Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 39 ]  [ Total: 39 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Accessory of the week. (AOTW)
 AOTW Dec 25 to 31, 2022
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: AOTW Jan 1 to 7, 2023 Topic Next Topic: AOTW Dec 18 to 24, 2022   

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 28 2022 :  09:57:12 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist

Here is a blast from the past. Alot of people in this group are interested in the early days of HO. How many have heard of Midlin track? It was an early attempt to move beyond the handlaid track most serious modellers were forced to build in the early days. Midlin is still technically handlaid, but it used a rail with a web on the bottom that fit into slots in the ties. The web can clearly be seen in the bottom photo, as well as the slots in the ties. It took all the guesswork out of building track. You inserted the rails into the slots by pressing the ties on. The slots held the rails in perfect guage, and the track could be laid straight or curved like flexible track. You could glue the ties to the roadbed, or spike the rails to hold the track down. Reportedly they also made switches and crossings as well but I've never seen them. This piece came to me ion a piece of TruScale roadbed I bought off ebay. The last time I saw this track was on my grandfather's layout where he had some in one of the yards. He also had a loose piece and showed me how it worked. My grandfather built in HO starting around WW2, and was a whiz at building complex trackwork, and his layout showed this. Oh the memories.....x

Edited by - jward on December 28 2022 10:03:45 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator 

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - December 28 2022 :  1:13:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
I too have never heard of or seen this track. Hopefully if I ever see anything like this, I'll remember this thread. Thanks for posting this relic from the past!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 509  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: AOTW Jan 1 to 7, 2023 Topic Next Topic: AOTW Dec 18 to 24, 2022   
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000