Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Lionel Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Lionel HO is back. Again.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: It’s 1974 Again . . . Topic Next Topic: Lionel HO  

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - March 08 2023 :  4:00:37 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Looks like Lionel is back with a very limited selection, starting with their Berkshire and some ex-Model Power freight cars.

http://catalogs.lionel.com/2023/HO/

Edited by - Redwoods on March 08 2023 4:01:37 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 08 2023 :  4:18:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
It'll be interesting to see how this fares. The details are kind of rugged and course. It's definitely for a toy train market.

When I was growing up, a kid with a trainset could evolve into a model railroader carrying forward much of his equipment, which wouldn't look conspicuously out of place with the stuff built for the model market.

It looks like the toy stuff has moved back from that blurred boundary, in the toy direction. With all the delicate detail and expense to match in the model market, the models have moved the opposite way leaving a seemingly unbridgeable gulf in between.

I wonder how many parents will want to invest in something like this that will soon be grown out of.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 09 2023 :  10:53:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
How many computer cell phones and game systems become obsolete in less then two years
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 09 2023 :  1:51:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
It'll be interesting to see how this fares. The details are kind of rugged and course. It's definitely for a toy train market.

When I was growing up, a kid with a trainset could evolve into a model railroader carrying forward much of his equipment, which wouldn't look conspicuously out of place with the stuff built for the model market.

It looks like the toy stuff has moved back from that blurred boundary, in the toy direction. With all the delicate detail and expense to match in the model market, the models have moved the opposite way leaving a seemingly unbridgeable gulf in between.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - March 08 2023 :  4:18:34 PM

I don't know that I agree with that statement. I can't speak for Lionel, but Bachmann's stuff is light years better than the pancake motored stuff from the 1970s and 1980s. The freight cars, even in the cheapest train sets, are comparable to what I would have upgrades those old cars to. They have body mounted knuckle couplers, RP25 wheels, and finer stirrups that not only look better, they are much harder to break off. The Silver Series cars add metal wheels to the mix, and out of the box are better than anything on the market 40 years ago. The locomotives have smooth running can motors and fine handrails, and run comparable to an Athearn of years ago even though they lack flywheels. Once you get past the cheap power pack, or Bachmann's half hearted attempt at DCC (EZ Command) there is some good stuff there at modest cost. And unlike the pancake motored stuff of our era these locomotives will last.

Put another way, 40 years ago I wouldn't have touched a Bachmann locomotive with a ten foot pole. Now I have at least 30 of them
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 10 2023 :  12:15:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well I still want the old butt HO Lionel that was out in the 60s & 70s hehe
new I think I want the Polar Express

I have some of the old HO Lionel

would like moar of the accessories like the Banjo Signal I have for example

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 10 2023 :  9:28:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Always have enjoyed the E 33. Trucks are two axle, not three, like the prototype.
I found the longevity of this particular locomotive fascinating. It served under
several flags.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: It’s 1974 Again . . . Topic Next Topic: Lionel HO  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000