a treasure in themselves to any collector.

Ray

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - December 26 2007 :  2:14:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
I hope to find one somewhere in my travels.

You are correct Ray the boxes are really solid.
The cars are plastic kits (built) and my research says it came with Atlas track.

I only paid 32.00 for the set so its not like I was taken for to bad of a ride.

Bob Taylor

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - December 26 2007 :  9:40:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Bob. Let me know the set number on the box. I should be able to give you some more information on the set. Carl
Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - December 26 2007 :  10:06:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Carl
I looked all over that box and cannot find a item number.
The above MR advertisement has"The Mighty Midget" listed
as item # 2434.

I do not know if that number is correct for this particular set.

Bob Taylor

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - December 30 2007 :  10:40:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Bob. I had to dig out my set. I have the same set. The set number, based on Catalogs and the Greenberg's Varney Guide is # 2434 Mighty Midget set.
It is the first set Varney made. It was listed in 1954/55. The Engine is the Diecast version of the "Lil Joe" 0-4-0T dockside. The set came with Fleischmann track, Not Atlas.
Atlas was used in later sets. Fleischmann had a relationship with Varney in the early years. It supplied track and transformers. You can see a picture of a Fleischmann transformer on the side of set box. Also the picture shows what appears to be Fleischmann style track.
In 1955/56 Varney started having Scintilla make their transformers and later used Atlas track. My set has the original Fleischmann track.
Now comes the problem. They stated that the transformer came with set in the box. I have the transformer and there is no way it will fit in the box. there is only so much space in a 14 X10 X 2 box. I believe like in the earlier years and with other sets, that the transformer was supplied in a Separately Package box sold with the set.
Will add pictures of the set and transformer later.
Bob,does your cars have Loop couplers or do they have the Varney plastic knuckle coupler?
The engine and cars in my set have the knuckle coupler.

You should be able to sell the Hobbyline Tank engine as it a hard to find item in exellent condition. I will keep a look out for an engine for you. A Diecast Varney Dockside recently went for over $100 on Evilbay. [:D] Carl

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )

Edited by - VintageHO on December 30 2007 6:08:13 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - December 31 2007 :  5:49:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Carl
My set has the plastic horn hook couplers.

Thanks
Bob

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 29 2008 :  3:43:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Concering your HObbyline 0-4-0t. The powered version is much harder to find than a Varney L'il Joe. Just to predate that piece a bit. HObbyline Made that for quite a few years then Lionel purchased the dies and changed that die slightly creating a inclosure atop the saddle tank and against the car. This loco was part of Lionels first HO that they released long ago. Lionels 0-4-0t, 0-6-0 switcher, 2-6-0, 2-4-2, 4-6-2, and FA diesel all came form HObbyline dies. So your is older and rarer than those mass produced lionel pieces.
Frank.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on September 29 2008 3:57:13 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 09 2020 :  5:53:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
Below are some pictures of a Varney set that I treated myself to this week.

SET BOX

CONTENTS

LOCOMOTIVE

Back page of December 1955 MODEL RAILROADER MAGAZINE
That this set was featured in.

The cars are complete and assembled but the track and power pack is missing. The little loco runs strong and is a impressive little puller... albeit it relies on side to side action to get the job done.

$29.95 was a lot of money in 1955 probably akin to the 249.99 my wife spent for the wii last week...and as far as that goes I do not see what all the fuss was about .

Bob Taylor

Originally posted by taycotrains - December 25 2007 :  9:39:01 PM

Someone's first Christmas gift so many decades ago.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5870  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Silver Streak tank cars Topic Next Topic: Atlas SD35 SEABOARD SYSTEM VIDEO  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000